This is why we need DLSS

In some cases (Death Stranding) has better image quality than native res with dlss on.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll take back the part about DLSS not working well on RTX2000 cards. From my experience with Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield V, and Anthem. It seemed to really kill fine detail. And reviews of it from the time all seemed to confirm that.

Iā€™ve been looking into it more, watching comparative videos, and playing through stuff with DLSS enabled, and it seems that this has gotten much better as the drivers have matured. DLSS 2.0 is still better, but it seems that the original now looks pretty good. So I will backtrack on what I said in my earlier post in regards to it looking bad on 2000 series cards.

Iā€™d written DLSS 1.0 off as being a 1st gen iteration that ā€œwasnā€™t quite there yetā€. And I was wrong, it would seem. It seems very viable on 2000 series cards now.

That said, I still stand by my other points. Iā€™d love to see DLSS in MSFS. I really would. I just canā€™t see them implementing native DLSS for the reasons I stated. Perhaps when FidelityFX and the generic DirectX implementation of it become widespread, we may see it.

Interesting. Iā€™m already getting a consistent 70+ fps on NMS at 3440x1440 with graphics maxed out on my RTX2080. With DLSS, I should be able to hit frame rates closer to or above my monitorā€™s 100Hz refresh rate. I look forward to testing this out in person. I quite enjoy NMS.

2 Likes

Given the reluctance to implement any major changes and the shrug of the shoulders reaction when the question was asked in a live stream I fear no progress on a demonstrably useful piece of technology. I have used it with ā€œControlā€ and the results were excellent even when combined with real time ray tracing.

Really? Flippin heck. What CPU are you using?

Sometimes I think plumping for a 4K monitor with a 2080ti was a mistake as on the off chance you want to run things below 4K they look naff.

I am still not sure what you mean? It reads like you assume DLSS 2.0 is restricted to the 3000 series.

But itā€™s just a software difference.

1 Like

I have a 2-series and used DLSS in Cyberpunk, it caused excessive amounts of ghosting. Not sure if that has improved by now.

Like I said Iā€™m not really sure they know what it actually does. They seem to think itā€™s just an antialiasing technology.

I donā€™t have anything with DLSS 2.0 to test out personally, so I donā€™t know how well it works on 2000 series cards. nVidia claims it works though and from what I read and saw, it seems to work.

I run a Ryzen 2700X. At 1440p ultrawide, Iā€™m typically in the 70+ range. It will dip down below that at times, but that seems to be about my average.

If you have a 4K monitor, the only resolution you can effectively scale down to and have it look reasonably good is 1080p. Although with that, every pixel rendered at 1080p by the GPU becomes 4 pixels on your screen, so it can rob you of sharpness. While you can run 1440p, because itā€™s not direct divisor of 4K, it will look pretty bad. Thatā€™s why I went with an UWQHD. It pushes roughly 2/3 of the pixels of a 4K display, but looks ā– ā– ā– ā–  good and pretty much everything runs on it great.

DLSS, however, should be able to get 60+ easily on NMS with graphics maxed out.

I only bought Cyberpunk a month or so ago but iā€™ve not seen any noticeable ghosting at all with DLSS on. (2060Super)

Pretty sure they said they were really waiting for dx 12

I think what we need, is a debate between really knowledgeable people who understand engine design and requirements, on whether DLSS or any kind of upscaling would bring significant performance improvements for flight simulators.

In many ways, flight simulators have a different set of requirements when it comes to a graphics engine than for example a first-person game. Apart from the aircraft and custom airports, there are not really any highly detailed objects in MSFS, but rather a myriad of very simliar, low-detailed scenery objects in the form of houses or wind turbines. The geometry of photogrammetry is really simple for the most part.

The scenery is quite complex, but filled with non-complex objects. The draw distance is much higher than most first-person games.

For the most part, the CPU still seems the most limiting factor, along with RAM. Since the CPU has to compile draw calls for the GPU. Hence even people with RTX 3090s have rather mediocre frame rates.

I lack the knowledge to make a well-founded conclusion, but I believe DLSS or FSR might not really have that much of a benefit for flight simulators. It would be more common otherwise.

2 Likes

All flight simulators are legacy products, they are old, in computing terms they are dinosaurs. Even this one, I believe, is built on old code from FSX, which if true explains a lot. Graphics are graphics, if anything, a simulator, that doesnā€™t need 60fps to run, is doing everything much more slowly than an FPS game and a piece of technology that reduces the need for system power to display the games graphics provides increased overhead to do even more with the planes and other effects (like haze). Playing FS2020 you can feel the inefficiency in the way everything works. Compared to other new titles it feels slow and clumsy from the moment you try to load it. Asobo, as a company, does not have a good track record in game production, they are responsible for the miserable experience that is The Crew 2. Not all studios are created equal and I fear that Asobo is simply not up to the task.

Yeah everyone wants 85% frame rate gain :grin:

Thereā€™s a document about it online, about the method they use for this

ā€¦ like you leave out every other frameā€¦ and put your rendering scaling to 50% and you see 100% ā€¦you get 8x the speed (when perfect). The ā€œintelligenceā€ of the system: the inbetween (missing) information is trained for a specific game it can run on. It would be very nice if this trick could work for MSFS !

Thatā€™s really the big technical reason why I think DLSS would be of limited value with MSFS atm. It would possibly allow people with GPUs at the lower end of the RTX scale to run at ā€œhigher resolutionsā€ and more detail, but wouldnā€™t really do anything for frame rates, as the CPU is the current bottleneck in MSFS. People with the latest generation high end i9 and Ryzen 59x0 are still seeing CPU limiting in busy areas when running with everything cranked. Perhaps the DX12 optimizations they spoke about in past Q&As will help with this, but that will only go so far.

In any case, Iā€™m all for introducing DLSS, but I think even if they did, no one using current hardware would really see any appreciable difference in terms of performance outside of a very small slice of users who have are running RTX3000 series paired with the latest, highest end CPUs.

3 Likes

@Crunchmeister71 I donā€™t think youā€™ll be able to run this on low end GPUā€™s. I wonder if CPU load would be that muchā€¦ NVidia is talking GPU processes, not CPU processes. Youā€™ll need a lot of GPU RAM for this trickā€¦ the GPU is responsible for the interpolation, just before rendering things. You load the game training into the GPUā€¦ or - in case of MSFS - it belongs to the scenery and this ā€œDLSS-AIā€ is streamed into the GPU while you fly. But it could mean much gain when it works, also for MSFS. btw Asobo will probably postpone this, because NVidia hardware is not part of Xbox.

Asobo, as a company, does not have a good track record in game production, they are responsible for the miserable experience that is The Crew 2. Not all studios are created equal and I fear that Asobo is simply not up to the task.

I mostly agree with this. I think if they had the ability to solve the performance issues with the game, they would have. My hope here is that Microsoft steps in and brings resources to the table to address it.

When I say low end GPUs, I mean people running at 4K on the lower DLSS-capble GPUs. Since DLSS would be running at 1080 and upscaling to 4K, it may (and thatā€™s a big MAY) allow those to be able to run with higher level of detail on settings that are GPU bound. It wouldnā€™t necessarily increase performance, but would potentially provide some extra visual fidelity.

But like I said, I donā€™t think anyone outside of the folks with the highest end hardware that arenā€™t CPU limited would benefit from DLSS in any tangible way when it comes to performance.

The only way to know is to give people the option to turn it on. As a 3070 owner I would like that option but, as you say, they have no interest in giving it to us.

If youā€™re running a 4K monitor at 100% render scaling, you can actually test this. Run at 50% render scaling (which is 1080p upscaled to 4K) and see how that performs. In theory, that should be ballpark what youā€™d see if you were running at 4K with DLSS.

Lots of players do experience GPU as limiting factor, not CPU. I think when they would introduce this DLSS for the sim, that would not change. DLSS is both CPU load and GPU load, especially GPU memory load, because some part of the GPU memory must be used to store this AI information. It cannot be used for scenery. And when you really want to fire backā€¦ Consider they would have to train the whole world. We expect photographic scenery, no glitches. So this ā€œartificial intelligentā€ DLSS would involve a lot of learning/training ā€¦ all possible scenery in MSFS. A training for Asphalt-8, or a single shooter game can be prepared for DLSS much easier, because all scenery is already thereā€¦ and colors are always the same colors. We have weather settingsā€¦ learn thatā€¦ :yum:

1 Like

Agreed. Whether or not Iā€™m on the money with my reasons why they wonā€™t implement it (at least in the short term), I think at best right now that DLSS is just a bridge too far.