Three screens, captain's view problem

Hello flying collegues,

I’m currently building my flight simulator and I have recently bought four 50 inch 4k TVs. You will see on the picture below how are they arranged.

I have a problem with the view from the cockpit, specifically with airplanes from the general avition such as Cessna 172. When you start up your sim and adjust your left and right screens, the default cockpit view is the captain’s view sitting on his left seat! In this view the instrument panel’s frame appears on my centre screen and a part of it on my right screen, this is what I want to avoid. I want to keep my instrument panel’s frames only in the centre screen. I know I can do this by using the right arrow key in order to move the panel from right to left. I’m moving it until the panel’s frames are fitted into the central screen and until the magnetic compas sets in the middle of it. That’s the main purpose actually, I want to arrange the magnetic compass on the middle of my centre screen and the panel to be visible only on it. When I do this and the magnetic compass sets on the middle, the pilot in the cabin is NOT moving along with the panel! This means the final result is: the compass is in the middle but the pilot remains in the middle as well. It looks like the pilot is sitting between the two front seats and the compass is right infront of him and he can’t see anything ahead. Only the instrument panel is moving, but the pilot not. Which isn’t supposed to happen. I want the compass on the middle and the pilot’s view to be from the captain’s place which is on the left seat, further to the left from the magnetic compass, without any visual obstruction infront of him. When placed on the runway the airplane should be exactly on the central line, but the view from the cockpit should be a further to the left from the central line. As you can see on the picture where the MSFS is turned ON, the panel is placed a bit in the right screen. This is not the default ockpit view, it is already adjusted, but as far I move the compass to the left, as more the view is hidden.
I tried to do something in the experimental mode or to search for another option in the menu but seems without success…
As you can see my yoke is placed on the left half of the screen, so I want my point of view to be on the left side as well. Now the point of view is in the middle (above the throttle and radio panels) i would like to make it like in the real cockpit. The left and right screen are showing different and the left image is clooser than the one on the righ screen as it is supposed to be. Then why the view from the cockpit is centred, but not in the left half of the screen? Why ia this not possible? I want to make it suitable for flying from captain’s view and it possible from co-pilot’s view as well. If I want to play with an instructor how would I do this?
Please somebody give some advice. In the picture with the simulator turned on you will see how the panel is showing on the right screen and the compass is not in the middle, and that’s not the default view, I already adjusted it a bit using the right arrow key. Appreciate this! Thanks in advance!

1 Like

The center of your head must be at the same location where your camera viewpoint is. Otherwise you will see a distorted picture on the screens from where you sit.

This is the law of optics.

Edit: The camera viewpoint is always perpendicular to the center of the main (middle) screen. The distance from the screen is dependent on the zoom level (field of view).

1 Like

@OldBoldPilot811 s you can see my yoke is placed on the left half of the screen, so I want my point of view to be on the left side as well. Now the point of view is in the middle (above the throttle and radio panels) i would like to make it like in the real cockpit. The left and right screen are showing different and the left image is clooser than the one on the righ screen as it is supposed to be. Then why the view from the cockpit is centred, but not in the left half of the screen? Why ia this not possible? I want to make it suitable for flying from captain’s view and it possible from co-pilot’s view as well. If I want to play with an instructor how would I do this?

You can’t sit off the center. Your head will not be aligned with the camera viewpoint.

This is what I mean the instrument panel is able to move, I personaly as well :smile: , but how to move the camera view point? It must be moved in order to be realistic.

As I wrote above: The camera viewpoint is ALWAYS perpendicular to the center of the main (middle) screen. If you move the camera around in the virtual cockpit, it ALWAYS points to the center of your main screen. This is how the picture on the screen is built from the scenery around the camera viewpoint.

This is the same in all simulators, games, 3D visualisation apps.

You must move your yoke to the center of the main screen. If ther is not enough space, you would have to move farther away from the screen and adjust the zoom (FOV).

2 Likes

Have a look here,

https://youtu.be/uc0gMN9q0rw

The setting of the main zoom is critical, I had this wrong and was making terrible landings, correcting it as per the chart in the video made a massive difference. You can sit where you like but it does not always work on multi-monitor setups :wink: You eyes must be central vertically and horizontally on the main screen as well the yoke is always central to main screen.

I would suggest you move the 4th screen next and aligned to your center screen because then you would be off center in captn or copilot seat and if you setup ir track or tobii eyetrack than you can look anywhere in the cockpit from whatever seat you want.

@PHSepp796 Actually you are right for one thing. Using track IR I really have the option to move the pilot around the cockpit… why I don’t have the same option without track IR… I would like to adjust it by my keyboard and do not use the track IR. In my opinion track IR is usef for people with single screen, can’t see any application for three.

@DaveJK9173 thanks for your advice but until 09 of January I’m away from home so I will watch the video later, but I still have faith in my goal!

1 Like

@OldBoldPilot811 One person commented something below and I realised that the view I want is done using Track IR. I remember when I was with a single screen and I was using track IR and if I moved my head further to the left I could even exit the cockpit and have a view below the pitot tube If I want… track IR had allowed be to move the pilot in the cockpit wherever I wanted, but I wish such option could exist without using it. A person in Facebook mentioned it about another flying aimulator where this was possible. To move the pilot even out of the cockpit.

okay side note this is a cool setup. I think this is how i’ll model mine (with what i assume is touch screens and aviaworx or something…

1 Like

Yes its two 1080p 15" touch panels running on the PC’s integrated graphics ports, I’m using Airmanager and op-Out Panel Manager software.

The left panel is ok but I’m going to try moving it the be central and over the yoke as having the primary instruments non-central is very distracting in flight.

If use without track ir i use the xbox controller for this successfully but you have to train yourself using it.
I describe here
For in this way you can do exactly this what ir track does,
I recommend that you bring back freelook speed and zoom speed because i think they are in need of each other in like a factorscale way.

Hope this can help u and i think Asobo is trying to get off the beaten path and l learn us a new way.
I think also this way is more stable to use the mouse for clicking than when ir track when it feels wobbly because head movement always happen while the xbox controller stops as you let go of the inputs

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I’m away from home until 9th of January, so I will try them next year. Any other suggestions?