Time Zones incorrect

I completed a flight in Tasmania, Australia today and as I was landing in Hobart (sim time 5:30pm local) I noticed it seemed like the sun was too low in the sky. So after landing I manually changed the time slider in the weather window and in the sim the sun seemed to set around 6:15pm. The actual sunset time for Hobart today, 7th November is 8:03pm. An hour and a half out, what the??? Has Asobo got the size of the earth wrong? :rofl:

Mod edit: See this post for a list of affected timezones: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/time-zones-incorrect/469141/87

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue by following the OP’s repro steps?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additonal screenshots/video:

I thought of posting this here because I wanted to see this corrected for MSFS 2024.

Some regions in the sim have time zones that do not match with their real life counterparts. These are some of the regions I found in sim that do not match up with real life (either incorrect time zone, or incorrect DST dates) from west to east. DST Dates are taken into account in this list.

Region Correct Time Zone DST Dates (if applicable)
Baker Island, Howland Island UTC-12 N/A
American Samoa, Niue (New Zealand) UTC-11 N/A
Aleutian Islands (USA) UTC-10 / -9 DST 2nd SUN MAR 0200L - 1st SUN NOV 0200L
Hawaii (USA), French Polynesia, Cook Islands UTC-10 N/A
Gambier Islands UTC-9 N/A
Pitcarin Islands UTC-8 N/A
Yukon (Canada), Arizona outside Navajo Nation (USA) UTC-7 N/A
Rio Branco (Brazil), Panama UTC-5 N/A
Chile UTC-4 / -3 DST 1st SAT SEP 2400L - 1st SAT APR 2400L
Paraguay UTC-4 / -3 DST 1st SUN OCT 0000L - 4th SUN MAR 0000L
Le Golfe-du-Saint-Laurent (Canada), Manaus (Brazil) UTC-4 N/A
Newfoundland (Canada) UTC-3.5 / -2.5 DST 2nd SUN MAR 0200L - 1st SUN NOV 0200L
Saint Pierre and Miquelon (France) UTC-3 / -2 DST 2nd SUN MAR 0200L - 1st SUN NOV 0200L
Belém, Brasilia, Rio De Janeiro, and São Paulo (Brazil) UTC-3 N/A
Fernando de Noronha (Brazil) UTC-2 N/A
Azores (Portugal) UTC-1 / 0 DST Last SUN MAR 0100Z - Last SUN OCT 0100Z
Cabo Verde UTC-1 N/A
Portugal (inc Madeira and Porto Santo) UTC0 / +1 DST Last SUN MAR 0100Z - Last SUN OCT 0100Z
Greece UTC+2 / +3 DST Last SUN MAR 0100Z - Last SUN OCT 0100Z
Egypt UTC+2 / +3 DST Last FRI APR 0000L - Last FRI OCT 0000L
South Sudan, Sudan, Mozambique UTC+2 N/A
Comoros, Madagascar, Saudi Arabia UTC+3 N/A
Izhevsk, Volgograd (Russia), Mauritius, Oman, Seychelles UTC+4 N/A
Maldives UTC+5 N/A
Omsk (Russia) UTC+6 N/A
China, Malaysia, Taiwan UTC+8 N/A
Hokkaido, Ryukyu Islands (Japan); South Korea UTC+9 N/A
Tasmania (Australia) UTC+10 / +11 DST 1st SUN OCT 0200L - 1st SUN APR 0200L
Lord Howe Island (Australia) UTC+10.5 / +11 DST 1st SUN OCT 0200L - 1st SUN APR 0200L
Norfolk Island (Australia) UTC+11 / +12 DST 1st SUN OCT 0200L - 1st SUN APR 0200L
Kuril Islands, Sakhalin (Russia), New Celedonia (France), Solomon Islands, Vanuatu UTC+11 N/A
Fiji; Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), Nauru, Tuvalu; Wallis and Futuna (France) UTC+12 N/A
Chatham Islands (New Zealand) UTC+12.75 / +13.75 DST Last SUN SEP 0245L - 1st SUN APR 0345L
Phoenix Islands (Kiribati), Samoa, Tonga; Tokelau (New Zealand) UTC+13 N/A
Line Islands (Kiribati) UTC+14 N/A

Note: Not all incorrect time zones are listed. Correct me for mistakes or for regions I’ve missed.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

2 Likes

It’s probably because of Daylight Savings time. It looks like MSFS is setting all timezones to be their standard time, without DST being simulated.

3 Likes

Ah could be, but DST is 1 hour and and sunset seemed to be off by about 1.5 hours. Also the time zone is completely incorrect, flying from one part of Tasmania to another and the time changes by 2 hours where in real life its all one time zone.

@Neo4316 It seems the game does have DST, at least for London the UTC and live time are the same. In summer it showed an hour difference between the two.

We just changed back to winter time (a week later as Ontario didn’t want to ever use winter time again, but NY and Quebec do. The stock market is more important than what the majority wants. Dark at 5pm now ugh) and the game has that right. If I change the date backwards, the time change shows between November 6 and 7.

1 Like

So, I lived in South Korea. GMT+9.

Always I start flying From RKSS or RKSI. I Have GMT+8 time.

After Takeoff, Several Mile to East. TimeZone changed to GMT+9. Is correct time in my hometown.

How Asobo Set time zone? Any Plan to Fix tihis? Any 3rd Party addon to fix this?

It’s very old issue from former Flight Simulator.

1 Like

Time zones in certain parts of the world are incorrect. My main example is on the island of Tasmania in Australia. All of Tasmania is UTC+10 IRL. In MSFS, the eastern part of the island is UTC+10, but the north and western parts are UTC+8.5, which is not right. There are other parts of Australia where time zones are incorrect as well. Notably North Queensland.

The timezone boundaries are wrong in most areas of the world. They seem to be right in Europe and North America only. For example, landed in Hoton, China, where the time should be UTC+8 as it is in all China mainland. Instead the sim has it as UTC+6! It would seem that this issue is important to the realism in the sim. Rather than updates concentrating on scenery items, perhaps more emphasis on improving the realism as was originally promised.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

No

Brief description of the issue:

When flying in Launceston, Australia, the calculation of local time vs UTC time is incorrect.
The UTC time is 00:18, and the corresponding local time should be 11:18. Instead it is 09:18. A 2 hour difference!

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Start a flight with real time off, and set the time manually to f. ex. 12:00UTC on February 10th. It should be 2300LT. Instead it is 21:00LT

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

n/a

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

1.36.2.0 (probably in there before)

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

There are a couple of reports related to incorrect UTC/time zone:

1 Like

AFAIK MSFS doesn’t use timezones, but just a UTC offset based on longitude.

That’s why sometimes it does match the local time and sometimes it’s way off (like China)

Not really true. India uses a half hour time zone (+5.5), and so does Australia’s Northern Territory and South Australia (which are both +9.5, with South Australia at +10.5 in DST). Those are correct in sim. Additionally, it doesn’t make sense for Arizona to observe DST when Saskatchewan doesn’t in sim.

1 Like

An example shot of Northern Territory’s time zone (that one is 9.5 hours ahead of UTC, which is correct)

Those other two on the other hand (Madeira and Arizona) are incorrect. They show -2 and -6 respectively when Madeira should be the same as mainland Portugal at 0 or +1 if DST, and Arizona doesn’t observe DST at all, thus should be -7 all year round.

2 Likes

Parts of Tasmania Australia are incorrect, whole island should be AEST which is UTC +10. Currently in MSFS the east half of the island is correct, but the north and west is UTC +8.5 :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for telling me about Tasmania. When I looked at my sim, the entire island is +9 rather than +8.5 for the north and the west of the island. Either way, I added Tasmania to the list above.

BTW, I looked at the Canaries again. It’s directly south of Madeira and share the same time zone in real life. Surprisingly, they have the correct time zone of +1 (in DST). So the Canaries get to have the right time zone but Madeira and Porto Santo are off by two or three hours in sim compared to the real world.

1 Like

Ok I haven’t flow down there for a while and maybe I’m remembering wrong. The time zone is wrong nevertheless :clock10:

1 Like

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

check time zone in Armenia and then Greece. I did a flight from Yerevan to Athens - departed UDYZ on 00:20 UTC and reached TOD near LGAV at 23:57 UTC. Time zones are messed up!

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

n/a

Hey Folks, after discussion by the MSFS Forum Team a Wishlist topic about the same issue was merged into this Bug Report.

Several off-topic posts have been deleted to tidy up this Bug Report, if you would like to contribute please click the button below and fill out the template.

Cheers :sunglasses: