The plane flies straight despite being heavily tilted to the right

In this screenshot, my plane is flying straight. It’s not turning right, it’s flying straight ahead, as if it was horizontal despite the fact it’s almost 20° tilted to the right. And no, there is no wind.

The AP is activated in NAV mode, and the plane, instead of joining the path, is flying away from it.
This happens right after today’s update. Just for the record, my community folder is empty.

I’m done.

edit: the solution to the problem is in one of my posts below. The issue was that Asobo changed the rudder controls (without saying it in the release notes…) and now by default they don’t recenter automatically. So it’s not a bug it’s a feature !

What do you mean “done”
You’re in a sim not an oven!
Go on, reboot your machine and fire up the sim again.

1 Like

Looks like a lot of left rudder input is being put in. I’d check control bindings and calibration for rudder axis and rudder trim. Also confirm the flight model didn’t get changed from modern to legacy.

1 Like

Yeah looks like you have manual inputs that slightly overrides the AP but not strong enough to disengage it.

1 Like

Exactly this problem has been reported numerous times already with the previuos patch.

That definitely not a new problem.

Some reported that is was due to the wrong, Legacy flight model being selected.

3 Likes

You’re deflecting full left rudder. That would cause the plane to fly straight forward. You might’ve bumped the rudder trim or rudder button.

1 Like

Just tested, from a Co-ordinated state with neutral trim you can up to about 40% rudder input before the AP disconnects. That only seems to take it you about 7 degrees of bank to balance out though, interestingly if you hold the input long enough, when you go to neutral controls the “ball” doesn’t centre. At this point you can go full opposite rudder without disconnecting the AP and stabilize at up to 30 degrees of bank.

During all this the rudder trim indicator in the MFD doesn’t budge, so while definitely something else weird going on behind the scenes here, it all starts with manual rudder inputs.

I didn’t change the flight model, but I’ll check again if it has changed after the update.

How do you see that left rudder is engaged ? What is the button/keyboard shortcut for rudder trim ?

There might be a rudder problem indeed. In the following thread, someone is having the same problem:

Anyone has serious rudder problem after recent update? - Aircraft Handling - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

It might be linked to this problem
Rudder doesn’t recenter by itself - Bugs & Issues / Aircraft Handling - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I’m playing with a gamepad.

The plane not following the fp isn’t a new bug it happens a lot but things got better for me after the latest update.

Disagree with the title, just a minor most likely a temporary screwed up coding issue !

You can tell it’s engaged because of the skid / slip indicator (the white triangle and bar at the top of the attitude indicator are misaligned). There is probably a keyboard shortcut that caused it to stick.

2 Likes

Looks like they have changed the rudder controls.
Rudder controls are now unacceptable - Bugs & Issues / Aircraft Handling - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I think the solution to the problem is here:

JayLoC06

2h

I think you are using the new (without telling you they changed it) rudder controls.
The new controls don’t re-center the rudder after you touch it. Follow this and let me know if it fixes it.

Search for rudder by name under the gamepad.
See rudder left (yaw left) and rudder right (yaw right)?
Click on each one and clear current input and validate.
Click on rudder axis left or right and make the input left trigger for left and then right trigger for right and validate after each one.

Asobo needs to add it to the release notes and the Q&A in the stickied post above.

@lolilol1975

A good title helps other users find your topic and encourages them to join in the conversation. Topic titles must be concise and clearly outline the purpose of your discussion.

Please alter your topic title. You can do this by clicking the pencil icon next to the topic title.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.