The Great Big P-40 Thread

I realized I recognized the lighting while flying to the Salween River gorge, and so with a little help from photoshop…

3 Likes

Are these three releases still being updated or are they viewed as complete with no further work necessary?

To my understanding I believe the P-40B is supposed to be getting a texture revamp.

I don’t know about the other two but with MSFS 2024 coming I doubt they would be considered complete

2 Likes

The ini P-40 most certainly needs some work. When pitching down it does this weird porpoising and it kills the experience.

That has been there since day one. I brought it up to them on the help section of the site

1 Like

I’ve brought it up to them more than once and provided a video. Nothing. Frankly it’s influenced my decision to stay away from anything they’ve released since.

I provided in depth flight data based on the actual F variant vs what is portrayed and they said the model is completely accurate sooooooooooo

Just picked the Big Radials P40 up, and well I am a bit disappointed. Not sure what is going on, but in first person I have VERY little elevator authority, if I switch to follow the plane everything is normal. I am using the Velocity one yoke, anyone else with this issue? I pulled out an old flight stick, and the elevator works fine with that one too. This is the only plane I have this issue with.

Huh, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of the view affecting elevator authority before. Out of curiosity, are you hitting a button on your hardware to switch views, and is there any chance that button is also bound to something else? If not, hopefully someone else can chime in on what might be the case.

I solved the issue of probably about 20 minutes ago. I had based all of my key bindings off the default turtle Beach velocity profile. Something is really screwy in that one and it would not allow me to go full elevator in either direction. I remapped my entire controls to one of the default Msfs profiles and it’s all working perfectly now. I noticed something similar when I was flying the f86 sabre and figured it couldn’t have been a big radials thing if it’s happening to a different company’s airplane as well. So I started digging around.

Now I need to take the time to learn how to get this thing off the runway without trimming all the grass on either side. Lol

1 Like

What I do is put all trim to zero, as it says in the actual POH. I raise MAP to 30" and let her do her roll while holding back slightly on the stick. After a short rollout, relax the stick to neutral, BE PREPARED TO CORRECT YAW WITH SLIGHT RUDDER INPUTS (the nose will wobble). Slowly increase MAP to 45". At 150 kts firmly but gradually pull back on the stick until she unsticks from the runway. Add elevator trim. Suck up the gear. The Big Radials P-40 is the best of the lot, IMHO, but the lack of liveries, and the ability to make them, really lets this otherwise excellent model down. The real P-40 was NOT an easy plane to fly.

This is almost exactly what I do. You have to be on top of the rudder because she will REALLY try to get away from you! Such a fun plane. Landings should always be done on the mains. A 3-point landing is not advised. On the real plane, 3 point landings could result in a gear collapse due to the unusual way the gear retracts.

I am having a ton of fun with it now that I fixed my elevator issues lol.

1 Like

I also picked up the Big Radials P-40 recently. I love to pop out to external view and listen to that Allison. Better sounding than a Merlin to me.

1 Like

For the BR P-40B. On take off try 3-5 degrees of rudder trim. This should help the roll out.

I think the Reno P-51A has by far the best Allison sounds in the sim. Unfortunately, the usual methods of aliasing to it or swapping the files and recompiling the layout.json don’t seem to work due to it not having a sound.xml.

Except that the soundset for the Reno P-51A is actually Merlin engine recordings, and they’re the same as used for all of the Reno P-51Ds as well (though I do like them, especially the pops and crackles when moving the drone camera close to the exhaust when idling).

If that’s the case I wonder why it has it’s own Wwsie package with a different file size than the one in P51D_Reno_Common that all the others seem to use.