The horizon line is "too deep in the code", now is the time to fix it

Hi, having watched through the many Q&As the answer about the immersion breaking horizon line bug was that it was “too deep in the code”. Now is the perfect time to fix this issue, no code is ever too deep unless it requires rewriting large sections and now the time is there to spend time to go deep into the code and fix it.

It was one of the very first bugs I encountered and unfortunately it is prominent in many situations, for a flight game that utilizes high detail of the planet it is disappointing to continually see this issue.

I hope that other major bugs (I class this as major) are also not transferable to MSFS2024, now is the time to fix them for release.

Thank you.

32 Likes

I’ve never seen the horizon line bug once since I’ve had the sim for over 2 years now.

10 Likes

I have seen it several times. Fortunately, it is not always visible, but depends on time of day, lighting, mountains in the background etc. I guarantee you, if you have seen it once, you will recognize it.

I find it high time, to ged rid of it, too. This has been pointed to from day 1 of the simulator (and before). I can not imagine that clever coders will not be able to get rid of it, where ever it is hidden in the code

6 Likes

You are assuming it’s in the code and not deeper.

It very well could be an artifact of the way the view frustum is calculated when applied to the heightmap generated geometry.

Or it could be an artifact of the way the heightmap is converted into geometry in the first place.

It may not be code, but systemic and require a lot more work to root out - like a complete overhaul of how the “scene” is calculated.

5 Likes

I thought of this too but I fear that they won’t be able to fix it since they have stated before it is a bug in the rendering engine they use and it seems that 2024 will be the same engine as 2020.

I think this is the kind of issue that will cause them pushback over 2024 being released as a new product that existing users will have to buy - since it will clearly show that under the hood it is actually the same sim but with some extra features.

Of course it is possible that this isn’t the case and these long standing bugs will actually be fixed in the new one and I would love for that to be the case.

1 Like

If it continues into 2024 that just shows lack of proper time and effort, because nothing is beyond fixing, however they may see it as too expensive monetary and or time wise.

It’s definitely a weird one. Of course none of us know how the scene is really calculated and rendered, but all the logic I can muster would say that mountains are a solid object when drawn, which are then drawn ON TOP of the horizon from our viewpoint, regardless of the lighting / weather / mist that makes that line visible.

So feels like it’s a shader thing or a layering priority thing.

Which should be easy to solve. The fact that it hasn’t been solved kind of proves me wrong though. Like a lot of things in MSFS it’s a mysterious beast with some interesting quirks of behaviour in every area.

It’s similar to the issue where trees are sometimes layered wrong around buildings and you can see part of them through or kind of weirdly inside the building as you move / look around (maybe just photogrammetry “buildings”).

So, yep, definitely a weird one!

2 Likes

The line is also in the 2024 trailer.
Few chances they will fix it

2 Likes

I mean in the right circumstances the line is in previous sims as well.

My guess is that those who have never noticed it either spend most of their time above 10,000 feet (airliners), or rarely fly in mountains. People who love GA, helos, and warbirds encounter it pretty much every single flight. The lower you are, or the hazier the the weather, or the lower the sun… the stronger the bug is.

On the rare occasion I have time to fly for fun I’m usually low enough to get grass stains on the belly, and fly mostly at sunset, so for me it’s always present. I’ve learned to ignore it as well as I can, mostly, but it’s always there.

Really really hope this can finally be fixed for 2024.

5 Likes

This is probably actually not the case.

When you have a camera that can move vertically quite a bit (or a scene that can sink quite a bit) you’ll sometimes need to alter LODs at different heights.

In the case of a 10k foot mountain the LOD at the base and the LOD at the peak will be drastically different if you are on the ground than if you are near the peak.

As a result, the mountains are constructed, or more likely tesselated, differently at different altitudes. More than likely, the horizon line exists as a result of LOD miscalculations in that zone. I’ll note that I have never seen the horizon line in my flying and I do a lot of flying at the altitudes that is supposed to trigger it. So it’s likely that my graphics settings make it not happen.

Sure it is. If you don’t have a good recreate case and can’t figure out the cause, then its beyond fixing.

I have a bug at work right now that we know is happening. It affects approximately 2% of our users. Everytime someone comes to me with the bug happening I get positively giddy because I have a chance to gather more information.

This bug has been in place for 7 years, and we have very little information about what causes it. We know it’s affecting users. We want to fix it. It’s considered a P1 bug because of the impact on affected users. But we can’t seem to isolate it.

Sometimes, a bug is just there until it isn’t. Othertimes it’s the wierdest interaction of things you never would have anticipated (such as the bug I solved a couple of years ago that required coordinating investigation by 3 teams across 8 code bases to isolate and resolve). That’s just the nature of the beast.

I have almost 200 hours in this sim below 10k feet and have yet to encounter this bug. I’ve seen videos of it, I know it exists, but for some reason, on my system with my graphics settings, it just hasn’t happened. And that’s including flying multiple times through mountain passes in the Rockies.

It’s definitely a weird one.

3 Likes

I’ve seen the bug quite a lot in the beginning when we were all flying together low to the ground in the mountains. Then the big airliners came along so the bug was less annoying but I find myself flying more GA nowadays. You get to see it more then.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is powered by the significantly evolved Asobo Studio engine

According to the announcement.
I think we will hear more about what the changes are (in the engine) in the coming months. But it looks like the horizon line bug wasn’t on the list to fix.

X-Plane has its own horrible version of that, which for me appeared in the Vulkan Beta.

There was both a horizontal plus vertical line component. It could be disabled by lowering the rendering quality by one notch.

I’m told it’s still there in XP12

Do other Asobo games have that issue? If not then problem is not the engine but the world scenery reaction to water/haze. Mountains are basically transparent while they can still cast shadows. Planes are not affected by it so in planes it’s already fixed because they also react to light and cast shadows while not being transparent to water and haze.

Cheers

Balkans bush trip, Leg 1. Go to Drone camera, rotate left and go up a little. Still not seeing it?

It’s most visible when the real horizon is below any terrain that is not flat, whilst looking into the sun.

This line was already apparent (and reported) in FS2020 tech alpha.

It would be really nice to have the engine looked at for this next release to rid us of this bug, and a few other SU5 XBox hangovers that never got resolved (like the right mouse button blocking controls for example).

I’ll be greatly surprised if they do attend to it, however.

If and it’s a pretty big if, there is a new ground up graphics engine by the time we get 2024 I expect this anomaly to be gone. If it’s just a revamp then I might still expect an improvement. However until then we will still have it both in sim and in promos because at this very moment in time that is all Asobo can give us.

There is still plenty of time so just ignore it for now

Hi, it is not something that can be ignored, especially in virtual reality. When you fly at certain times it looks very bad, very very bad.

Thank you

1 Like

It pretty obvious to me that they’re not planning to change/fix this in the near future. They probably have very good reasons for it as well.

They have a lot of other things “Planned” that are much more interesting to me. This very vague horizon line has never really bugged me.

If you don’t ignore it you will continue to be frustrated until the date that it’s fixed but being frustrated won’t bring that date any nearer (so I know what I would do).

1 Like