Thinking of upgrading my RAM. Yes or no?

I’m currently running an Asrock X570 Pro4, 3080Ti, 5800X3D, and NEO FORZA 32GB 3200 CL16 RAM. For $100 bucks ($210.00 discount!) I can grab G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-4000 PC4-32000 CL18. I’m thinking, for $100 what can it hurt right? Any upside/downside to this?

One downside, you spend the $$ and don’t notice any difference. All you have then is bragging rights on the speed of your RAM.

4 Likes

So what you’re saying is that there is no upside! :joy:

1 Like

In my very long PC build experience I would say any difference in performance would not be discernible.

5 Likes

I will add my agreement with @YearlingDeer319’s statement. Without special equipment I seriously doubt you’d experience anything different.

2 Likes

Totally agree.

3 Likes

I’ve run my 5800X3D with my RAM set to 2666 default and 3200 XMP and there was no discernible performance difference in MSFS.

The only reason I would upgrade RAM with this CPU is if I didn’t have enough for what I used the computer for and if it’s mainly MSFS then 32GB is plenty.

I will stipulate that MSFS has long been known to have better performance with faster ram. I went from cl16 3200 mhz ram to cl16 4000 mhz Samsung B-Die ram and felt the difference. Been using computers and building them since the very first Macintosh home computer …so lets say 40 years . The difference is subtle but substantial in certain sim conditions. So my opinion is if it’s not breaking the bank…go for it !

Check your ram utilisation while running the sim with all other supporting programs that you use, I’d be surprised if you need to upgrade

RAM is helpful when working with large files, such as video editing, or database work. Once you have a file open that exceeds your RAM, Windows starts using the hard drive to manipulate the file, which can significantly hinder performance. With modern SSD’s, you may not notice a performance hit, but you’ll eat up the limited number of writes and end up with a bad drive much sooner.

With the sim running, hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc to pull up the Task Manager and go to the Performance page. You’ll probably find that the RAM is nowhere near its max.

32 gb isnt really necessary unless you plan to do other thing on the same PC while also playing the game, but its a nice to have. the sweet spot for ryzen 5000 series is 3600mhz but for the price and quality, I’d get the g.skill 4000mhz (or 3600mhz if it has the dame discount). worse case you notice no difference, it’ll be in the fractions of a second, but it’ll be there.

1 Like

that thing is from 2 years ago. not relevant today. I used to get ram consumption like that pre SU5, it all changed on SU5. su5 was the xbox release. xbox has like 16GB and its shared with the gpu

2 Likes

i disagree. you will always benefit from more available memory, especially if you run apps with your sim (volanta, vpilot, fsrealistic, navigraph etc) or have lots of addon content. The game was optimized to run with 16GB of memory for the xbox release yes, but Xbox underperforms even against most mid-level PCs running at 4K (imo) given the fixed, standardized hardware and software for the console.

Think about it like this: The game at some point will fill up with data in the RAM and has to remove some of it to store new data that it will need. It would be like filling an 8 ounce glass with water versus a 16 ounce glass; you don’t have to get up from your counch, walk over to the sink and refill the glass as often with the bigger cup. In PC terms, this can translate to an increase in performance since the game doesn’t have to divert CPU processing to delete the old information then curate and store the new data in the RAM as often and i believe this is where the rolling cache can come in handy. These processes are all happening in microseconds but when the game is minimally playable at a smooth 30fps trying to render at 1080p+, it counts over the long run.

1 Like

I do have multiple programs running in the background I.e. multiple tabs in Chrome, Vatspy, Vpilot, Navi, vjoy, Logitech GHub, etc. I am not looking to increase the amount of RAM either. Just the speed if that would result in any positives overall. I am getting great FPS and minimal to no stuttering even at LAX running 4K Uktra settings.

I’d be going from 32 3200 CL16 to either 32 3600 CL16 or 32 4000 CL18. The 3600 and 4000 are virtually the same price

Gates said that 640K of memory is all that anybody with a computer would ever need. (Jan 16, 1997) :scream:

4 Likes

Lol
I remember making the jump from 128mb to 768mb (win98), gained performance was off the map…similar to the 1st time i played doom on my 3dfx voodoo after solely playing with a 2d card, amazing jump. Ever since then, every upgrade i do i hope for that type of improvement, but you don’t see leaps like that these days. It’s my “chasing the dragon” lol

1 Like

It should do, yes. However it doesn’t “give back” and instead clogs up more and more of RAM until either or both, CTD or stutters. And before you say it, Xplane 12 suffers from this too.

Exactly – Windows “less than stellar” Memory Management :face_vomiting: starts to break down after a prolonged period of memory allocation and deallocation of different sized memory chunks.
After a time, your available memory look like the holes in Swiss Cheese, and despite the large total volume of holes of free memory, none are now big enough, if a large chunk is now needed.

So yes, More memory always helps extend the time before this breakdown occurs.

If Bill Gates was to comment again , he might say --“64 Gigs is all the memory you need — today for MSFS”

1 Like

well…yeah. Realisitically speaking the cup just overflows when it’s full instead of being emptied properly

1 Like