This Triggered Me

“These posts hurt the atmosphere of the forums, which drives some of our community away and may prevent others from joining.”

Maybe they should find and solve the root cause of this problem. While it is true some people will never be satisfied, the large number of complaints and negative atmosphere has a root cause. (Most) people don’t complain for fun.

Luckily I only had a couple CTDs since release of which a few were from overclocking my GPU, so far the software itself has been remarkably stable. But there is definitely something going wrong maybe on higher end systems? My system is pretty old and barely runs it at a stable frame rate at medium settings. As for the updates, its a big frustration for me. Starting up the sim to do a quick flight only to find out the sim is stuck on some small nav data update, downloading all the fs-base files, getting stuck in a loop, download speed dropping to 0 mbit/sec on a good internet connection, I have had all of those… I have to say, I don’t like Windows and all the crap it comes with so I always debloat everything after each Windows update including the Windows store, maybe that has something to do with it…

Asobo foremost needs to find the root causes of all these software related issues causing CTDs and update issues. Those cause most of the frustration, improve their quality assurance, make an open / closed beta system for updates? The last update breaking the flight model with lift produced by flap deployment is just unacceptable, anyone could have noticed this bug by just taking one short flight with any FS2020 aircraft, how do they test those things? How is it possible those bugs still exist after 2 extra weeks of “testing” and “polishing”? And even when the issue was acknowledged by Asobo, I mean mistakes like this should be avoided but well it happend, nothing to do about that anymore, their “fix” is for users to go through the .cfg files themselves and fix their error, I’m sorry but that is just unacceptable, that is an awful service to a customer who might not have clue how to even find the MSFS folder on their harddrive. Another big annoyance is the excessive icing effect, they should have fixed that one by now as it affects so many users or at least add an option to completely turn off the icing effect (both performance and visual).

I don’t find the user interface a very pleasant experience either, the camera system is overly complicated, why do you need to go to outside view before being able to switch to drone camera or fixed views? Going from drone camera or fixed view to cockpit view, weird things happen. Why do I need to press a custom view I saved twice to end up in the correct orientation and zoom if I just want to peak at something quickly and most importantly, why is it not possible to completely turn OFF camera motion! Flying IFR in turbulence there is nothing more annoying than trying to scroll something into the autopilot and end up zooming in or out… There are very little options in-game, for everything you need to return to the main menu, no flight analysis, no replay (work in process), no helicopters, gliders, classics, mainly a long laundry list of single engine prop planes as long as my arm. No low visibility / RVR capability for IFR approach simulation, no offset ILS approaches. In short the game / simulator in its current state has very limited options apart from staring out of the window and observe the amazing graphics.

And yet, I’m still here. I still use X-plane every once in a while for seriously recreating a flight from A to B, but I’m also addicted to the amazing graphics the simulator has to offer. I have been close to bin FS2020 on so many occasions but I just want it to succeed as I can’t quite enjoy X-plane anymore, the Microsoft / Asobo team have spoiled us with their nice graphics :joy:. As a real world airline pilot I’m more interested in accurate flight dynamics and IFR flying and in that area MSFS just has so many shortcomings that for me its just completely breaking the immersion, I find myself starting up MSFS only for VFR flying and to test things out when I read about a bug or to see if they’ve fixed certain things after a new update. Unfortunately the focus seems to be releasing new content and better graphics compared to delivering on the simulator promise and fixing the current flaws and bugs. Also during the developer Q&As, very little attention is given to technical aspects, its mainly about water masking, night lighting, new world updates etc. As frustrating as it is for me being more interested in having the core simulator fixed, I’m committed to FS2020 as I believe one day we will have great graphics and a true flight simulator, Xbox and VR in one.

I made a list with items important for accurate flight simulation, most items are pretty basic and imo a must for any true flight simulator. Voting is appreciated:

So lets stick together and keep pointing out where the issues are for the developers to fix and engage in healthy and constructive discussions, try to end the negativity. The current state of the sim is far from being a realistic simulator, but it will get there eventually considering the 10 year commitment of Microsoft and Asobo.

3 Likes