This is why we need DLSS

DLSS is a must going forward.

EVERSPACE 2 | 4K NVIDIA DLSS Comparison - YouTube

11 Likes

From what I understand Asobo is operating under the assumption (or delusion) that the engine they are using to power FS2020 is better than DLSS. So we probably should not hold our breath here even though super sampling clearly has benefits, especially for VR.

1 Like

They seem very dismissive of DLSS and not really very well informed on what it is or what it does. They seem to be under the impression that it’s just an antialiasing technology from the times it’s been brought up in Q&As.

But honestly, I think it goes beyond that and is tied to their partnerships. It’s simply no-go territory for MS since DLSS is an nVidia proprietary technology and cannot under any circumstances be implemented on XBOX which runs all AMD hardware. If it’s implemented on PC, it casts both the XBOX version of MSFS and the XBOX hardware itself in bad light. And they can’t shut out AMD hardware on PC by implementing DLSS, as it would also being casting their hardware partner in a bad light.

T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶,̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶r̶k̶e̶t̶,̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶n̶e̶f̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶D̶L̶S̶S̶.̶ ̶F̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶g̶e̶n̶ ̶D̶L̶S̶S̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶R̶T̶X̶2̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶U̶n̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶’̶r̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶u̶s̶c̶u̶l̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶c̶e̶n̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶R̶T̶X̶3̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶,̶ ̶D̶L̶S̶S̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶v̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶j̶o̶r̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶k̶s̶ ̶-̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶t̶e̶s̶t̶,̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶g̶e̶n̶ ̶C̶P̶U̶s̶ ̶-̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶C̶P̶U̶ ̶b̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶M̶S̶F̶S̶.̶ ̶D̶L̶S̶S̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶e̶i̶t̶h̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶ (EDIT: I take this part back. Actual testing with DLSS has shown it’s now WAY better than it was when I had originally tried it)

So, even if they knew what it was, had the ok from MS to use it, and were to implement it, it’s a whole lot of work to benefit a very small percentage of their user base. It would literally be years before the average user would actually be able to use it. That’s just not really feasible from a business perspective.

13 Likes

It shows in last months blog post that it is indeed under investigation. No clue where people are getting the “it is no go territory” and the like. It is #42.

11 Likes

The devolpers need to watch this video of Wolfenstein running DLSS on 2000 series hardware to be convinced I’d say.
Wolfenstein Youngblood - Ray Tracing/VRS/DLSS in id Tech 6 - A Next-Gen Features Showcase? - YouTube

1 Like

What would happen to those of us enjoying MSFS now with GPUs prior to 2000 series?

Nothing, it would be the same as it is now.

DLSS 2.0 runs just fine on 2000 series cards. Not sure what you mean?

I believe they will implement AMDs FidelityFX FSR support first, because it’s compatible to X-Box and open source.

5 Likes

I agree, from the Q&A I felt they did not even know what DLSS was or how it worked, that surprised me.
I don’t think we are going to get it in the near-medium future.

1 Like

another open world game getting DLSS with performance upticks into the bargain No Man’s Sky gets Nvidia DLSS support for smoother 4K performance - Polygon

1 Like

DLSS would be so nice, my 3070 is at GPU limit @ UWHQ in smaller airplanes

2 Likes

I see no reason at all not to take advantage of DLSS… AMD have their own version in the works which could also be implemented for team red users / x-box when its out, so that argument against it is a non starter.

DLSS 2.0 works amazingly well on 2xxx series cards… not sure what Crunchmeister71 is talking about. In Death Stranding for example i much prefer the visuals with DLSS over running native res with TAA, so i always use it despite not needing the extra FPS. Cyberpunk looks stunning still with DLSS and the 40% FPS boost means i can run it maxed out (with RTX off) and keep 60FPS at all times.

All games/sims should be implementing DLSS (and the AMD equivalent) The huge performance gains are more than worth any perceived visual downgrade, which in my experience is minimal to virtually non existent in games i’ve tried it with. No one is forced to use it. If it can be implemented it absolutely should be.

4 Likes

This technology is voodoo, really magic with my RTX3070 (but I see 2xxx series video too and it work fine) and really a game changer.

It also work in VR and can be the Savior VR users are waiting for :pray:.

Edit : So I remove the link, people have to find the wishlist’s by them-self it seems…Mmmmm ok, why not…

7 Likes

what benefit would a flightsim like ours have from DLSS?

(and this is a serious question :wink: )

A big FPS boost for starters.

3 Likes

ok, I have heard worse ideas :smiley:

DLSS basically takes a game running at 1080P and can then super sample (via some machine learning algorithm dark magic) and make the game look really good at 1440p. As far as the game is concerned it’s running at 1080p but it will look like it does at 1440p. It does come with its own tuning settings but overall it delivers good performance upgrades for not a lot of compute cost. For game like FS2020 and Cyberpunk 2017 it can be the difference between a great playing experience and not.

2 Likes

So there is not much of an improvement when you run the sim at 2160p?

Because it’s an upscaling technology what you would do is run the game at 1080p then use DLSS to upscale it if you’re frame rate for your chosen settings were poor. If you simply want to improve frame rates at your chosen resolution of 1440p then DLSS can work with that too, as demonstrated here No Man’s Sky gets Nvidia DLSS support for smoother 4K performance - Polygon

1 Like

You will have a huge performance improvement as you can say to DLSS to render your game at 1080p and then display it at 2160p. The image quality is similar (or nearly similar, nearly imperceptible) as showed in a lot of video you’ll find easily. So with DLSS you will have a fps boost and you’ll be able to raise even more your settings. Try to run MSFS with the same settings but in 1080p on your 4K monitor, and check fps or monitor your GPU usage, and you’ll have an idea of performance this technology can give.

I tested it on several games on my 1080p TV and even here I had a very big boost in performance with a really crisp image. the game render at lower resolution than 1080p in my case, but the image was perfect.

2 Likes