The physic in the landing

I cannot make my mind up as to the reasons for the … naïve implementation of the flight modelling and dynamics that affects all the aircraft I have thus far tried.

Is it a lack of expertise and or knowledge on the part of the coders?
Or perhaps it is the perceived need to dumb down on the 'difficulty ’ factor to better accommodate
and thus encourage ‘newbies’ to take up simming?

If it’s the former, I very much hope that as we move through the development cycle, a more
sophisticated code implementation will result in an ever greater fidelity in aircraft behaviour.
And if the latter, well I suppose those of us who crave fidelity with real life will all have to look elsewhere.

2 Likes

It’s just MS/Asobo iterating on the flight model, based on community and (increasingly) third party developer feedback.

The only thing I’ve heard mentioned that was intentional ‘dumbing down’ of the flight model is them decreasing the effect of massive turbulence / up- and downdrafts. They felt they would get a lot of bug reports when someone would find their A320 suddenly dropping a couple thousand feet while flying through a storm front.

I still feel this should be an option for us to tick (turbulence: realistic / toned down).

About the flight model; I really think their intentions are good, and it will just take more time. Seeing they’re starting to work closer with third party developers (and the new platform they’re setting up to streamline communications), I feel we’ll get there eventually (and we have to, giving their reluctance of opening up the flight model completely to third parties).

3 Likes

I am encouraged by and agree with your post.
And yes, all we need is a settings option [though I would prefer a sliding scale] that allows the user
a choice as to the complexity/realism or otherwise of aircraft behaviour.

I guess time alone will tell if our optimism is justified.
Regards.

1 Like

Your pic inspired me to see if I could find any web pictures of the aircraft I used to fly. Only found one. Regretted the exercise…

3 Likes

She looks like she had a great life, but a terrible retirement.

1 Like

Looking at the nose it looks like “the physics of landing” tail draggers was well demonstrated.

NB:
It wasn’t me.

1 Like

I love those days and aircraft. My wish for MSFS is if somebody would develop a DC-6, DC-7 or Constellation.

1 Like

Funny. PMDG said they have everything they need to push their study level aircraft and have even said it might come out sooner than expected because of the SDK improvement in MSFS. Soubds more like an excuse for needing to learn the SDK rather than MSFS limitations.

3 Likes

Very impressive that the zinc chromate at the wing root is still lookin’ good after all those years… :slight_smile:

1 Like

When airplane engines sounded right.

3 Likes

I can get a sound very similar to that through my Marshall stack when it has one or
more damaged cones!
Nice!

:wink:

3 Likes

But does it go to eleven ?

A couple of random off-topic “starting a radial” videos …

1 Like

Yup.
As any pilot report about a Spitfire says more or less pronounced:

"Ease the power in sloooowly. It is not visible to the spectators, but that big propeller will give some remarkable asymmetric forces on the take off roll and, with a max power take-off, you will need full right deflection of both aileron and rudder to keep it straight. "

But what do these real-life Spitfire pilots know about flight dynamics…

3 Likes

If you did that in MSFS what the real pilot did in this video, you would crash immediately, the full aileron right has almost no effectiveness in RL at take off speed while in the sim it will turn the plane really hard resulting in a wing strike.

What turns the plane in MSFS is crosswind not P-factor (I do not have to use any ailerons at take off without crosswind component), and this together with super high effectiveness of ailerons at take-off speed results in terrible and unrealistic take off dynamics.

you understand that they talk about taildraggers with a castoring tailwheel? And the engine boost of the Spitfire? I dont think PMDG will need this… And it is a fact that it doesnt exist in the SDK.
BUT, if you would have read correctyl, they worked around that and found solutions.
So why do you then say they are lazy?

Not even turboprops, which are some in the base game already, have a correct engine-code.
But again, PMDG does not do Turboprops.

You should learn to read better than comparing apples and pears.
Your comments is just absolutely nonsense due to the fact that you didnt even read, or understand what the text said. Quite the opposite of what you are implying…

1 Like

Doing it all the time exactly like in the video, otherwise my Spit would always drop the left wing.
Please make sure to disdable all helpers.

Watch close, As airspeed increases aileron input decreases. Control inputs on take-off or landing (always, really, but more noticeable at low speed) are not absolutes. The purpose of the aileron input is to maintain a balance. The whole point is to keep the aircraft ‘wings level’ and longitudinally aligned with the centre line. The amount of input is unimportant as long as the forces are being managed correctly. I would NEVER tell a student that they must apply full aileron and rudder when applying throttle. Explain why the inputs is required and what it does. Then fly the plane. That is what makes a pilot a pilot. Precision control using the tools available.

2 Likes

Do you apply left aileron even in a crosswind from the left? I am talking only about the crosswind behavior because I do not have to use any aileron at all to keep it level in calm wind conditions (no simulator assist of course), just the rudder to keep is centerline. I have to test it more.

It is nothing like A2A or DCS Spitfires. I do not blame the developer but rather MSFS that has exaggerated crosswind physics.

Right aileron, always.
Just like in the video: Initially full deflection, and then reduce to neutral as airspeed rises.

If crosswind from the left, I initially apply power extremely carefully (at maximum 0 boost) until I feel that Ihave positive rudder control. Rudder trim setting maximum right deflection.

If crosswind from the right, I can initially apply more power (usually I seldom use more than +4 boost) and prepare for a combination of right-left swings due to interaction of crossind and p-factor.
Rudder trim depending on windspeed between 1.5° and 3° right.

Best is wind from the front, of course.
Takeoff with a tailwind usually leads to cartwheel. :slight_smile:

I haven’t flown the real Spit, but from what I’ve read The FlyingIron behaves more or less like the real one - at least the real-life procedures, power and trim settings work in the sim.

The old axiom for elevator and aileron on takeoff is “climb into a headwind, dive away from a tailwind” ,

1 Like