The mighty Vulcan is out for MSFS from Just flight

Avro Vulcan near disaster at Wellington New Zealand Airport in 1959. (1) Avro Vulcan Near Disaster at Wellington Airshow - YouTube

2 Likes

Incredible aircraft, I had the pleasure of seeing it at air shows a few times, the noise is frightening, the ground pretty much shakes. Guy Martin did a great documentary on it, I think for the Beeb, ‘The Vulcan Bomber - Guy Martin.’
It’ll fly straight into my hanger.

1 Like

I saw TWO Vulcans scramble at the RAF Finningley airshow circa 1978 - both took off at the same time and went vertical immediately - they hung in the air on full afterburners for at least 30 seconds at about 300ft over the runway and it WAS an earthquake with the whole crowd falling over, women and children screaming, before they slowly began to climb and level out at around 1500ft. Unforgettable. I climbed into the cockpit of the Bournemouth Air Museum exhibit last year and got instant claustrophobia - at 6ft tall I’m about 3ft too tall for that cockpit and I’m NOT kidding.

Avro Vulcans didn’t have afterburners.

6 Likes

Well worth a watch :+1:

3 Likes

This has been on my wish list!
Can’t wait…

After the Vulcan damaged its undercarriage at Wellington it flew on leaking fuel to the RNZAF airbase at Ohakea and crash-landed. It was fixed there and returned to the UK.
Vulcan

We’ll be visiting a real Vulcan again soon to record more cockpit, systems and engine sounds, so it’ll sound as good or even better than the Hawk T1!

Martyn - Just Flight

11 Likes

We’ve covered that elsewhere in recent weeks and months but it was delayed due to some personal circumstances of the lead artist on the project. That issue is now resolved so we’ll be sharing progress in the coming weeks.

Martyn - Just Flight

2 Likes

You’ll have both the Blue Steel and WE177 nuclear options, but fortunately no ability to trigger Armageddon with them.

Martyn - Just Flight

3 Likes

Actually, they have communicated on that recently. A couple of weeks ago I think (time flies so fast), they said they gave up on the person doing the work that needed to be done and are doing it themselves I think, or have found somebody else.

2 Likes

Will there be an option for the INS system that was used to get to the Falklands?

Haha, thank you Martyn!

1 Like

As I remember it, this was a strapdown Delco Carousel system for which spares were gathering dust in one of the RAF or possibly BA warehouses and was a pretty bespoke lashup for the Falklands operations. For me, I would still go with a GTN750 and leave Carousel to the masochists.

2 Likes

I think they cannibalized VC 10s for the Carousel systems, if I remember correctly.

:drooling_face: Imagining a native MSFS VC10…

2 Likes

The ones that were parked up at RAF Abingdon, prior to conversion into tankers.

Yes, some have been converted to tankers and some, mostly ex BA Super VC 10s, were put into storage (to serve for engine spare parts for the aging Victor fleet) and had their twin Carousel INS systems removed.

If it sounds anything like the real life Vulcan I’m going to need to seriously upgrade my speaker system. Perhaps a couple of 18 inch subwoofers to start :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Which of the Bristol Olympus engines will we see? I think the Falkland Vulcan had the powerful 301 type.