Tool For Better Trouble/Symptom Reporting

Now I know I can’t be the first to have thought of this but I couldn’t find it anywhere in the group area…

Is there a way to have a hot key that generates a report when a user is experiencing a problem/symptom? The report would indicate PC hardware/software, sim settings including aircraft type, GPS location, altitude, speed, etc and maybe contents of their Community Folder.

I believe that would help in the ability to duplicate issues towards a quicker resolution.

I’m sure this would require an MS app that would have to be installed on the users machine. (Just a non-dev person thinking out loud).

Is this an old idea that isn’t worthwhile?

1 Like

Hi @BlueSkyPilot416

Quite a few people have made this suggestion, and it is a simple, good idea that would make bug reporting easier. Try searching through #self-service:wishlist to see if you find a topic on this that you can vote for.

Hi, I looked through there using a few different searches and couldn’t find a thing.

There are definitely topics, I remember seeing them. Let me do a search and get back to you :slight_smile:

Ok, thanks…my eyes are bleeding. Lol

1 Like

Here are a few topics providing feedback on how Bug Reporting could be improved. I know there is a better topic out there somewhere, but I do not have time to look for it now. The first one will probably be of most interest to you:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/318999

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/125852

1 Like

Thanks, I should have used “bug” and not “trouble” and “troubleshoot”.

I saw some other good ideas I voted for that I never thought of and a pretty funny one I won’t mention in case they were serious. Lol

Thanks again!

There is a topic floating around somewhere that discusses an in-simulator reporting tool that I would like to see. It talked about an easy to trigger mechanism to send user data like a description and steps to reproduce, as well as images, and logs and various sim state data.

I would go looking for it, but I am heading off. If anyone can find that, please link it here and ping me.

Best of luck

I made a suggestion earlier today that they should be requesting hardware info like CPU, GPU, RAM, driver versions and diagnostic files like DXDiag when someone submits a Zendesk ticket.

From what I can see, no hardware info is requested at all. I’d think that info would be valuable to have, especially when trying to troubleshoot performance problems.

Especially if all of that info (PC and Sim) was captured by use of a hot key while experiencing the symptom/trouble.

Oh, this topic does not bode well for my ability to get to the optometrist on time…

The problem with adding more fields to the current bug reporting tool is you turn people off. At last count, the number of inputs for a bug is somewhere in the range of 15-19, and many of those answers don’t change from BR to BR, or aren’t relevant (for example aircraft when reporting a download bug).

If they add more inputs to the forum, they really need to take others out. Otherwise, people won’t report bugs, or they will cotton on to other tricks (that I won’t mention for ~reasons~).

Now if a bespoke solution was built, you can get around this. For example, an integrated reporting tool could capture hardware info (components & usage), as well as sim state (weather, aircraft, position, settings, etc) and attach it to bug reports without the user having to do anything. Alternatively, if a bespoke web platform was made available to us, they could provide the ability to upload a dxdiag, which could be automatically attached to all BRs until updated.

Anyway, I’m out the door. See you all later.

That would be a grand slam! If only I had the developer talent.

Back to sanding my square wooden wheels into octagons!
:grinning::grinning::grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.