Training with NDB and ILS MSFS 2020 on Xbox serie X

I am writing this post because I’m new with in airplane simulation and I really don’t know where to start in this forum.

In training mode, I use Turtle beach Velocity One Flight yoke with Xbox serie X console.

My main issue is located with the NDB and ILS exercices. For the NDB exercice, the blue bearing needle is not always present on the HSI. For the ILS section, It is more difficult because the CDI is always perpendicular to the runway.

I know some posts are talking about these issues and the updates are supposed to have fix them but actually (2023-09-10) those issues are still active for my case. The flight deck seem to be Garmin G1000.

Any clues to help me?

Thanks for support

For the NDB, if the blue line isn’t showing, click on the “PFD opt” softkey

Then click on the “bearing 1” or “bearing 2” softkey a couple of times, or until it displays “ADF” (with the freq next to it), and the blue line will show up. The only real difference between bearing 1 and 2 is the arrow is slightly different, but they’re the same functionally. The bearing softkey will cycle through Nav 1/Nav 2/ADF/GPS so you can just keep pushing it if you miss the one you want.

Regards

1 Like

you make my day !!! Know I understand what I didn’t know. I didn’t know that I can use these soft keys. The instructor didn’t tell me that :smile:
The VOR exercise is ok for me. This exercise wasn’t an issue for me. Thanks

The other issue was rather the ILS exercise. I don’t understand why the VOR and the CDI keep perpendicular to the runway (even with the CDI centered) when approching the runway.

I thougt that the complete VOR needle will be aligned with the runway but despite of that I can land the airplane correctly.

Good news. I finally understand how the guideslope indicator works after many attemps to do so.

Thanks again for your support. It help me alote to understand.

BTW, how do you take picture of your flight deck? Very usefull for me. Thanks

I forgot to say that I have to make this procedure almost each time I do this NDB exercise. Again, doing the correction will have consequence on my score even if I paused the flight. The instructor continu to talk and wait until I do something to respect the objectives while I correct the situation.

Bad Instructor for not mentioning the softkeys! :grinning:
I’m sorry, I misread your second issue (ILS rather than VOR). I’ll take a look at that lesson and see if we can find the issue. You’re right, the ILS should (in most cases) basically take you to the end of the runway, not perpendicular to it. I’ll see what I can do and post back here.
You’ll also probably get this moved to a more appropriate category. No problem. You will still be able to see it and I’ll still be able to post to it.
Regards
After I thought about it, I remember that lesson going into an airport with an offset ILS, which means it won’t directly align with the runway. I think the instructor even says something about that as you approach the runway, and then you have to adjust your approach manually to actually land on the runway. I’ll run through the lesson, but I do think that’s the issue with it.

Thanks but I don’t know how to move this topic to another category. Sorry for that. A lot of stuff to learn in the past few days I must say.

They’ll move this discussion. You don’t need to do anything. I also just added some information I remembered about the ILS lesson that may be the issue. I can put some information in here for a “normal” ILS that will take you to the end of the runway, as most of them do, if you want to test one.
Regards.

thanks for all

1 Like

Ok, it appears this training plan has issues.
If this is what you’re seeing:

Note: the nav frequency isn’t showing a station identifier like it should, and the LOC indicator isn’t pointing anywhere near where it should be.
You should be seeing this:

Now it has the station identifier next to the nav1 frequency, and the LOC is pointed near the actual runway.
The only way I found to make it work right, is swap the active and standby frequencies twice for Nav 1 (use the left/right arrow I highlighted in the first screenshot. After you put 108.5 back into the active area, it then actually captures the correct ILS, and should work right. If this is occurring all the time, it’s definitely a bug.
Regards

it’s exactly what happen. I will try that after diner. what a challenge for me :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks

1 Like

Hi, I moved your topic to #gd-commsupport:anc for you :slight_smile:

Welcome to Microsoft Flight Simulator and best of luck with the rest of your training!

1 Like

thanks for support

2 Likes

@habu2u2
I confirm the issue. Each time I reload the ILS module, I have to correct NAV 1 and 2 to make it work as it should. I think !!

And the instructor didn’t tell me about those buttons :smile:

And the time I take to correct the NAV have influence on my score :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

They have the right frequency dialed in, it’s just not “catching” the actual ILS frequency when we first start the training session. Definitely a bug, and affects your ability to score well (as you’ve noted) since you have to make those changes, and you can’t use Active Pause. You might want to send in a bug report for this issue.
Regards

oh boy. How ?

At the very top of the screen, click on “support”. On the next page that shows up, at the top of the page, click on “submit a request” and that will get you to an empty box that is a dropdown area. Click in that box and pick one of the options. There are a couple of options that are close, but not really specific to this issue. But whatever you pick, they will sort out where the information needs to go. Once you click on that, it will open a bunch of other things to fill in. Just fill it in, but mostly you’ll need to describe the issue in some of the text boxes.
Easy, Peasy! :rofl: :rofl:
It’s easier to see it than I describe!
Thanks for finding this issue and reporting it.
Enjoy your flight simming!
Regards

The case is now open on the support section. Thanks

1 Like