[TIPS] AVAST (or possibly any Antivirus software) services/agents running in background are an FPS killer

For those of you using Avast as an antivirus, try right-clicking on avast tray icon and disable all agents/services for a set periode of time and see if you get better FPS. You can do it while ingame and deactivate/reactivate to see the difference. Bear in mind that when you do so, it also disable Windows Defender so this one might actually be the sole culprit too.

For me, on average, when avast agents are up and running, they eats up 10FPS! As soon as I disable them, FPS instantly goes up again very noticeably. This works for me, try it and tell me.

Don’t forget to put them back on as soon as you quit MSFS!

2 Likes

thanks, i think the windows defender has possible the same issue? When im look in the task manager it has the most useage of cpu or ram after fs2020

1 Like

That’s a possibility! As when I disable all Avast agents, it disable Windows defender as well. Might be the actual sole culprit. I will have to test this

1 Like

It seems to be less convenient and easy to disable it on the fly though

1 Like

i will test it today, im wondering😊

1 Like

Please post the results here when done :wink:
I’ve updated the title

1 Like

Just tried it, disabling Windows Defender and I dont see any difference in fps.

I have tried and can confirm a little but - for me - decisive increase in FPS after having turned off Avast’s real-time-protection. Hamburg runs smoother now.
Thank you for this advice. For my middle-class-gaming-notebook every FPS counts … :wink:
I prefer running the sim with high graphics

My PC-specs:
System Model: OMEN by HP Laptop
BIOS: F.42 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM DDR 4
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Display Memory: 8056 MB
Dedicated Memory: 4018 MB
Shared Memory: 4038 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Realtek High Definition Audio

1 Like

Have you tried adding FS2020 folder to Avast’s exception list?
Normally Avast checks susceptible files when executing, reading and writing so that may adversely affect FPS. If adding to the exception list restores FPS try just excluding the exe file.

Well, after shutting down all non-necessary (for FS at least) driver softwares, setting Windows to background processes, elevating the flightsimulator.exe to higher than normal after startup, popping out the VFR and defocussing the sim it’s just like a drop in the bucket.

And it doesn’t help either.

Had the FS folders on exception already with my Defender.

Dont pop out the VFR to a 2nd monitor, you get huge drops from that.

Avast is total windows killer, I had to completely reinstall windows on my previous computer. Never again.

1 Like

What are you using instead, out of curiosity?

Windows defender and safe sites. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you don’t want have some problems, save some little bucks for year and buy best Antivirus in World.