Tobii Eye Tracker dips when turning my head

Not sure what the issue is. I have eye tracking turned off and am only using head tracking. When I turn my head, left or right, and it get’s so the view is about 45 degrees away from straight ahead, there is is sudden dip and the view rotates down maybe 10 degrees or so. I’ve recalibrate the tracking and set up a new profile but it keeps happening. I only is for MSFS so can’t say if it’s happing in any other games. Anyone else run into this? It’s not a big thing but still annoying.

1 Like

I have the same setup (no eye tracking) and same issue too. I only managed to mitigate it by changing any of the sensitivity sliders in game (for instance the first one), apply changes, return slider back to my original setting and apply again.

However this is likely to happen everytime you launch game again, so mitigation is not permanent. I think there´s an issue with the aplication of Tobii profile in game, because values inside it don´t change in the saved folder, so they are always correct. I have seen the same result during many months.

The files with profile values are here:

\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs

Just navigate there and open files with hexadecimal names (not the containers) until you see “Tobii” in the “Device name” header.

Cheers

What size monitor do you have?

Try turning off the ‘Centring’ option - it’s at the bottom of the list of settings - and see if that helps at all.

All centring will do is gradually move your view back to the home position if you don’t move your head.

I have the same thing, and I think it’s down to the way it works, rather than some defect. The shape of your face changes as you move your head, and it looks like it doesn’t cope well at a certain point.

It has other issues also, such as facial hair being seen as your face, and facial movements being interpreted as movement. Try it! Start pulling faces, moving your jaw around, full on zoom Carrey! :joy:

You’ll see that even if you don’t move your head, your view will sift around because the camera is seeing your face change, and interprets that as movement. A side yawn can make the view zoom in because it thinks you have moved closer to the camera as your face got larger.

32". I’ve read where the size of the monitor isn’t a limitation when just using head tracking, only for eye tracking.

Is the bar mounted underneath the monitor? Is it facing completely flat or upwards a bit? How far away from it do you sit when in neutral position?

Yeah it’s under the monitor. Calibrating always goes well. I’ve tried it flat and angled up a bit. Same issue no matter what. I sit maybe 28 - 32 inches away. Not quite a full arms length.

Hmm strange. Same kind of setup I have and never noticed it doing that. I will have a think if I have any ideas I will post back here. All I can think now is try moving it backwards a bit if you can (away from you) and see if it improves. Even temporarily sit further back (and calibrate) just to test it - I think it’s likely to be that.

Are you adjusting the sliders to line up with the 2 marks when you calibrate?

So that’s not the issue then. I have a 34" curved, using head and eye tracking with no problems.

I found something today that I didn´t notice before, so just in case… As soon as you change the default Tobii settings in game a new profile is created in MSFS as with any other controller. However in my case it did not prompt to assign any custom name to that profile, so it was still empty. I just went into profile manager and entered a name there.

There´s another issue that may be related to what you see in your case. As soon as you bank aircraft the head tracking is not consistent and tends to modify a bit the viewpoint elevation, which can be a bit annoying. I didn´t find a way to stop that behaviour other than re-applying settings and saving profile again as I explained above. Do you still see the issue while parked at apron or only while flying?

I still think there´s something wrong in the MSFS implementation. Maybe using cockpit coordinates, world coordinates or a mix of both, as banking should not affect your point of view (this does not happen with TrackIR as far as I remember). On the other hand both eye and head tracker work perfectly while testing them with the “preview” option enabled that shows the bubbles on screen, so HW is following you correctly.

Additional tip: remember to assign any button on joystick or mouse to perform “eye tracking reset”. This is handy when you reset cockpit or external views. I have mine assigned to mouse central button and also on my joystick and I run the two actions (reset eye tracker and reset cockpit view) at the same time to ensure cameras are always aligned.

Cheers

Tx for the suggestion everyone. I tried them all this afternoon but nothing seemed to resolve it. Very perplexing.

Happens all the time. Parked, flying straight and level, high altitudes and low.

I have the same problem, tried changing profile, made a new profile but nothing is changing it. Got pc / ms store.

Have you tried contacting Tobii Eye Tracker 5 Help Desk here?

The only other software I have used with the Tobii is American Truck Simulator. That doesn’t offer full movement as it doesn’t track your head moving forwards, and backwards, but the movement in that simulator is much smoother than in MSFS, and is less prone to the random movement, and jitteriness that I see in MSFS.

I opened a ticket with support yesterday. Will let you know if anything comes of it.

Got a solution that appears to be working (finally). I used the Alpha Tobii Display Setup Tool to move the tracker to the top of my screen rather than the bottom. So far so good.

Glad I found this post. I’m having the exact same issue in DCS and Star Citizen so I just now downloaded the “Tobii Display Setup Tool (Alpha)” so I could see how it was tracking my head rotation.

And yes, I could clearly see that it was dropping my head down when looking left and right.

It stopped doing it when I put my t-shirt edge in my mouth, covering up my neck and beard… yeah, my very modest beard…

I went and trimmed it down and it started tracking better… I’ve updated my Tobii support ticket informing the support staff that I now understand why SHE could not reproduce my issue, and informed her of HOW to reproduce it… looking forward to her reply.

She may find it interesting to note that prenatal vitamins can aid in faster and thicker hair growth, if she intends to dedicate herself to replicating the issue.

1 Like