Too high approach speed in the Fenix A320 (aicraft not slowing to VApp)

Hello everybody,
Ive got a problem. When the plane switches into approach phase Id expect the aircraft to set its “managed” speed target to Vapp.

But that doesnt happen. Today VApp was 137 but the aircraft just set its margenta target speed at 160 at stayed there. So when I came to the runway threshhold I was too fast.

Why wont the aircraft managed speed target become Vapp during activated approach phase?

Activating Approach just brings sets the speed to the Clean Speed (depending on weight about 200). However if you are in an open descent it might not have enough drag to slow down. So you have to temporarily deploy spoilers. Once at Clean Speed lowering flaps all the way to Full will slow it to the approach speed. I oversimplified a bit. Best watch eg 320Simpilot or Easyjetsimpilot excellent YouTube on how to set up and fly an approach. Good luck.

Hello, I have the same problem. when I set APP flaps, the STALL bar is raising to about 160KT.
It has nothing to do with the APP PHASE, it happens even if I don’t press it.

Hi all, I had the same today and yesterday. Never had that before with the Fenix. Exactly what MusikerHerbst38 says.

Just a normal approach till I reach about 160kts. From there it won’t slow down and the stall bar/minimum speeds bar rises to aprox. 160 kts. After that I receive several ‘speed speed speed’ callouts and the autopilot disengages automaticaly.

Anyone how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

I have been having the same issue recently,Just thought is maybe fsrealistic affecting something?I havent tested it out yet its odd though,Or possibly the AAU beta?

I have the exact same issue which i never had before. Is there a fix by now?

Probably the ground speed mini function. Only experiencesd this again with high headwinds

1 Like

I have also been having some issues recently with managed descents with the Fenix a320 (latest version FenixSimA320-1.0.6.146). Not being a real a320 pilot I am not clear if I am doing something wrong, or if there is a bug in the Fenix software…
When descending in managed descent, I have the situation of a waypoint (let’s call it POINT1) on the STAR having a speed restriction of 220kts. The Fenix a320 slows down to 250kts when crossing 10000 feet, and then correctly slows down to 220kts on crossing POINT1. The next two waypoints on the STAR, let’s call them POINT2 and POINT3, do not have any speed restrictions, but the waypoint after these (POINT4) has a further speed restriction of 170kts. The magenta D point, where the aircraft goes automatically into Approach mode is after POINT4. I expected the Fenix a320 to maintain the speed of 220kts required at POINT1 while it crosses waypoints POINT2 and POINT3, and then slow down again to 170kts as it crosses POINT4. What in fact happens, and this has been repeated numerous times, is that a little way after crossing POINT1 at 220kts, the magenta speed bug on the speed tape jumps back up to 250kts and the aircraft starts accelerating again…. As I already had flaps 1 out at the 220kts speed, this of course leads to over-speed warnings and majorly mucks up the speed management for the approach……
Is this normal behaviour??? or should the plane maintain the previous speed restriction for the rest of the managed descent until it meets either an additional speed restriction or shifts to approach mode – which is what I expected. Any advice, or the experiences of more knowledgeable people would be appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

This problem is listed as solved. What is the solution? At about 160kts the Fenix A320 won’t slow down and the stall bar/minimum speeds bar rises to aprox. 200 kts. After that I receive several ‘speed speed speed’ callouts and the autopilot disengages. The aircraft is then completely unflyable. This happens often.

There is a check mark next to the solution….

Do you need the solution explained?

Basically it’s operating as it should.

I don’t know what is meant by:

“Probably the ground speed mini function. Only experiencesd this again with high headwinds”

Am I doing something wrong?

it looks like there isn’t enough drag to slow it down? as the engines are at idle and for approach mode it will prioritize the descend path rather than speed. for stall speed it’s weird, could be the probe icing problem having the air speed unreliable, Ground speed at 115 knts and 20knts headwind just don’t add up to 200knts air speed.

Fenix have announced in icing condition current MSFS have a bug where even all heating is up it still got frozen probe and resulting in AP and airspeed being crazy.

I guess the airspeed was stuck and you are actually at a much lower speed, and since the ADI showed you are already at 10 degrees pitch up and 800fpm descend, it’s approaching the stall pitch angle thus the stall bar goes up.

I once have encountered similar situation, I manually go higher thrust to bring my ground speed to something more reasonable, go full flaps and landing gear and fly by eyes, just use GS and glide angle to guestimate the proper airspeed (like, at approach descend fpm the pitch up should be around 3-5 degrees up max), you can see in my video here:

around 27min mark

I submitted a problem report to Fenix. They asked If I had icing turned on in MSFS. I checked, and it’s enabled. I turned it off a long time ago as recommended in the Fenix FAQ. MSFS recently reset all of my preferences. It appears that the icing in MSFS causes this. Thank for your reply.

1 Like

you’re welcome! actually I personally kept the icing at work, just treating it as kind of random failure mode which I have to react and completely handfly the plane, really fun f or me to do so

Had something similar with the FBW A320:
During descent on STAR the ECAM warned that ice was detected. Turned on Anti ice. Rest of the descent was fine until being on the ILS GS several minutes later. The engines spooled up showing something with TOGA. That was when already fully configured for landing. I noticed the stall warning red band going up and because of extended flaps the red band from the top also down so that in the speed band it was completely red.
Then it got stranger. Plane changed to direct law, autopilot off. I initialized a go around. Somehow the speed did a big step and I was passing the runway with more than 400kn IAS. Fitted to the visual appearance, was not only indicated. As it happened within seconds this must have been a bug, I don‘t believe that it‘s possible to accelerate so fast to that speed.
I managed to slow down, get on the missed approached route and was able to calm a little bit down :rofl:
I paused and deactivated the icing because I am sure that this must have been related to that.
The plane remained in direct law and the autopilot did nothing but I was able to land finally.

So the beginning of the issue sounds somehow similar, therefore I guess it‘s not a Fenix/FBW bug but comes from the Flight Simulator itself.