The Great Big P-40 Thread

Oh how I long for the A2A Accu-Sim P-40 for FSX/P3D to come to MSFS. The Big Radial version looks especially “off” on the ground IMO . Would be nice if Big Radials came back to this one for an update as I really like their Norseman and have heard great things about the Goose

Actually, I’m not sure how “off” it looks? I think part of the issue with that image is that it’s very wide angle, which gives it a very fish eye view. If the plane was more centered, and you zoomed the view in and moved the camera back, it might look a little more proportional.

The gear does seem a little tall. Iikely they’re not compressed enough under the weight of the plane.

That sheen on the skin doesn’t help.

I too would rejoice if A2A does a P-40 for MSFS, but I can’t agree about the “off” comment. Looks like all planes look from certain perspectives in MSFS. And actually, ALL P-40’s look a little strange to me in ANM. There just weren’t too many of them left that way.

All 3 are currently for sale in MSFS marketplace (Flight Replicas, Big Radials, Inibuilds). The Inibuilds is $10.00 USD. A bargain for such a beauty !

We need to do a P-40 fly-in

2 Likes

I’ll trhow in a 4th P-40, freeware on FS.2: an AVG P-40C.
Simulation wise it is not much, but it looks great I think, so I did a few more paints for it. If I compare it to the BR P-40B, internally it is no match, but externally I prefer this one.

avg77 (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

AVG75 (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

AVG48 (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

now an A2A P-40, that would be really nice…

3 Likes

Now to get one with a Pearl Harbor livery.

1 Like

Big Radials 284 livery is the Pearl Harbor livery. That’s the model flown at the time of Pearl Harbor.

2 Likes

Guess I skimmed it.

2 Likes

Great Pic!

Hamming it up for the camera…

2 Likes

BlockquoteIt is not entirely impossible, but it is grotesquely difficult (for me), since the textures for the fuselage and wings are cut up in many randonly distributed pieces

I found that just scouring all of Big Radial’s liveries for parts and pieces I wanted and just throwing them into the texture files got me the results I wanted … still took me 3 nights to finish it.

1 Like

My camo recolor was found to work really well in Guilian, China! I took the green from the Pearl Harbor livery and the green from the AVG livery (-10% red, I think) and combined them for this LOL, which was a total accident. My only goal was for it to look cool …

2 Likes

It does look cool- and bravo to you for the effort. Do you have a paintkit for the BR P-40 or ???
I admit I mostly do not follow what you did because I am not a skinner. What program did you use?

2 Likes

I don’t have a paintkit, and tbh, I haven’t successfully created any liveries … at best I have repainted existing liveries. I go into the program files and take all the texture files for a specific livery out, save them somewhere else so I don’t lose them, and open them in Photoshop. I use Illustrator to make new graphics, and then import them into Photoshop if I need to. I am a sign designer by trade, so I’ve never had to use Blender, though I just installed it so maybe I will dip into it!

After sufficiently changing the texture file, I export to .dds and override the files in the texture folders in the MSFS directory.

1 Like

Oh man, was it fun to try and find all of those flap supports in the wing files! I also did the wheel wells and added a texture for the internal wing spars that show with the gear extended. Man, I am starting to get the hang of these Big Radials texture files!

2 Likes

Good looking work, I may have to delve into this myself. I have been salivating for an authentic AVG 75 since this bird was released.

I use photoshop with an NVidia dds plugin. Open the files, do what I need to. I usually work in layers and save a psd elsewhere on my system, then export to dds. Since I haven’t figured out creating a new livery for msfs yet, I just overwrite whichever existing livery I want lol.

1 Like