This stopped the stutters and popping sound for me!

I don’t know what could be causing it code wise, but I know it’s most definitely a code issue, and not an issue on the client side. Far too many people are suddenly seeing issues where none existed before, and those issues appeared post-patch.

I came up with my list of current performance issues just by spending a lot of time reading peoples’ threads in the forum. The more I read, the more I realize people are describing 3 very separate issues. All result in performance issues, but it manifests itself in clearly different ways. They could all be related, but I believe there are at least 3 different issues as I laid out in my other post.

The worst in my list is #2. It seems to be a compound effect from an unaddressed bug in the UK update along with something else in SU3. That one is the most crippling of all, as it’s grounded many simmers completely.

Only Asobo can fix this. Let’s hope that this week brings a hot fix, but honestly I think we’re all going to have to wait until the next update.

EDIT:

I can say without a doubt that the major performance killer for me is Terrain LOD. I used to be able to have both Object and Terrain LOD at 200 prior to SU3. Now if I put Terrain LOD up over 80, frame rates drop drastically with every notch on the slider. At 80 everything seems ok, and lowering past 80 seems to have minimal effect other than decreasing terrain visual quality.

I tried this today. Unfortunately no improvement on stutters for me.

This actually did help me a lot. I had no expectations as I figured it was just another placebo. I should be clear that I don’t fly anything with a high roll rate except the spit and I fly that like a GA bird. Any type of high roll rate will introduce performance issues for me as I have to run with 30fps ASW.

It is a little bit better for me

I’ve experienced the same problem. Did this “fix” and sporatically my fps drop from 45fps to 6fps. Did not happen prior to this fix. :frowning:

If you look at it at a performance of the sim vs time of day, my money is now on server bandwidth issue(s) on their end.

Just added 4k today so off to stutter through the desert.

Well, I just encountered this for the first time in a random flight (vs going to places it was known to happen).

I was on a direct flight from Vero Beach (KVRB) on my way to Orlando Executive (KORL). I was cruising along at a nice 2000 feet enjoying the landscape, at about 25-28 fps - a rather nice frame rate compared to the garbage I’ve been seeing as of late.

Out of nowhere, I dropped to 1-5 fps. Left it run for 5 mins that way, and it never recovered. Had to abandon the flight.

2 Likes

As soon as I complete my current flight I’ll try this out on my beast.

So far, I’ve had very little trouble. Interesting to see if your route brings it to it’s knees.

I’ve had my share of post WU3 and SU3 performance issues (#2 & 3 on my list above), but it’s the first time I’ve experienced this bug except at a spot it’s known to happen repeatably.

I guess I won’t be flying that route again until the next patch.

1 Like

Same for me. That description is spot-on to what I’ve seen recently.

And when the performance takes a hit, I haven’t transitioned to a populated area or city. No obvious change in the density I’m flying over. Seems really strange.

1 Like

Yep same can be in the middle of nowhere and it will just randomly drop half the fps.
But yeah have gone from dense area’s into area with not much around and the fps tanks.

I see there is issue’s since the uk update where cliffs along coastline’s are loading in to late and constantly changing shape as you fly near them. Must have changed something with the way things are loaded in

1 Like

Just flying the route now. All good until I got around KMLB, then a side show.

Never seen this performance in the sim.

Running on Ultra settings.
I9 10900
64GB RAM
RTX 3090 24GB VRAM
2TB M.2 SSD

Slide show from all directions.

Nothing around but trees.

1 Like

Just came good again.

29nm from destination. Probably just a few miles from when it started.

1 Like

Lol. I just did that yesterday !

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T8vLfvUopJVNcqsKA

1 Like

Spawned at KMLB. No performance issues.

Flew some wide circuits - no issues.

1 Like

The issue starts at 9nm west of KMLB and clears at about 12nm from KMLB.

Nothing but trees and rural land.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what surprised me. Glad to see it’s reproducible. Thanks for testing that out.

Pretty messed up when an unremarkable area like this can bring your god-tier system down to its knees like that.

If I had let mine go for a couple more minutes, it likely would have cleared up for me as well. It was my last flight before bed time, and I didn’t have the patience to deal with that, so I cancelled my flight. I may try it again tonight when I get home from work.

Just thinking here - may be totally wrong but another idea to throw into the pot.

It seems the first cases started when the UK World Update was released (with it’s delays, remember?) One of the “features” was the improved scenery mesh - which incidentally gave me no problems at all. However I seem to recall somewhere that MS/Asobo were “improving” the mesh around the USA as and when it became available, or something like that.

I say this because folk are now suspecting server/download faults - could it be something to do with how the mesh has been incorporated into the sim?

I’m not a programmer so don’t shoot me down, but do wonder if it could be anything to do with it?

Your guess is based on a very possible scenario and is as good as anyone else’s IMHO. The UK update is when I started taking giant performance hits, losing about 15 fps overall everywhere in the world, and with location-based performance issues on top of that. SU3 just introduced a bunch more performance issues on top of that.

It seems a full reinstall of Windows and MSFS helped a bit to get me back into playable territory, but I’m still short 8-10 fps from before SU3, and another 15 fps on top of that from prior to the UK update.

I’ve still not been able to fly over London since that update to see the new scenery, since I chug along at about 3 fps while doing so.

This is spot on. I have experienced no.1. I can’t fly around Brisbane city, mods or no mods and any plane, and I use to fly there all the time in the previous versions with no issues.

1 Like