The opinions of the flight sim community - A summary

This Post cant be empty

I think if MS actually starts putting out substantial fixes people will generally be satisfied. There are some glaring problems, all of them are on their todo list and probably were on release day. I would bet a steak dinner that MS came to Asobo and said it needs to launch now because HP Reverb G2 and the Nvidia 3090 card are coming and this is the killer app for those. I’m quite sure that’s why they packed it up and sent it out the door. Flight systems, bridges water/land interface, are these more serious foundational issues?

But its not even an educated guess. The AI places buildings with chimney stacks in locations where the Bing data quite clearly shows that no such fixture exists on the roof of any of the real world structures. This suggests that the claims made by BlackShark that the AI works out what the buildings windows doors etc should look like is an exaggeration at best when it cannot even work out if a chimney should exist or not with a clear view of the roofline to go by.

Its not what I would expect from a state of the art system they boasted could analyse the whole planet in 72 hours.

2 Likes

100% agree. There is work to be done, but a solid base game, even if it’s an extended open beta

1 Like

Imagine XP12 is going to use Google Maps

Appreciate these 20 comments and seems like a good generalization of my experience.

I just bought two previous Microsoft simulators being Century of Flight and FSX and really enjoyed both and was impressed by the graphics while flying.

Perhaps some issues like specific landmarks/ buildings may be improved by the various people who do free add-ons in the community that made the previous two versions great.
Kind of the great thing of Microsoft that the community can make the simulator better. Just because the out of the box scenery from where I live had some forgotten landmarks around Toronto like the CN Tower and the SkyDome/Rogers Centre which makes Toronto, well basically Toronto as forgetting the Statue of Liberty in Manhattan.

Other than these minor stuff the scenery and mechanics of flying is quite a beautiful difference from FSX making flying quite relaxing.

Being not a real flyer but comparing the two cubs being the one made in the Czech Republic and the one with the glass instruments, is the cub from the Czech republic really that more powerful as I was surprised at the power?

1 Like

That will probably never happen. Laminar think they can use a different system to generate dynamic scenery that changes with the seasons and has none of the drawbacks that Ortho has. Austin’s vision on where scenery should go in XP was clearly expressed in a recent interview.

1 Like

I largely agree with all of your points and think they are well presented. Great job on a succinct write-up! :clap:

I have no strong opinions on the photogrammetry topic and find most places are decent with auto-gen, but some key building types are missing in auto-gen (e.g. generic churches) which would go a long way to improving all areas of the world based on available map data.

2 Likes

Excellent thread :clap:

1 Like

Agree with most of these points, I think some of this list is a bit too naggy, to be honest, for a week 1 release.

Yes, we all know Asobo launched it too early
 but it’s already launched, so I wish we’d get past this point. There is literally nothing anyone can do on this point, so why even bother with it?

I think if Asobo and Microsoft would just update us, more than a simple blog post every Thursday, half of these forum complaints would cease.

The not knowing is what is killing people and causing a lot of unsubstantiated rumors.

4 Likes

I’ve had MS X, Aerofly FS2, Prepar3D v4 and recently X-Plane 11. And by far this simulator is the best right out of the box. No scenery to add, no .ini files to configure, no issues with addons, cities look extremely realistic, no time spent on creating flight plans, and the skies look extremely realistic. Everything isn’t perfect but know I’m really enjoying my flying without the stress.

6 Likes

No manual is definitely a community perception and helis are asked for alot too but certainly are more on the nice to have list. I don’t get though why we didn’t get the manual in PDF when there is one in the physical box.

Also, Asobo – perfect example of live weather not working
 I just departed Cancun where a hurricane is literally 20 miles off coast and

1 Like

This is only true for the smaller aircrafts but the commercial airliners are pretty basic - but then, there are also less simulated than the smaller ones, hoping for an updated A320 soon :wink:

Wow. I was mentally preparing to write a dissent but I must wholeheartedly agree. Well done!

(One tiny thing: #19 is missing a “where” behind “every”.)

Asobo you have to get live weather, especially winds, fixed
 this was a huge selling point.

4 Likes

Well done. Some things I don’t care about on that list and are not important to me but you did a good job summarizing everyone’s opinions.

1 Like

This does NOT bode well for the Marketplace. What is going on, Asobo/Microsoft???

“Until at least September 1?” That’s insane.

Southampton.

Overall, that’s a really astute and accurate summary. Good for you.

I’ve actually found ‘real weather’ to be pretty good and dynamic - ‘flying’ in Europe and south/Central America. Lots of debate 
 so obviously not sorted out yet.