The Silver Spitfire

THE SILVER SPITFIRE

If you ever wanted to do a world tour in a Spitfire, join The Silver Spitfire Expedition on the Got Gravel server! This is a 100% authentic reenactment of a real expedition with a Spitfire that took place in 2019. Hop over and check it out!

GOT GRAVEL DISCORD SERVER

Got Gravel

Making You Smile

Join our ever-growing family of aviators (1500 members and growing):

• Slow Bush Flights
  • Fast Air Races
  • Hangout and chit-chat
  • Epic Expeditions
  • World Tours

For this expedition we’ll preferably be flying the newly released Spitfire MkIXc by FlyingIron Simulations, currently available on their website and soon in the MSFS store:

Want to join in another bird? You’re welcome too!

3 Likes

Ha! That’s a tall order! If I learned how to take off and land in it without tipping it over, I’d jump on that. :wink:

2 Likes

You’ll get there, the Spits in real life too is a challenge on the ground but a beauty in the air. Watch some YouTubes on Take-Off and Landing, very helpful! :hugs:

Quick take-off tips:

1. Trim rudder and elevator properly
  2. SLOWLY advance throttle to +8 boost. Important to have some speed, and therefor control surface authority, by the time you hit higher torque levels.

Other than that, studying the manual for an aircraft of this complexity is pretty much a must. FlyingIron’s Spitfire comes with a very nice guide to help you get started.

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions. I am gonna go try it again.

1 Like

I’ll be conducting some lessons during the coming week as well, no planned days and times due to my RL schedule, but should be no problem catching me on my server.

1 Like

Did 3 circuits just now… Takeoff is FAIRLY smooth for the most part. Key was to advance throttle SLOWLY and not exceed +8 or so… then when airborne, give full power. Landed all 3 times too… SOMEWHAT ok… Key was to approach as straight as possible - so this means planning an approach pretty far in advance. Minimal rudder on rollout, but the wings still want to drop here and there. I actually used minor aileron adjustments to get them back level… the danger of tipping over to the side is still great though. This is a TOUCHY aircraft. I am sure that it will get a little easier with more practice.

2 Likes

I finally got it, man… Smooth flights now - no issues on takeoff or landings. You just need to be gentle and patient with it and it’s really nice to fly. Thank you for the suggestions, I am so happy flying this now.

2 Likes

Super! In any case I’ll be in Goodwood airport at 0900z tomorrow if anyone wants to hang out or needs some tips. West USA server.

I actually go to Goodwood a couple of times a year (well, when I could before the Covid lockdown). My son works for Boultbee Flight Academy, who operate the Spits. His bosses were the guys who did the round-the-world marathon in the silver Spifire (and I saw some of the prepping of the plane itself).
I will purchase the Flying Iron Mk9 as I have been impressed with the XP version. Also, I hope ORBX will port over their Goodwood airfield scenery to MSFS, as the default is pretty awful.

P.S. Anyone who has the chance, but not the cash to go up in the TR9, there’s also a Mk9 simulator there.

1 Like

Wow that is interesting!! Your son must have a whale of a time working for these 2 gents and the spits :grin:

Indeed he does: as you can tell from the photo :slight_smile:

3 Likes

3 Likes

That is just SOOO cool!!

Spits Party starting in 45 minutes in Goodwood (EGHR), West-USA server.

Head to my Discord for details (The Silver Spitfire category):

Completed leg 2 from Newcastle to Lossiemouth. Very decent weather.

1 Like

Arrived in Iceland, what a stunning island this is!

1 Like

Very nice screenshot! Is the spitfire worth it’s 33 bugs?

Absolutely!! An amazing airplane and fantastic Merlin sound…that engine is like music :grin:
This is simply a super deal for this sort of high level quality AC. Working the cockpit is a joy too, so well done. I can only recommend it. Highly.

1 Like

I just bought it. What a beauty it is! Flying it in VR is next level, and that sound is amazing indeed! Thankyou for the recommendation!
I will wave when I see you in the sim!

2 Likes

Arrival in Greenland at last after a stormy flight from Iceland.

2 Likes