This is a very good sim!

Hi all,

These forums do seem to be full of negativity sometimes.

I’ve been flying in sims since FS2004, via FSX and P3D to MSFS2020.

I’ve always been an on and off simmer, the older sims would require so many different mods for realism they just became an unstable mess. This sim offers so much to me as a casual but experienced simmer, I think it offers just the right amount of immersion.

I was descending into Krakow this evening, the weather was totally clear as it actually is tonight, the FlyByWire a320 was performing beautifully, I was getting a nice stable 40fps and the scenery outside was true to life, it was stunning.

The airports are all good enough, no they’re not great but to know the layout is about right, the buildings are about where they are in real life is enough for me, I’ll buy scenery from Orbx and UK2000 etc as and when I want it, but I don’t NEED to download loads of global textures, scenery maps, live weather addons etc. I don’t NEED a payware airport to feel immersed enough, I don’t NEED an ATC addon or to fly online (Vatsim) to use SIDs and STARs.

I know a lot of you have your complaints, fine, but coming from the autogen blandness of FS2004 (when the “virtual cockpit” rather than just a 2D image on your screen was a new and exciting thing) to accurate satellite imagery around the globe, live weather, live traffic etc is absolutely amazing to me.

And you know the best bit? It’s only going to get better.

Happy New Year everyone!

37 Likes

Agree with you it`s amazing :wink:

Still some issues but as you mention all sims has these some still many

6 Likes

I’m in doubt still, it is a continuous “wow this looks awesome” followed by a huge facepalm when discovering something fundamentally wrong again…

6 Likes

Did you ever use FSX? Compare the basic version of that and the default aircraft that came with it to this, different worlds and a lot more care has gone into this one imho

2 Likes

You are talking about visuals, with that I agree. FSX however had offset approaches, it had working flight directors with autopilot OFF (lateral FD bar), it did understand that bearing pointers / RMIs cannot not give a bearing to a localizer antenna etc. That is what I mean with fundamental errors.

Try to use the payload and fuel sliders when using metric or hybrid units and you’ll see what I mean, still hasn’t been fixed to this day.

1 Like

Not just talking visuals no, I fly mostly IFR and it works absolutely fine. Not perfect no, but as I said in my initial post I’m casual, so long as it works well enough I’m happy, I think a lot of people are. Hopefully they’ll sort the things you want soon.

3 Likes

Depends, if you fly to Innsbruck for example even when flying “casual” basic IFR it is unflyable without the proper localizer courses. Agreed MSFS looks 1000x better than anything else on the market. Time to shift focus to fixing the basics of aeronautics and become a true simulator:

1 Like

For GA, VFR and GPS, and with a tool like Little Navmap or Navigraph, this game has proven quite potent and promises to be so much more. I bought it knowing it would be an evolution. Cheers!

2 Likes

Glad to see some others enjoying the sim. Positivity on this sim is often buried under a rug.Not to say it has its issues.I am learning to grow with and its by far better than what any other sim offered out of the box.

3 Likes

I don’t think there is that much negativity. There is a lot of criticism, which is a good thing imo. Being an Asobo fanboy is not gonna solve anything, and neither does complaining. The only way to move things forward is by bug reporting and constructive posts, objective testing and reporting like comparing airplane performance versus approved AFM data for example. From a simulation standpoint there is still a long way to go unfortunately, I wish it was as big of a leap forward as the graphics. We need to keep pushing for a better sim. Most fundamental flaws and bug reports get completely buried below eye-candy posts like “we want trains”…

2 Likes

Yes, agreed. In the history of [home] flight simulation [going all the way back to 1982], we have never seen anything even close to MSFS 2020.

And yet the serial whingers keep on whinging!
They just won’t be told that the sim has to mature - through iteration - to become ever more bug free.

I have come to believe that these people are either ignorant - excusable, Stupid - unfortunate
or have agendas [known only to themselves] - shouldn’t be tolerated!

Sadly, there really is nothing else to be said.

Sim on simmers.

Addendum:
To the righteous and indignant who patiently register their legitimate complaints and requests for bug fixes, I apologize if you feel you have fallen foul of the above definitions.
To the ‘hidden agenda’ boys I say:
Go and immerse your craniums in some kinetically exited hydrogen hydroxide!

1 Like

Ignorant. Stupid. Having an agenda. These are not the only motivations for criticism.

Some of us expected a polished product that lived up to the pre release marketing hype.

Some of us expected it to have been tested sufficiently to be bug free on release.

Some of us expected therefore that future patches would incrementally build greater functionality as opposed to fixing bugs.

Does this sound like whining? or is it a rational expectation for a product coming from an experienced game studio with the financial clout of Microsoft behind them.

1 Like

Well, I did say SERIAL whingers.
And having read your …moderately toned post, I feel you come outside of my definition.

Regards.

I believe most people “complaining” or “whining” do have an agenda indeed. Namely pushing for a better sim. If your only interest is stunning graphics then congrats, that part is definitely better than anything else on the market. If you are interested in realistic flight simulation, IFR flying, working flight director, an accurate flight and engine model, ability to perform offset LDAs, low visibility take-offs and landings etc. etc. there is a lot of work to be done. Apart from reporting everything to Zendesk, I made a long list of topics (most of which were already available and working in FSX) which are required for accurate flight simulation:

2 Likes

Very nice reply sir! As you said, we shall sim on.

1 Like

If we all have the agenda of seeing this product grow into its potential, then we have more uniting us than dividing us. May we indeed find the most harmonious way of doing so.

4 Likes

And another moderate reply.
There is hope for this forum yet!

Of course all the points you make are true of every other sim that came before!
Perhaps you too fall outside of my definition.

Regards.

1 Like

I understand why passions run high in this community as investing in any flight sim takes a lot of time and money, so users want a product that meets their dreams of an ultra realistic flight experience.

That said it think a lot of the complaint is a bit inconsiderate of amazing and revolutionary achievements this sim has already made.

The other stuff will come. Just learn to enjoy what we have now.

1 Like

Wayzegoose

Well said, that man/woman.
And a deal more conciliatory than my earlier post.

Regards.

1 Like

Errr, In the light of your replies I have added an addendum to my above original post.
Sorry guys [guys: noun. Informal. Non gender specific].

1 Like