Top of the line, end of the line

Deleted. December 2/2020

2 Likes

Sorry it was frustrating for you. I snagged a 3090 for my new build at the tail end of 2020. I thought it was actually a lot of fun watching the stock checking live streams and then racing to try to snag a part. Exciting hearing the audio chimes when something came in, exhilarating when you could get it in the cart. I got everything at MSRP, and I think the 5900x CPU was the hardest part to get.

The build was super fun too, waiting for parts to arrive, watching old episodes of The Computer Chronicles from the '80s and '90s as I was putting stuff together. My next build will probably be way more boring I imagine, and it’s going to be quite awhile I think. With the framerate locked at 60 in most situations I don’t have any incentive to upgrade.

3 Likes

I heard rumors that Nvidia is holding stock back in order to keep their overly inflated prices high, despite the crypto market crash and the supply chain ship starting to right itself. Any merit to this? Makes me wish AMD was a much more serious GPU competitor, but Nvidia knows they can get away with it because they have the best stuff.

By buying from a scalper, you are in fact part of the problem. People buying from them keeps them in business.
Easiest way to stop scalpers, is not buying from them.

Sorry to hear you’ve had a bad time.

6 Likes

That’s the rumours. nVidia made a LOT of these cards, as they expected a large windfall with crypto like they got with the 3000 series and selling them for top dollar. They weren’t planning on the crypto market crashing just shortly before they launched the 4090. So in order to be able to maintain that high price and meet their profit projections, they’re holding back stock to create artificial scarcity.

Whether this is true or not, I can’t say for sure. No one outside of those circles knows for sue. But I wouldn’t put it past them. However, if this is the case, they’ll likely do a rare price readjustment (downwards) once AMD launch their wares that are within spitting distance of performance for 1/2 the price.

well put. .

It’s not so much the cards they made but the amount of chips they ordered they tried to halve to contract but the fab laughed.

1 Like

Not sure I understand if you are complaining about something :slight_smile:

1 Like

jesus. 10 grand? That’s a little much…

2 Likes

Yeah, 10 grand… That’s like 1/2 the cost of a real life PPL.

My i9-9900K with Intel A770 16 GB GPU flies smooth at
4K Ultra, DX12, TAA. (A770 at $349.00 USD)
Graphics are great.

Yup. That’s more accurate. They have more chips than they can sell, but they’re only letting them trickle to their board partners in order to keep supply short so they can keep prices artificially high.

1 Like

For 10 percent of that I feel like I am having a more enjoyable time. Then again, maybe it’s the AMD side of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If you were watching The Computer Chronicles, I hope you able to see Janelle Stelson :wink::wink:

Well… I don’t know what to say to that. Perhaps this: what you did is like saying "We need to put out the fire! " while pouring some gasoline into the flames. There is one thing in the market that is worse than scalpers: people who buy from them.

Ten grand on a computer… Wow! I’m a PC user since 1994 and I haven’t spent ten grand on all my systems that I had since then combined. And that’s already taking the one I’m using right now into account.

1 Like

Gotta love the 9900k, every CPU since has been like some really sweet SUV’s but 9900k owners are all yeah I have an SUV, it’s a little older …

2 Likes

First I get the pain, but ultimately you “choose” to buy from those people. I would not pay 10,000 CDN/USD for a PC for nothing. I am balking at 4,000 for one, and hopefully my little 17" gamer laptop can hang in there for another 6 months. I firmly believe prices are going to have to come down, and in fact according to couple sources, AMD has reduced prices on some of it’s stuff (not amd fan), which will cause other things to be competitive. I will take time to price out parts/pieces before I buy mine, but not sure it’s worth all the trouble, as I would then have to be own agent in warranty issues, and not manufacturer, who then is my agent. I have vendor in mind, but also think Jan-Las Vegas-CES, and a whole bunch of stuff will shake out.
FWIW-Over last 14 months watching Samsung Neo G9 49" monitor price, started in the 2399 range, now on sale at 1499 plus tax, free shipping, it should be here on 15th. They would not also honor my birthday coupon but may buy 980X 4 TB stick and see how much money can be saved, and I can put that in an enclosure and have swift SSD as backup medium for this box. Think my WD 8TB drive is getting flakey, and do not want to loose data again. Glad I back up to three devices.

Oh, guess should add, if had that kind of money, would have purchased high end server PC, as it would really kick XZXLKJ. But the Harley, beer, and maybe SUV would also be good idea as well, I would go for the beer, Shiner Bach, out of Texas. Great Stuff.

1 Like

I play on like a $1k PC @ high settings and get 40-60fps. It amazes me how much people will spend on this game. I haven’t even thought about upgrading. It all runs great and looks great. Sometimes I throw it on Ultra to see what I’m missing and I can barely tell the difference :man_shrugging:

I just fly and have fun. Stop looking at your fps counter people.

I recall a few years ago watching a video where they tried to make the most expensive PC build possible and I don’t know if they were able to to cross the 10K USD mark. But that’s before the crypto shortages.

If the monitor is factored in at 4K that doesn’t seem as bad. Although you could get a very nice VR headset for half that.

Awesome system :wink:

But the good thing is, expect it to last quite a few years. It’s not like the bad old days before chips hit the limit of pre-quantum performance and you really did need to buy a new rig every couple years. But that wall was hit quite a while back now and since then, computers have been going sideways (more parallel processing) with only minute advances in the actual guts of the chips. I bought my current rig going on 3 years ago and it wasn’t QUITE top-of-the-line even then (didn’t go for the RTX2080Ti but with the Super because I have no interest in VR), but still pretty awesome. And it’s still pretty awesome today. And I only replaced my 6-8-yr-old Win7 machine because MS stopped supporting Win7, NOT because even that machine was showing its age after all that time.

So my point is, you should be set for a decade or so, unless quantum computing suddenly appears as a mass consumer product :wink: