This is considered an ''Performance Upgrade" ? [SU5][ personal experience]

I flew the snot out of the Spitfire yesterday just because I could, i.e. NO CTDs at last, using a Ryzen cpu and Radeon 6800XT with a G2 headset. I was fooling around with the 200 render scaling in PC mode trick, which didn’t seem to do anything. Long story short, I didn’t notice a big gain in FPS in VR compared to 2D. The visuals were kind of meh, but the servers were being hammered and I won’t trust my impressions until things settle down.

In the end I got motion sickness from so much aerobatics that I had to take a break, lol.

Ryzen 5600X
Radeon 6800XT
32 GB ram
2 * 1TB NVMe drives.

Working fine here…

Win10 Version 21H1 19043.1083
Processor 5800X
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
AMD 6900XT
Driver Version = 21.5.2
Monitor HP 3840x2160 4K, 60Hz
LG TV
Quest 2

I’m glad you AMD guys are finally coming out of the CTD-in-VR woods with this update, probably thanks to this update being hand tuned for the AMD hardware in Xbox. You’ve had a rough run up until now!

2 Likes

Thanks man. It was a long rough ride, with all sorts of disappointments, not just in VR.

As you say, no doubt a result of Xbox being AMD based. Money spoke and the bugs got fixed. No thanks to AMD beforehand mind, they never admitted anything and left us all hanging. First and last Radeon card I ever buy, even though I know nVidia are also nobody’s best friend ever.

2 Likes

G2, 3070 - improved VR performance with minor issues like strange movement of reflections and some photogrammetry pop up.

Overall i’m very pleased with this update. Yes some things are less nice, it’s less clear (more a cinametic style feeling), however the performance is huge upgrade for me.

pro
Less stutters
Increased performance
I’m now finnaly able to set the clouds to high
I’m no finnally able to fly over every scenary.

neg
Less clear
Jumping reflections
the building up on some builings

Overall the pro’s are way higher in my case. I don’t want to go back to the performance of SU4.

3700x
64gb

1 Like

Intel Core i9-9900k
RTX 2080 Super 8 GB
32 GB RAM
Oculus Quest 2 via link cable
OpenXR

I have been trying to get a decent experience in VR since its introduction. Many many hours of tweaking. Never got a reliable system with a decent visuals. After SU5 I was thrilled for about an hour. Longest VR flight with out crashing and the visuals were better than I would have expected. Very little stutter. I did have more shimmering than I wanted and the tree redraw problem was noticeable. I thought I was finally going to be able to run in VR as my primary interface. Then it crashed.

The Quest 2 would show connected but I could not get a link to the PC. Not just for MSFS but no PC vr titles would connect. It would pass the USB test. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Oculus software several times trying different things. I reloaded drivers. I killed entries in the registry. I probably spent 10 hours trying to get Quest back up. I was ready to give up and contact support, then I tried to uninstall the Oculus software using REVO uninstaller. REVO got rid of enough stuff that I was able to reinstall and get it working.

I just finished a two hour flight over Manhattan NY and the surrounding area. The smoothness was not perfect but it was way better that I have ever seen before. Even over Manhattan with many settings at Ultra the flight was more than acceptable.

I did see a couple of strange issues. Around the NY area, many things were tinted green. Almost all of the roads were very green. I do see the tree redraw issue. It was noticeable but the redraw was very fast and did not seem to cause a lag in FPS. The cockpit rendering is decent when I get close but sitting back the characters are fuzzy.

I had not given up on MSFS VR and Quest 2 but I was getting there. Right now I am actually amazed that ASOBO was able to pull this latest update off. I know there are problems that need to be fixed but my current VR experience is something I thought was years away.

I started flight swimming in 1980 on a TRS-80 when SubLOGIC introduced their flight simulator. At the time I was amazed that a computer could do something so incredible. I remember telling a friend that one day the graphics would be so real that it would be difficult to distinguish from a real flight. We are getting dang close!

Then it was noobs and only with wmr toys.
Just like the tester before.

btt

10850k, Titan RTX, 32 Gb@3800, Pimax8kx

Performance: ok, FPS are 5-10% better, a litle bit smoother
but
Optic: massiv overexposed , much more culling and morphing, washed out textures , lod is a joke.,
From a distance, cities look like fields of ruins , clouds lower,

What a bad swap, I´am not happy…
I don’t even mention the 300 GB of mods that no longer work.

And for all of you who write “finally I can fly with enough FPS”. All you had to do was turn the knobs down with the same result. Now medium is the new ultra. thats all

4 Likes

Ryzen 5900X
RTX3090
64gb DDR3600
Reverb G2

CTDs all the time.
VR experience is actually much smoother since SU5 But at the cost of clarity. The shimmering makes cockpit gauges, maps and panels very difficult to read and that’s just so wrong. It was super clear before SU5.

Also, water reflections are unbearable and cloud quality has gone down. As in dumbed down. Anti aliasing seems really messed up. Colors kn the G2 are still washed out, too much whites, too much glare.

If the performance improvements were going to be at the expense of quality (to prioritize xbox) , the devs should have said so. Also, how does an update riddled with issues and massive CTDs gets cleared to release puzzles me.

All that said, Microsoft and Asobo both showed that they listen to the community and do the right thing. Now, more than ever, is the time. Great that the sim runs on xbox, NOT OKAY to penalize PC users in the process. Please fix this before the whole community sours.

Cheers
Guillaume

2 Likes

“And for all of you who write “finally I can fly with enough FPS”. All you had to do was turn the knobs down with the same result. Now medium is the new ultra. thats all”

Exactly this. The new update makes for a horrible VR experience. I used to feel like I was flying in the real world (with a little imagination, of course). Now I feel like I’m flying in some terrible X-plane/MSFS hybrid. I really hope they bring back the ability to fly in Ultra, because this certainly isn’t it.

6 Likes

Worked well for me and my G2 (which is not a toy btw thank you), and it was good apart from the weird lighting.
The hotfix though has ruined it again, textures popping in, horrible visuals at altitude…
Whilst flying through the middle of a dark cloud during a thunderstorm, the cockpit and external view of the plane were lit up like it was broad daylight.
And performance has decreased to top it all.

I5 9600K
2070S
16gb
SSD

Yep same here, all the things listed above has happened to me. After several ■■■■■■ flights yesterday, between the CTD, reloading and trying again i finally just gave up. I have no desire to fly in pancake anymore, so its a performance downgrade for me. I also have an issue with my controls jacked up. I can be taking off on the runway when my throttle mysteriously resets itself to off and i have to abort the takeoff. My rudder pedals do not cooperate as well. This is in the Xcub and i just haven’t had the desire to test in other planes. I think i will ground myself until i hear of a fix.

i7 8700k @4.9GHz
1080ti overclocked to an inch of its life
Rift S
Store version of FS2020

Although my rig isn’t the newest it was fine for me and the smoothness was ok along with the view, that was before SU5 of course.

Now absolutely horrible, terrible, abysmal, I can only describe it as looking at the game through butter smeared lenses now, its almost as if I suddenly need glasses. I’ve played around with every setting all day today and it just won’t go right. Any improvement in vision just makes it stutter all over the place. I don’t think there is anywhere else to go with it now, will just have to uninstall as its just not playable.

How could anyone release something as awful as this and be pleased with themselves. I think its obvious they aren’t interested in PC gamers and think the Xbox paying customers are the way forward. That’s fine but they need to reimburse all the PC players if so, this is totally unacceptable.

Serious question, how do you obtain a refund for this?

2 Likes

I have the same exact rig.

Got the same exact amount of CTDs…
Found that I can fly almost full “ultra” settings in VR. With NO-Retroprojection it’s really sharp, clean and smooth…untill it crashes…

1 Like

It seems like the CTD now has moved onto the NVIDIA cards. For nearly 8 months, AMD GPU users have not been able to fly with Reverb G2 due to these CTDs, and now with this update pushed for XBOX that uses AMD APU, the CTD has been completely fixed on the AMD GPU platform. I’ve been trying hard to crash it, but the sim won’t. So sorry for those who are experiencing the CTD. It’s been the most frustrating experience for the AMD users. Hope ASOBO will fix this without breaking it for the AMD again.

On the other hand, the VR graphic has gotten so bad on this update that I’ve lost all desire to fly anymore. The Antialiasing is not working or has degraded so badly that the trees and buildings are just a glob of shimmer, menus are plagued with jagged lines, and the color has been so washed out that I cannot even see the PAPI lights until I am on the runway.

100 render scale in SU5 is about the quality of 70 in SU4. What they’ve done is instead of optimizing the code and the multithread, reduced the graphics quality to a point where the sim is flyable at 30fps for XBOX, and called it an optimization.

2 Likes

I am finding same clarity in rift s very poor reguardless of setting .

Hi folks. Unfortunately, this update ruins the game for me too :anguished:

i7 7770k
MSI 2080
32GB
Oculus Rift CV1
MS Store version of the game.

I’m fully aware that my PC is not a beast it used to be and it’s in the lowest specs for MSF2020 VR. But I’m using it only for work and this, I switched to PS5 for gaming in general. I fell in love with MSF day 1 and I’m no sim pilot, just a casual player learning the experience. Had a cheap HOTAS from Elite Dangerous days so I’m using that. And I already had Rift. When the VR update came out, this game blew my mind for the second time. I’m 40 and gaming since 1986. MSF2020 VR in my opinion is the pinnacle of video games (so far). You can go literally anywhere in the world and it looks real and you’re IN the freaking plane. I’ve been dreaming about something like this since I was a little kid, it was sci-fi back then. “Old” people like me might know what I mean :).

Anyway, sorry for the bio, the performance was obviously not great, but with the help of some good folks on this forum, I managed to tweak my setup to the point that I was comfortably flying my beloved bush trips in VR and it was smooth and looked good. Not great but totally acceptable. And I already decided that once the GFX prices come back to normal, I’m getting a freaking beast PC with Valve Index and some crazy ■■■ HOTAS that my wife will want to divorce me if she finds out. But until then I’m flying with what I got, it really was a decent experience with all the tweaks and commands and the whole VR mantra before flying :).

But it’s not anymore. FPS makes me sick, the world looks bad, clouds look like they reverted back a few generations. I have to make myself remember not to move my head too quick and avoid big cities :(. I actually don’t want to play anymore. I looked through the forums, none of the fixes people mentioned worked for me. Wasted a week trying to make it better somehow. Just feels like my gear just fell out of minimum requirements. And I wasn’t aware of that update either, all was good, I had tons of new content to check out with Nordics update, didn’t read the news or forums… Then a full day update (with 300mb internet…) with exciting high hopes aftear reading up on it. And then, after I was freaking staring at the download % for the last 30 minutes of it, almost in a pilot outfit, with snacks and drinks and family locked down in a basement, I tried to play it and I was so let down that almost wanted to cry.

I have the game on Game Pass which I paid monthly only because of MSF2020. I already stopped the autorenewal and I will not renew until I read here that it’s been actually fixed. I plan on upgrading my PC by the end of the year either way so I guess I’ll try again then if nothing changes :frowning:

Sorry for the rant, I was looking for some new posts that might help but frustration won…

Good luck with the game.

couldn’t read all of that because who has the time, If you’re using OQ2 through Steam VR then stop doing that, it doesn’t work very well. I will repost something that I wrote elsewhere.

Did you file a Zendesk ticket regarding the “Sticky Mouse Pointer” (Mouse Pausing, Mouse Stuttering, Mouse stops responding in VR) issue?

Seems not many of us are having the problem, so it doesn’t seem to be on MS/Asobo’s priority list.

Please file a Zendesk Ticket if you have not.

1 Like

game on 1TB 980Pro
32GB
G2

OXR85/RR100/TAA/LOD’s200/mixed medium to ultra settings = 30-40fps

Reason for OXR85: Environment is so blurred since the update that OXR settings above 85 make no sense anymore. On the other hand, everything below 100 for renderesolution results in drasticaly degraded cockpit qualitiy.

VR performance boost through SU5: something between placebo and homöopathic
smoothness is better than before but at what cost :sleepy:

1 Like