The marketplace no longer feels safe if using Steam. Failed transactions take my money and Steam refuses to offer refund

If you’re using Steam, do not purchase DLC from the in-game marketplace unless you want to risk your money being stolen due to a failed transaction.

This has now happened to me twice, where I add funds to my wallet using the Steam overlay and then the transaction fails once it minimizes back to the game, causing my funds to be removed but the content to not be purchased.

Contacting the MSFS team does nothing since they tell you to reach out to Steam. When I submit a steam ticket asking for a refund and explaining the issue, they send me an email saying:

“We cannot grant a refund at this time. In-game item purchases are not refundable if any items in the purchase have been consumed, modified, or transferred.”

$25 taken just like that. From now on I’m only purchasing DLC through the developers website. I was planning on purchasing the big official DLC this month but now I’m worried the same thing will happen.

10 Likes

@psybermonkey15, That sounds incredibly frustrating.

I imagine you will have a confirmation email from steam of the purchase and funds being taken from your account.

I would suggest that you send a private message here on the forums to @Jummivana, the Community Manager, as I am pretty sure she will be able to assist with this.

1 Like

To be fair to the MSFS team, they have a suitable page for reporting this problem, but they will just tell you to contact Steam. Here’s the email I received from MSFS:

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Flight Simulator Support today.

We do not have access to Steam’s account and billing system to refund erroneous or duplicates purchases ourselves but Steam Support can do it on our behalf.

To do so, please take a screenshot or forward this email to Steam Support to request a refund. [there’s no way to attach a screenshot to a Steam ticket btw]

Note to Steam Support team: We have verified that [my name] was erroneously charged twice for this purchase (NZA Simulations, value $26.49 ↔ 100 FlightSim Credits at the time of purchase) - please refund the duplicate purchase [purchase number]. We confirm that *****'s account will remain in good standing if Steam refunds the duplicate charge.

And then after submitting a refund ticket Steam just goes “tough luck.” With no way of me replying to fight their decision.

4 Likes

This happens to Me all the time ,what You have to do is go back to your transaction and click purchase again and hit cancel and in a few minutes your download will start.

3 Likes

I have problems when I buy on the simulator’s Marketplace. Every time I need to contact the forum for them to release the Download. This has already happened twice and no one knows why this happens.

you say go to Marketplace and buy again? Can you explain better?

Hi if you click on the purchase that you made before and on Buy and Download and don’t complete the purchase by clicking on cancel and wait,the download should begin. work for me every time. This fix was posted by someone else.

3 Likes

Although I don’t use the Marketplace personally, I find it easy to understand why people like it. Their reasons seem reasonable (sorry). This thread and many others list out the pros and cons. People then score these based on the own factor weighting. Those weights are very personal. This theory does not include people that are just completely nuts anyway.:slight_smile: None of those are in present company, of course.

Yes, Steam provides a proof of purchase receipt for purchase of “in game credits”

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 does not.
No proof of purchase receipt.
No transaction record at all.

Seems a bit of a shady way to deal no?

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that you had problems about transaction. I know how frustrating it is because I had similar problem. But I contacted MSFS tech team and they asked me about steam transaction bill confirmation. When I send it I had my paid airport added to my Marketplace account. That’s happened about two months ago so I don’t know there is some policy change?

Do not purchase from the built in marketplace anyway, until they take responsibility and refund people who have bought broken products.

2 Likes

I only pay by credit card for all my transactions on-line and elsewhere, if there is a dispute I get a refund from the credit card company if the credit card company cannot resolve the dispute. I would never buy game credits, that’s my rule.

Charles.

The only way to resolve this is with Zendesk, they will ask for the confirmation number from Steam and then manually add the product to your account. It’s happened to me once but for some reason there seems to be an uptick in cases. Whatever the solution is the mess of the whole system is neither useable nor acceptable. If the marketplace is in the game then all transactions and receipts (that identify the product you bought) should be in the game. But who am I talking to here? The company that releases a flight simulator that doesn’t have a working map for navigating yourself around the world. Might as well yell into the void for all the good writing about it here is going to do.

1 Like

Is this bug still not fixed? Must be a nice extra bit of income for MS. How many will actually go through the hassle of trying to get a refund.

1 Like

It’s a marketplace so why would you expect it to be any different to e.g. Simmarket? Refunds need to come from the devs of your product.

How long it will take for Asobo to fix this? I haven’t been charged twice yet, i just do the known trick to force the download but still that’s inconvenient and it’s strange that Asobo doesn’t care fixing dlc purchases. That’s probably the first time i see a company basically telling people “our system doesn’t work, buy everything somewhere else”.

Can confirm, always have the Purchase failed whenever I buy anything. Last time I needed to contact MS, since the transaction got “stuck” and all buttons greyed out in market place.

They manually processed the order helpfully. This took 2 days, however.

• Is it the same when you have in-game credits on your account?
  • Where can I see the amount of ingame credits?

I like the idea of the market place since I do not need to track addons over many different websites. But the experience is horrible right now.

I’ve purchased two Carenado and two Osobo planes through my Steam account and every time I have “Purchase Failed”. I send MS a screenshot of my Steam purchase and they manually add my planes for download which can take a couple of days. I’ve decided to hold off buying any more from Marketplace until this problem is fixed.

Can somebody please clarify to me why you would even consider using a 3rd party top buy and use something that you can easily…In fact, much easier than going through the 3rd party purchase it hassle and issue free from the actual creator.
Want to get more joy out of gaming…Kill Steam. Stop using them and they’ll go away and we won’t have to deal with Steam complaints inundating all of the forums everywhere. It just make me snicker every time I read one of these threads…Reminds me of the P.T. Barnum quote: “There’s a sucker born every minute”. Steam’s power in gaming is absolute proof of that.

I use PayPal with Steam and have never had any problems buying from the Marketplace.