Top Gun: Maverick carrier arresting cables no longer stop aircraft

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

No extra information

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

Using the activity carrier recovery, when applying power upon touchdown the aircraft does not stop before flying or rolling off the carrier, even when trapped by the wires. It is mandatory to apply power upon touchdown IRL and in this activity (docked points if not done) in case of missing the wires so a bolter can be flown safely, but in MSFS the wires do not stop the aircraft.

I have been having the same problem after the update. Arresting wires seem to catch but do not stop the F-18. No plane or carrier add-ons

I have the same issue. I approach the deck with the F-18 on speed (correct angle of attack), right on the centerline and on glideslope, but the aircraft does not stop unless I am at 0% throttle and slam on the parking brake. Even then, half of the time I still fall off the deck because the aircraft does not decelerate.

The same thing happens even if I am low, which means I should definitely catch the 1st wire, and should have the longest possible runway to decelerate.

The expected behavior when you catch a wire, is for the aircraft to come to a complete stop, even if you catch the last (4th wire), even at higher than the normal approach speed, even if you apply the MIL power, and don’t step on the brakes.

I suspect that the problem is that the tailhook contact point is too high, or the wires are too loose, or both.

So I think the problem has an easy fix. You have to increase the cable_force_adjust setting in the Asobo FA-18 systems.cfg file from 0.25 to a higher value, e.g. 0.75:

[TailHook]
has_tailhook = 1
cable_force_adjust = 0.75

The file is located in:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\asobo-aircraft-fa18e\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_FA18E

The cable_force_adjust setting controls the tension of the arresting cables. Note that if you make it too strong, the jet may come to a very abrupt stop, and its nose can hit the deck.

Here is a landing video where I use cable_force_adjust = 0.75, and apply MIL power and no brake, and the aircraft stops where it should after catching the 3rd wire.

UPDATE (2023/01/06): I did some additional tests, and found out that the minimum safe value for cable_force_adjust is 0.5. I tested this setting at maximum aircraft weight, higher landing speed, catching the last (4th) wire and applying full afterburner, and the aircraft stops just at the end of the runway (but does not fall). So for me personally, I will set this to 0.6, rather than the 0.75 I suggested earlier, to ensure a smoother deceleration and to stop closer to where the jet stops on the real aircraft carrier.

4 Likes

This fixed it! I had been searching for a config setting like this. Note that for anyone using Windows store version instead of Steam, the file is located here: C:\Users%userprofile\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\Asobo-aircraft-fa18e\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_FA18E

I have this same issue with the plane running off the deck on a perfect approach and trap. I tried this setting, even set it to 10.0 but the FA18 is still running off the deck unless I hit the brakes. Anyone else have this issue?

1 Like

Well, I figured it out. My primary MSFS install is on a different drive, After editing that systems.cfg file it works fine. I have a package file on my C: drive leftover I believe from the original install and I later installed to a larger F: drive. Have to figure out whether I can delete the package on the C:drive. It has its own set of Asobo files. So the solution worked.

I have had this same issue/bug for many months now.

Sure would be nice if they’d at least acknowledge it. MSFS remains uninstalled on my Xbox until there’s a fix.

Yes

it happens on a clean install on my xbox. I cant change any config files there. I also have no mods installed.

2 Likes

Yes

The solution doesnt work on Xbox because you can’t change game code on Xbox.

1 Like

Closed as fixed in Sim Update 13: Release Notes - Sim Update 13 [1.34.16.0] Available Now