THE rudder

I’m searching for the question you speak off, you mean this?

The OP automatically concludes that the sim is in error, and the question asked to the devs is to correct this “mistake”. In this case it is irrelevant which principles are correctly simulated and which are not.

Apart from some faulty implementations and missing flight dynamics this is by far the most immersive simulator out there. No its not 100% realistic, spoiler alert, I’ve never flown any level-D sim which I found realistic either.

8 Likes

I completely agree with you. At the end of the day this sim is classed as a game and always will be. It’s not a professional simulation tool used for real world training. It’s quite funny how people start to talk about principles of flight when the sim they are using doesn’t even simulate “principles of flight” fully.

1 Like

Imagine creating a topic not wanting realistic behavior in a flight simulator…

1 Like

The turn coordinator in the 152 and 172 is completely centred when not using the rudder. But in reality you would have to use rudder to have it centred. Are you sure these aircraft simulate adverse yaw properly?

You mean the slip indicator, the turn coordinator itself won’t be centered as it indicates the rate of turn (+ roll acceleration), not whether you are flying coordinated or not.

1 Like

There is an existing thread discussing adverse yaw. One poster show a video, which I commented on, highlighting that the nose did slip outside the turn. The video it refers to is immediately above my post.

Its just an aspect of the sim that requires further tweaking, but is not absent.

1 Like

Easiest way to test this is to fly close to stall speed and make large aileron deflections, you should see the nose yawing all over the place. Its the same as with propeller slipstream effect, it also seems to be completely missing for a couple of aircraft.

2 Likes

Because of the low airspeed you now have less rudder authority?

i don’t see anyone wanting to make the op look silly … I only stated, that … due to the (good or bad) simulated real pysics, the monitored behavior might as well being intentionally, as you will notice the effect also in reality … and gave a source to read about the reasons for that.

Yes directional stability is lower. Same with slipstream effect, just cycle the power between idle and full close to stallspeed and you will definitely notice the slipstream effect if its there.

That is how we used to demonstrate those effects when I was an instructor.

2 Likes

The OP didn’t ask if it was correct behaviour, they immediately assumed it was a defect and was making a complaint. What most people do if they are just hobbists is ask first before assuming they know better.

Its perfectly acceptable to suggest someone reads up on the principles of flight when their original post shows a complete lack of understanding for those principles. The fact that the sim doesn’t represent it correctly has nothing to do with the OPs total ignorance to flight control secondary effects which ARE simulated since they’re complaining about them.

The OP made an assumption that they knew it’s an error and it should be fixed, when in fact they’re wrong. Directing them to an article and suggesting some reading material for them is about as helpful as I could have been without breaking out a lecture or two in the middle of a forum topic :joy:

8 Likes

No, nothing special on the Do27 except for the very large vertical tail.

He whacked my hand when I went for the yoke just as I was trying to flare……boy did the trim wheel get a work out….

Get off your high horse cobber……if you have ever played a console game where you “fly” a plane, the aircraft dynamics are generally softened to counter the wing drop in the yaw….so if he has been playing those games he probably thought that that is how a real aircraft would function……hence my reference to the Xbox….

1 Like

Rudder does induce roll.

Indeed to counter natural roll in the Spitfire which has no aileron trim it is possible to add a little rudder trim to get the plane to fly level.

Rudder trim is usually the way you trim all single engined aircraft for level flight.
Even if there’s aileron trim available.

2 Likes

Do a YouTube search on Warren Vanderburgh and watch the few videos of the training talks he gave American Airlines. Good stuff on airliner maneuvering

3 Likes

In real life an airplane can be rolled left and right with rudder. That’s a thing. They got it right.

Yep. And the higher angle of attack, the more authority the rudder has on roll. There’s a certain angle of attack, before stall, called crossover angle of attack where the rudder has more roll authority than the ailerons.

1 Like

When I was getting my VFR checkout with the FAA inspector, he showed me how to fly the plane with just the throttle and the rudder which was pretty cool! I think the behavior is working fine.