The Game has crashed!

The Error Code is 0xc0000005. Last night, Microsoft forced an install that I had delayed. As a result, it disabled 2 of my SSDs. Once I got through fixing that I attempted to run the Sim and got this error. As I don’t understand the suggestions, I am here for suggestions.

I just tried MSFS2024 and it won’t start either - Error code 0x80004005!! Oh joy!

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked Event Viewer?

Checked Event Viewer for what? The Sim worked OK yesterday not today - I haven’t got a clue what the update did!

0xc0000005 is so generic. It can be many things.

And that helps how?

Open up one of the sims and let it crash. Once it does open up Event Viewer then go to Windows Logs → Application → (sort by Date and Time) and click the first one that says Error. Take a screenshot of that.

MSFS2020:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.38.2.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000
Faulting process id: 0x0x790C
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DB83C87C3BCC5E
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.38.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 15ae2895-15c5-4316-a9c8-6868825fbde6
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.38.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

There are also a bunch of files listed under ‘Information’.

I’m sorry for the snippy remark - today has not been one of my best. You didn’t deserve that.

Open up Command Prompt as an Admin type SFC /scannow then hit Enter. Let it do it’s thing then restart your PC.

It’s going.

Have you tried signing out and back into the Xbox app on your PC?
I’ve seen that fix the same error number with FS2024 before.

For FS2020, that code covers a lot of potential causes.
This article may be some help: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-troubleshoot-faulting-module-ucrtbase-dll-and-or-exception-code-0xc0000005-crashes/591670/1

@TheSevenflyer Right out of the gate, the ASUS Armory Crate updated when I first turned on the machine - have no idea what it is for but, as I have an ASUS MB, I assumed (bad thing to do) it was important.

You mean a Windows update, and not a sim update, I assume? If you look in your Windows Update history, you can see what it was that was installed, and search the forum to see if other people have had problems with that update.

The 0xc0000005 exception is specifically an Access Violation error, which means a process has attempted to access memory that it is not allowed to access. There are many, many things that could lead to this exception. Basically any unhandled error can progress to this. Which makes it super-hard to diagnose.

One thing that can cause this is bad memory. It’s unlikely, but if your RAM has developed a fault or is unreliable at the speed it’s running at, that could cause it to crash both sims. Memtest86 will allow you to test your RAM.

You may have an additional entry in the event log describing a managed code crash with a source of ‘.NET Runtime’. If it occurs directly after the FlightSimulator.exe crash, the detail in there would be useful. But most often a crash in FlightSimulator.exe is in the main code, which is unmanaged, and you won’t get useful detail.

Armoury Crate is a Windows utility that provides access to temp and performance data, and lets you do things like adjust your fan profiles etc. It also manages updates to Asus drivers (often before Windows does). It can definitely be a source of problems. You don’t strictly speaking need it, so it can be uninstalled if you want to try to see if it’s your culprit.

@Maki152 SFC just finished - no integrity violations. I restarted per your suggestion and no change - same error code (MSFS2020).

I assume you’re running both sims with the community folder emptied? If not, I’d say do that first and see if it makes a difference. It could be an add-on (though not likely given your symptoms).

Then I’d make sure all your device drivers are up to date. Ideally, go to the support site for each manufacturer and see if there are newer drivers available than Windows has installed. Windows Update only picks up those that Microsoft has identified and manufacturers often supply better and newer drivers.

Also check if there’s a BIOS update for your motherboard. Having that bang up to date is a good start for more advance diagnostics.

Given it’s affecting both sims and you haven’t installed any updates to the sims, it seems to me that it’s got to be a driver interaction issue. At what point in the sim startup does it crash?

Do you have "“official” and “community” folders in a different location than the default?

Yes, I use AddonsLinker but they’re OK. Now, I’ve lost my keyboard! Using on-screen keyboard. It feels a bit like MS-DOS!
I’m quitting for the night! MSFS2020 still crashes!

Good :slight_smile:

Open xbox app
On the left - right-click MSFS 2020 and select manage.
Click files tab and click verify and repair