[Tool] Easy way to find the best runway for takeoff or land

Hi all, I created the tool that lets you easily find the active runway for takeoff or landing, using the METAR data. Just enter airport ICAO and get results.
Maybe someone will be interested :slight_smile:

Link to the tool: https://runway.airportdb.io/

16 Likes

Very nice tool! Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks Mate, just saved it to desktop.

1 Like

Thanks Very nice tool! :grinning:

1 Like

This is great! thank you very much!

1 Like

I’ve been looking for something like this for a while.
Excellent! Thanks!

1 Like

This is a great tool - thank you!

1 Like

Very nice. But…

Check the code you’re using to list the runway length. KALB 01/19 runway is 8500 feet, not 7200 feet. Only the 10/28 runways are 7200 feet.

Also, you should list the magnetic heading. I.e., runway 01 is 11.5 degrees, not what you show

I don’t know if this applies to all all airports. I’m assuming they do. Otherwise, great job.

1 Like

Usually the runway in use for your take off is assigned by ATC and included in your IFR clearance.
Sometimes for many reasons that RWY may be different of he expected RWY ( TFC, local restriction, noise etc…)

1 Like

This is a really cool and handy tool… I think the SDK allows us to create an in-game panel that can point to this web page, then we can use this tool inside the sim.

Yeah, and this tool will help us to choose the right SIDs from the right departing runway to be added into our flight plan. The default ATC will just take our flight plan and clear us for that runway anyway.

1 Like

Yes you are right for …MSFS

1 Like

Very nice and useful tool. Thank you!

1 Like

Not to take away from the time and effort to create the tool, but…

I must agree with Coleo91. At larger Airports wind direction and speed are almost secondary to runway use. Example:

At Denver International, Runway usage is determined by whether it it an arrival rush, or departure rush. If an arrival rush, is it from the east or west. etc, etc.

At a lot of larger metroplexes, the runways are determined by the “Big Dog” airports. Example DFW can determine the runways in use for Dallas Love.

As always, YMMV, but in Air Traffic (US) that is how it went at the larger airports.

1 Like

Agreed. If your at a towered airport, you need to use the runway provided by ATC. But there are a lot of MSFS pilots who fly out of non-towered airports. It seems this app is aimed more at them.

1 Like

This is really nice, thanks for the tool. A really nice quick reference guide, especially if you are at an un-towered airport. have bookmarked the page :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess my input was based on the example of JFK which the author of the app/post used. Again, YMMV and NO disrespect for the time and energy used to create/promote the app.

I definitely could see the use at uncontrolled or very small airports.

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile: Saved as bookmark!

1 Like

That is under the assumption that the default MSFS ATC is flawless and always correct… Sadly that is not the case, that’s why we need this tool to “correct” their mistakes.

2 Likes

One of the most important aspects of this and that probably many will miss is the following:

1543a88fc50708a5db3d9f4365c67f0d817c7269

So the thread title might just mislead some. Just my ten cents. :kissing_heart:

1 Like