Thrustmaster TCA quadrant still not completely working

Hopefully you get your add-on soon! :wink:

I got my Addons for the TCA Quadrant but it wasn’t working. It couldn’t recognized in Windows. Now I sent ir back and hope I will get a new one

Couldn’t recognize in Windows? But they’re not a separate device. They’re attached and connected to the throttle quadrant. So I wouldn’t think Windows would treat it as a separate device, but just the same Throttle Quadrant. The only different is that when you open the thrustmaster software, you’ll get movements from the other axis and buttons instead of just being there and not reacting to anything.

is it possible to get the landing switch working on both sides, on and off? or is that a firmware update that needs to happen?

Do you know which position is the active virtual button? According to the thrustmaster document, it’s Button 21 But it didn’t say at which position of the landing gear lever it’s suppose to trigger.

But judging the design of the virtual button. you should bind SET GEAR to Joystick 21.

I tested the modification on the standard A320 (Asobo) and there it worked 100%.
I also did the test on the mod A32NX, but there it is not working as it shoot be.
I don’t no what the mod makers have done with the logics of the controls. :pensive:
I try to figger it out.

After testing,
With all versions of the A32NX mod the auto brake switch is not working correctly.

@Neo4316 quick question that I’m certain you know
if you’ve been using the FBW Custom and for whatever reason you need to go back to the Dev version for to avoid a bug or two in the FBW version, does it ignore the throttle configuration that’s been setup in FBW Custom (the .ini file)?

In other words, does it go back to a version without the cool setup and I’ve got to rematch its setup, OR does it keep that from hereon out whether I switch to Dev or FBW Custom? I’m assuming it loses it/ignores it?

I haven’t tried it before, but I’m guessing that would be the case. Because the throttle config is directly related to the FBW system because it changes how the power scale for each of the detents.

Note that the FBW and the DEV version is exactly the same, the only different is one having custom FBW and the other doesn’t. So if you’re getting a bug that’s not related to the FBW system and you move back to DEV, chances are, you would get the same bug in DEV too.

Are you having a certain bug in FBW system?

It has to do with the Simvars for autobrake. The A32NX uses a local variable to keep track of the autobrake settings for the autobrake system instead of a Simvar. Part of making the switches work correctly involved changing to use the LVAR. As a result, you can’t automate the switches via SimConnect, so you aren’t going to be able to bind anything to them.

Well, short answer, not sure. Since I switched tom the FBW Custom (which I LOVE), I’ve used nothing else. We had a small NAV update and I’ve had a couple of odd things happen that never happened in almost 100 flights prior - both documented for the FBW team on GitHub:

1. a random loss of the flight plan immediately before the final turn to final at KSEA (another user confirmed they saw a similar thing using the Custom - but they say never happened in Dev, which I can agree);

2. the MCDU displays incorrect constraints on some airports. Landing at KSAN today on RNAV27 and the altitude constraints were not correct versus the current chart on a few waypoints (may have NOTHING to do with A/P - could be bad NAV data); and

3. the A/P handles speeds a bit weird sometimes. I’ll be descending and the DECEL point is WAY too early on most approaches IMHO (miles out and it wants to drop to G/S final airspeed), Also, the ILS approaches seem really low sometimes at a few airports. For example, KSAN - if I didn’t go manual and pull up in dense fog I was headed for buildings about 1000’ before where I should’ve T/D.

None of these happened for me in the dev version of late - only once I switched. It just feels like I get more frequent weird random issues over the dev version which felt very reliable to me. I dunno
maybe all related to Asobo’s last NAV update for all I know - it also seems to have killed my KORD STARs at FSDT’s KORD (which includes the new runway so there should be no issue).

1 Like

Hmm
 it looks like all of these issues are all related to bad nav data. They did update their navdata recently. So maybe that’s why.

I am using Navigraph mod update with AIRAC 2014 cycle which overhauls most if not all of the nav data in the sim. This seems to make the STAR and the constraints much more consistent with the charts. But I don’t really think about that one much. I just fly based on feeling, if it doesn’t feel right to me, I just override them and just follow ATC. But sometimes it’s the other way around. I recommend you use the Navigraph update.

If on your first point you’re talking about on approach the flight plan suddenly skips the next waypoint and the aircraft went straight for the final waypoint before the runway, then that’s an issue I’ve been getting since launch. It doesn’t happen all the time. But I find it happen almost always on the same airport with the same approach. But I’ve had this issue for so many times that I have develop a reflex that once that happens, I instantly engages the selected heading mode, and trace the original flight path by manually turning the heading knob. The new TRK mode is awesome too.

So, here’s something interesting on that note. The missing KORD STARs were because when the update happened recently (and I had already updated to 2014), it apparently reprioritized a line of code in an XML file making the airport have a higher priority than the NAV data. Once I moved the airport line above the NAV line in that file (per a Navigraph forum post) my STARs returned, so yeah, I supposed that same issue could theoretically explain any issues where NAV data might be under-prioritized versus some other add-on (I’d have to check but maybe this includes A/C?? I think it’s just scenery but who knows
you learn something new every day).

I do know about the known issue regarding the skipping the last waypoint - haven’t tried the TRK mode yet as a backup. I usually just DIR TO the waypoint it should’ve hit and it picks up the rest of the plan (most often - although once in a while it doesn’t automatically follow the rest).

I also use Navigraph - I had it updated after the 28th right on time. I always keep that to date.

I’ll see if the issues persist after I re-upped the Navigraph data update’s priority in the file.

Anyone have any makeshift ways to get the flaps lever on the addon to work with the 787 and 747?

Hmm
 I see. so airports SIDs and STARs will always take priority over Navigraph? Does removing the navigraph mod, and reinstalling it solve the issue? Or do I have to manually edit the file to move the line in the file?

There’s really no need to use the TRK mode, though. I find that using selected heading is enough to trace the original flight path. The reason why I don’t like using the DIR TO is because it’s usually close to the critical phase in the approach, so going back to the MCDU to set the DIR TO and choose the next waypoint again would take too much of my time. Not to mention I have to set the next waypoint again for the next one, and so on. I prefer the selected heading mode because it’s just a single click in the FCU, and trace it manually until I’m established on the localiser, set to managed heading mode again and hit the APPR button for the LOC and G/S mode until landing. But that’s just me, really.

Well technically if you’ve bound them to the flaps axis, it should work there as well. Unless the 787 and 747 uses a different bindings to control the flaps.

It seems that disabling the default fly-by-wire has a side-effect on other systems. That is the reason why the FMA and FD are most of the time not correct in manual flight and also the reason it’s shown as “experimental”.

At the moment this can only be fixed by a custom autopilot system that drives the FD and FMA itself.

1 Like

Silly, I know. But I could not resist! :smiley: Will certainly fun to configure.

3 Likes

Jumpin Jellybeans!!! that’s the most complete set I’ve ever seen. How’s the throttle handling? any issues moving them as they’re so wide. We don’t have the bar long enough to lock all 4 throttles together now do we?

What about plugging in? do you need to plug both USB cable? or just one will do? How do you calibrate both of them?

Throttle: It actually feels pretty good. It’s not so easy to push all 4 forward at the same time, so you kind of feel like you’re launching something big. I like it.

However, there is no bar for all 4 controllers. I actually don’t use a bar at all, because it allows me to fly stress free with only 2 thrust controllers sometimes (a320 for example).

It is connected with 2 USB cables to the PC. The Sata cables on the back each to the direct neighbor. This means you have 2 controllers in the settings:

1. ENG 1&2 + Speed Brake
  2. ENG 3&4 + Flaps

This means I had to remove the flaps at ENG 1&2, as well as the speed brake at 3&4 in the default profile.

I calibrated it as follows: I exclusively connected a quadrant, updated firmware (the tool also grumbles when several of the same devices are connected) and calibrated normally. However, there is a very minimal difference between the two quadrants at the end. I’m afraid that can not be prevented in the price category. But for me honestly completely okay. Whether you need it? Well, the times of the 747 and the A380 are fading away. But it’s cool.

The only thing I really have a problem with: The threads for the screws. I can connect the devices, but everything wobbles quite a bit. The accuracy of fit is - at least with my examples - a disaster.

ah, and of course don’t forget to change to “3&4” in front at the 2nd quadrant. But that should be clear :smiley:

Good to know
 Thanks
 this should help me prepare when I get my full set. I’m planning to at least get the second throttle for now and use the new one as my main Engine 1&2 since my idiot brain broke the tensioning mechanism in my current one straight out of the box because I screw it too hard.

I think that’s the only downfall of the TCA quadrant. It’s too light, and too fragile. The materials made looks cheap plastic. Compared to my X56 that looks solid. But I have to give it to them, the TCA quadrant is totally designed for commercial airliners. Flying with it is so enjoyable. And I get to practice my captain-seat left-hand flying compared to my right-hand exclusive X56.

1 Like