The Great Big P-40 Thread

I have been testing those and reporting back to the devs of each. The B will be getting an update and visualization is on the list. I found that the F is the slowest of all of them. But it looks great sounds great but flying ya like you said very odd. I’m sure they will have an update coming. The N has stock sound from the P-51 I believe and the sound doesn’t change if you open the cockpit it just stays muted.

I have added a group flight plan on discord if anyone wants to post

P-40 flight tomorrow around Hawaii! OOO or New Zealand! Anyone interested?
All variants welcome :hugs:

Do you know at what time you want to do the flight? I’m sadly not home for most of the day.

I’m up couldn’t sleep gonna fly

Someone posted this on another thread, but I can’t remember where.

Great doco: Video from the Past [13] - No. 75 Squadron's Defence of Port Moresby - YouTube

75 Sq had P-40E’s (same as the model in Il2 Great Battles).
Some photo’s here too:

2 Likes

I’m working on a 75 sqn paint:
hep cat (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

4 Likes

The last few days I had an explosion of P-40 paints erupt from my paint shed. Did you notice we have a 4th P-40? A P-40C freeware from FSadni, available on fs.2. A simple model, but the outside looks real good I think, so I have been busy doing AVG paints for it:
AVG3 (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

avg21 (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

AVG38 (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

AVG48 (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1464) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

AVG75 (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

avg77 (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

AVG94 (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Doesn’t look too bad, don’t you agree? Flight model, cockpit, slightly different story…

6 Likes

Then I did two paints for the Inibuilds P-40F:

X21 005 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

af sp (0007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and two for the FR P-40N:
grade a (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Streamline (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

I’m ignoring the BR P-40B as the texture layout is not that pleasant…

4 Likes

It’s a Hawkapalooza!

Love ‘em! Thanks JK.

2 Likes

Jan, is it truly impossible to do a paint like this for the BR P-40B? Can you briefly explain to a non-skinner why?
Love your skins-

It is not entirely impossible, but it is grotesquely difficult (for me), since the textures for the fuselage and wings are cut up in many randonly distributed pieces. So lining up diffrwnt parts across the fuselage requires the patience of an angel, and the persistance of a …don’t know really, not me anyway.
Someone who is very good with Blender might be able to do it, but not me.

Is Blender an expensive or difficult to use application?

Blender is free. There is a learning curve if you have never used a computer graphics tool before. Lots of youtube videos on it.

Thank you. Is Blender all I will need to create liveries? Also, where can I get the paint kit for the BR P-40B?

Didn’t see it on the website, probably just best to ask them directly.

1 Like

How exactly is this “cartoon-like”?

1 Like

Kinda like this one?

I’ve got better pictures somewhere, but I can’t find them…
And, yes, it still flies…

1 Like

Love that bird. Love the P-40, period.

1 Like

If you are referring to my comment, I standby everything I said about the Big Radials aircraft. I don’t think it looks as photo realistic as some of the better looking aircraft in the sim. I think it’s particularly noticeable in the cockpit. It is the best of the P-40s available I just wish it was a good as some of the better offerings in the im for warbirds, in particular Blckbird/Milviz Corsair or any Flying Iron product which I don’t think it is.

2 Likes