The immersion feeling is missing... Any hope to improve?

Yes, for more than 17000hrs.

1 Like

Clouds used to be amazing before the downgrade.

Thatā€™s not entirely accurate. These days, the consequences of flying through clouds are that my GPU usage shoots up to 100% and I start risking a CTD if I stay in them too long.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s not that different than a car on a tarmac road. Your eyes (luckily) are capable to stabilize these kind of motions.

When flying in VR, I do get a pretty immersive sensation compared to the real thing. Also on rudder input and throttle response on take-off/landing with or without X-wind. Are you sure you have disabled all assistance effect?

2 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, default WX in X-plane is silly. Active Sky made all the difference in the world on that end, especially with winds and turbulence. In MSFS, theyā€™re not going to open the WX engine, so weā€™re stuck with what we have unfortunately.

2 Likes

I never liked the clouds in MSFS. They certainly look BETTER than X-plane or P3D, but that doesnā€™t mean they look great. Flying through that wall of haze around thunderstorms that kills frames is one of my biggest annoyances. Seeing repetitive clouds is another. If they can give us what we have now, they can give us better models without sacrificing quality. My guess is theyā€™re tied in with a developer who injects that stuff into the sim, and that is holding progress back.

2 Likes

Also, there is one more issue which have been discussed many times. Night lighting.
Overall looks acceptable, but from FL looks terribleā€¦ Especially small towns. Just like lit from above with a flash lightā€¦

1 Like

When flying over mauntains the turbulence worksvery nice. At least same effect should be present in the heavy clouds, I thinkā€¦

You mentioned X-Plane, but I find the default C172 in X-Plane just as stupidly easy to fly as it is in MSFS. In fact the Zibo mod I flew that thing in ways that surely would have resulted in a crash and yet no problems landingā€¦ If you ask me, none of them can be that accurate or else I could be a pilot with no training what so ever.

1 Like

I 100% agree with this, these are my main 3 complaints atm, nothing serious, but it reduces immersion.
The 3rd one though is open to debate, since the option to introduce such vibration is available for addon developers, and in fact FBW A320 has introduced a bit of it.
I hope Asobo works on the first 2 points in the future.

Something I discovered just really in the last few days is how much more immersive the sim is by adding real world ATC chatter. People often over look how much more immersive good audio brings to a game when they get so fixed by the visuals. Generally the audio is good in the sim but a massive missing component is all the radio chatter you get in a real plane.

Thereā€™s various ways to bring ATC chatter into the sim. The simplest (and free) way is by going on Youtube and just finding real world ATC audio (thereā€™s lots of clips) and simply playing it in the background. If you like the effect and think it adds something to your experience you can then pay for proper stand alone flight sim ATC chatter such as FS-ATC FS-ATC-Chatter Overview ā€“ Stick and Rudder Studios

Its cheap and I totally recommend it. Iā€™ve only just got it so Iā€™m still getting to grips with it but Iā€™m really glad I discovered it.

3 Likes

I tend to have the LiveATC app on my phone playing the ATC from the area Iā€™m currently in. It really does add to the immersion and makes the sky feel less empty.

1 Like

pretty nice points to make, totally agree. when i do the same, they flag my posts tho. you lucky !

the point here must be how such relatively arbitrary bugs could be brought into sim, itā€™s as if there is absolutely no quality control, let alone the recently implemented so called beta testing proceduresā€¦

2 Likes

I have similar hardware (6dof) have you noticed the exagerated effect of the parking brake throwing the sim forward?

Yeah I was just looking at LiveATC. Great idea just playing it through your phone. Its a real shame thereā€™s no UK coverage with it though.

you can simply read it in the background with your pc :slight_smile: I do it often itā€™s actually very immersive, itā€™s amazing, we have big airports here in France, with live atc, maybe a uk restriction.

1 Like

Yeah its a UK restriction apparently. Its a pity.

itā€™s a pityā€¦ when I play with xplane, to have liveATC to hear the controllers speak to the French pilots in French and English to the others, to hear the weather, the winds, the runways, and to see in asxp the same weather announced by the controller and to see also the airplanes in the game with the pluggin livetraffic with which, the atc speaks, itā€™s hyper immersif
Unfortunately this is not yet feasible in MFS, I hope it will come one day.

2 Likes

That sounds amazing. Hopefully one day theyā€™ll being this to FS2020. All the elements and tech are there after all. They just need to implement it.

Iā€™d love to see them do it.

1 Like

Yeah, a complete slap in the face. They said before launch that it was a flight simulation ā€œFirst and foremostā€ (their exact words) And then they go and do things like turning down the turbulence to literal Arcade-Mode. Fly into the wrong storm with the wrong plane IRL and you are dead, plane over-stressed and broken apart. This is simply not possible in the sim.

1 Like