The SU5 hotfix: what a good and simple solution should look like:

I’m referring to the update that was announced in yesterday’s development update:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/blog-july-29th-2021-development-update/430045/2

The context was a bike bought with brakes and them getting removed without consent. Your BMX example is neither of those.

You get what you paid for. In this case you already got much more than you paid for.

It will get better again. Your priority is looks, some others prefer performance, some others prefer system improvements. Neither of them is the center of the universe and Asobo/MS need to balance.
This time performance was main focus and I see the performace as a total upgrade. Next they’ll surely focus on the looks again.
Give them time. All we got now was simply due to release pressure for XBox. With that out they can now focus on fixing issues and improving graphics again, hopefully with many more options for people to tune them for their higher end rigs to get the best visual quality.

1 Like

thank you much appreciated

lol

Based on your words, here’s an example: I bought a car that was completely fine with me, but did not go as fast as it could go. Suddenly, the manufacturer announced in the news that it could fix the problems and make the car go faster. I give it to the service and after the repair by the manufacturer, the car really goes faster, but all the seats, the music system, air conditioning, etc. have been removed from it. to lighten her weight and allow her to go faster instead of making changes to the engine and leaving everything else at the same high level.

And as it turns out, this decision was made by the manufacturer because they started selling a new version of the car in which there are no seats, air conditioning, etc., t was decided to remove these things from my car.

3 Likes

Say no more… Cars have always served as a pefect analogy for anything :smiley:

If graphics are all that makes the sim a sim for you, you might see I this way, that’s true.
But at least in our case the manufacturer said that we will get better seats and music system later and in the meantime we got a bit worse seats to drive with for the sake of speed that a LOT of people asked for.

There’s no car analogy that you can’t turn around. That’s what makes them so “great”.

This is a completely frivolous approach to software development. You can also downgrade the quality to msfs x and promise that they will get better someday, right?

And yes … sim is not measured by graphics, but so far in MSFS2020 there really was nothing from the sim. Physics, wind, operation of aircraft systems … everything is at a low level of elaboration. The graphics smoothed it out somehow.

That’s a total exaggeration and doesn’t help the argument that some of us suffered visual quality for MANY more being able to actually fly the sim (once the CTDs are fixed) without a stuttery mess.

You can be egoistic and say you don’t care about others.
But you could also be happy that we all can enjoy the sim with decent framerates even in glass cockpits and wait a few weeks or months to give Asobo time to recover visual quality, now that there’s headroom especially on higher end systems (there was none before, all maxed put due to CPU bottleneck).

I absolutely can.
I see no reason not to be upset that I lost the quality of the product and hardware that I spent a lot of money on so that those who spent $ 370 on the cheapest console in the Xbox lineup can play comfortably. This is completely my right.

2 Likes

Ffowcs, you are absolutely right.
I bought a PC, cause i will get out the best of a game.
I bought games, after i checked them for to give the best at a PC!
I wont bought Xbox games (PC ports), they are ugly.
This makes sens.

Another option would be to have the same code base but with the one exception of having a different settings menu so PC can be configured for higher end while XBOX settings can be capped at the level the console can handle. Maybe this could be achieved with just a different config file for the two platforms.

My problem is solved, running a system image restore taken last Sunday, with good old SU4, which from now on will be carefully started with the pc disconnected from the internet until the map loads. I don’t mind to also remain forever in offline mode with whatever scenarios I have cached, weather force or some preset weather, and my FBW gauges in VR nice and clear, together with the beautiful clouds I refuse to abandon.

Also it was necessary to configure the MS Store to not update automatically any of the apps, so the executable that forces you to install this ipad sorry ,xbox version doesn’t download.

No need to be angry or disappointed, this is my license and if I choose to stop accepting updates let’s see Asobo forcing me…

I am sorry for people that don’t have a full system image to go back to. Those that consider this simulator enough of a “mission critical” thing for their lives and spent thousands of dollars in hardware, should have learned by now not to trust these forced bad experiences that happen once in a while with Asobo and gotten a 50 dollar hard drive to run a weekly windows backup on their drive.

The restore runs by the way 10 times faster than it was to download the new cartoons placed where previously we had high res textures…

2 Likes

There is already such a difference. You have none of the graphics options except HDR on the XBox.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

How exactly do you manage to start a flight? Everytime I turn off my internet it says that I am not connected to any network and the game quits.

1 Like

ONE thing is sure, we ( simmers) all agree that we do not care about the date of release…we care it works when it gets released. And untill now, i’ve tried hard to be comprehensive for MS/ASOBO team, but…this time…I am really really really…really disapointed.
They should just do a WU+SU update once every 6 month, and if they’re a little late on schedule for one or some of the points to be improved, take a couple of weeks extra to Finish it properly…like professionals. Please :pray:t2:
because at the pace they are doing updates now (no matter if it is SU or WU), our beloved sim remains barely playable for a week or two after each one of them…every 2 months, in average.
Ask people to be part of a beta tester team, take your time before releasing it. Otherwise you will just build frustration and anger up at people, for something that is supposed to be “therapeutic/relaxing/fun” and then start the insults and critisism that the product…or the team…shouldn’t/doesn’t deserve.
Can’t even imagine what my boss would say, if i’d handle him unfinished files on the due date, because it was more complex than expected. He would blame me for not telling him i needed more time, or not working extra hours to finish it ontime.It would happen only once…in a while. Not EVERY single time, or i’d get fired.

1 Like

Does anyone know if any additional patches will be released after today’s fix, I can’t recall ms releasing two hot fixes between Sim Updates, it’s likely we would have to wait a min until the next world update regarding other stuff that was nuked.

The next planned update is World Update VI.
If the patch today doesn’t fix the critical issues (mainly CTDs), maybe they’ll add one more.
But don’t expect a patch that changes something not critical (e.g. LOD). The past has shown that they rather work on completing the next update (WU or SU) than spending time creating an intermediate patch which doubles some of the work.

1 Like

It works. It’s all about when to disconnect and when to restore the connectivity. My ms store version requires internet for the program to start to launch, and the interruption needs to happen around 3-4 seconds after you see the set your experience, checking for update. Let it run disconnected for a few seconds, then connect and disconnect wifi again once more. It will resume loading, at this point you can restore connectivity and use it as normal.

1 Like

found an easier solution:
Play games offline on Windows 10 using Offline mode | Xbox Support
first run has to be online for the sim to update its offline license. Let it run all way up to the mandatory update notice. Then you’re all set to next time start it disconnected without errors

When it will launch? I am waiting it.

Please continue the conversation in the main 1.18.14.0 thread now that it has been released.