This is the 225/03 wind thread

I did a couple of tests jumping between Australia and US locations where I had no winds previously. I used badbadweather.com to find places with low visibility etc. I also cross referenced to Active Sky XP to get the most up to date weather info and I would say the overall accuracy is about ~95% in sim. Way better than before and a lot more believable. Also, I did not restart the sim between changing airports.

There were certain spots in Australia where if I flew across those areas in the previous version the winds will change to 225/3 and that is also fixed for me.

Something I noticed to keep in mind whilst testing is a lot of places where online metars show high winds for example but if I cross reference to ASXP the winds are actually calm and the same in MFS. Can be out of date metars or interpolated data, not sure.

*Edit: did some more testing and it appears that surface winds are being controlled to not go beyond certain limits on the ground. If I go to airports reporting strong winds and gusts I only see them appear about 1000 AGL and higher.

I am confused by this thread, the poster wanted to be very specific but people are venting about METAR differences, sim weather not matching whatever weather source they individually believe should own the “weather truth” or even personal observation, not to mention totally unrelated stuff like screen blanking, VNAV and whatnot.

The Blank a.k.a. “225/3” weather issue was about weather reverting on certain situations, it was not about general weather accuracy!

Just BTW: METARs not perfectly matching weather also happens IRL, for many reasons.

I agree. I have been spawning flights all over the US and it definitely appears the 225/3 bug has indeed been resolved.

I think we should move any discussions around the accuracy of winds to the other top voted thread on this specific topic:

1 Like

Does that mean I will need to update my “WIND TWO TWO FIVE AT THREE” black polo? I can put a red “FIXED” across it. :slight_smile:

I agree. Now we need to have a thread around accuracy or relative accuracy of the prediction model and it should bubble up differently if it is indeed very different.

1 Like

Just tried the second patch, flying out a random airport in the area around Hurricane Sally (KNFD). Can confirm that live weather including wind works the first flight, even if you restart that flight, but once you go back to the main menu and plan another flight, you’re back to the dreaded 225/3 and clear skies and no way to get live weather back.

Super frustrating considering that this was one of the bugs reportedly fixed in the latest update.

5 Likes

I’ve got the same ! None of the winds tie up for me. Actual wind at KTPA was 9 from the south, the menu in FS2020 showed me 16kts on the ground and when it loaded my TBM930 G3000 showed me 3kts

Also in the climb the increase in wind is clearly just bumbed up as you climb. Not the same when I fly in europe the winds aloft work very well.

No idea why this is such a problem for US vs Europe (I live in UK) I mean it’s just METAR decoding.

For sure still an issue with US winds. I tried 3 airports today KSFO, KORD and KTPA all wrong and in the climb

Also the middle G3000 screen now shows wind in the top right and has it coming from the wrong direction

Arg ! The dreaded 3kt wind

The winds aloft work for me but the directions are wrong. The speed are relatively close for me. I tried hurricane sally and Chicago area

I made a new topic to focus on the low wind speeds at the surface.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/wind-speeds-still-too-low-at-ground-level-post-patch-2/274436

Just filed a bug report. The wind/weather issue still persists. I still get the clear skies and 225° / 3 knot winds.

I just had mod message me to suggest the wind not working might be user error…
Er…no.

I’ve seen the exact same thing! I’ve even had two flights have working weather, and then the third default to 225/3. At some point, weather breaks… and a restart is the only fix.

2 Likes

I can confirm, the 225/3 still exist even after the patch.
I was flying over canada toward “destruction Bay, YT”

and then again this morning from Puerto Rico to St Barts

Both had the same wind reading and no weather data on the G1000 radar at all

1 Like

I’m still having the issue with 225/3. First flight is fine if I restart the game, but subsequent flights have clear sky and 225/3 wind.

I’m using OnAir. I’m not sure if it could cause the issue.

1 Like

Add me too the list. One of the more depressing things about the patch, to be honest. I was hyped we’d actually get some real variance but only on the first load-in of the game. After that, nada.

I did a couple of tests today in the G36 upto 9k ft. I also compared this with MetoBlue

KPAE - NOAA & Metoblue - Wind speeds were within 3-5kts. Wind direction was within 5 degrees
KOTH - NOAA & Metoblue - Wind speeds were within 3-5 kts. Wind direction were 5-10 deg off
KJOT - NOAA & Metoblue - Wind speeds off a lot - 10kts @ 3k, 20 kts @9k. Wind direction was 2-5 degrees
KCHS - NOAA & Metoblue - Wind speeds were within 3-5 kts. Wind direction was around 20 - 30 degrees off.

I tried it by loading the 1st flight, and then end flight and back to world map for the next flight. I didn’t see the 0 winds and clear skies. Today, it seemed to be working for me.

There is certainly some issues with the wind direction, but I would say obviously a Lot better than the 225@03. I hope the fine tuning and fixing can be done in the servers now.

1 Like

Did you compare at ground level as well? I have and my conclusion does not match yours. I never saw winds being close to reported. They were always far too low. Ground level winds in metar/ATIS is based on a 10 meter standard height. So it is reasonable that winds should match shortly after takeoff. They don’t.

Yes, they didn’t really matc especially at KJOT and KCHS. I was only focused on winds aloft. The surface winds we have a different bug thread for to track it there.

Have 225/03 wind almost everywhere at every height. ATC calls out arrival weather and wind, and yet I land (when it doesn’t CTD on approach) in 225/03 conditions. I have to change weather to rain or cloud or something else to actually add a little challenge to landings. I fly mostly North America, but have done some Europe. Didn’t seem to be an issue in Europe as I recall. Flew over North Pole at high altitude, and wind changed over the Pole approximately.

Take it to Twitter.

@MSFSofficial
@MSFS_Support
@AsoboStudio

I did it here and here. Nobody will react if you don’t get yourself heard.