Tree draw distance in Norway is bugged, right?

this is what I am getting, this has to be a bug, right? All Ultra and maxed out. Am I eating ‘optimization’ for the upcoming console release here or what is this? Tromso airport in Norway if anyone wants to try

3 Likes

I don’t know, looks fine to me, but I play on medium so not sure. Have you confirmed outside of Norway is better?

2 Likes

It’s very poor, from any height the “ring” is obvious and ritually immersion breaking, it blatantly needs addressing, you would’ve thought they’d fix it for this update…but no.

2 Likes

Asobo insist this problem doesn’t exist. The 2nd last Q&A ago started wtih Seb presenting a bunch of screen shots showing how it looked on his end, and of course, it looked normal with trees as far as the eye can see. Us end users, however, are seeing something totally diferent.

7 Likes

You can clearly see the line where the trees cut off because they are darker than the ground. It looks ridiculous. Especially in the mountain slope. This has to be some bug. No way this is 4-5 nautical miles as they claim.

One problem with the way he did it was that he was comparing the same location, which I appreciate sounds like a daft thing to say.

However, anecdotally I would say the most common form of the tree draw distance bug appears to be the latitude related draw distance issue… so him comparing a before and after of two pictures of the same latitude misses the point of that specific complaint.

Really they need to look and compare the tree draw distance near the equator and up at higher latitudes.

Part of me also wonders if perhaps the tree fix they rolled out for SU4 somehow got missed from being rolled into the WU5 branch.

2 Likes

I think what Seb was saying is that draw distance is the same as it was at launch.

Okay… but who cares. That’s not the point. I want the draw distance that we had with the tree mods before Asobo did something that prevented them from working.

Because of these mods, I know it’s possible to get trees as far as the eye can see without impact to FPS… so why not implement that already!

1 Like

I know at launch and until earlier this year (abut the Wu3 timeframe), I could indeed see trees as far as I could see. After that, it became this garbage I see now.

The vegetation draw distance mod restored it for me with zero cost to performance. Once more, trees as far as I could see.

Then came the update which broke the vegetation mod. And here we are.

So perhaps on Asobo’s internal builds running off of private, development content servers, tree draw is the same as at launch. IN the wild though, things are different.

5 Likes

This is in Norway, on a rtx3090, i9 9900k 5.0ghz with 32gb 3200mhz pc…

5 Likes

Perfect video, matches what I see (3090/5800X/32gb 3600 CL16)

aahh so it’s another “what lightning in clear skies bug?” issue all over again, they need to open their eyes and play their own game!

6 Likes

They’re using X-Plane.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Needs resolving as a priority in my opinion

I’ve seen this from the beginning though, especially on mountains… where they get populated with trees the closer you get. I think right after the Japan update. Not sure before that.

Up close the trees are like 2D sprites… even consoles should be capable of drawing them as far as the eye can see.

1 Like

the technique they use for trees is actually quite cool. Sprites that rotate with the camera and even have textures when looked from above. One tree, 4 vertices, done. And they look good too. In terms of clever design, they did a really good job with the trees. Now, if only the draw distance was not bugged.

3 Likes

Ridiculous that we still have to discuss this issue over and over again. I sometimes really wonder if they ever use the same sim as we do, what can be so difficult in solving this issue? Simply re-enable those mods again and dont “fix” it afterwards and we are happy… I will never understand how you can intentionally break a community addon and never fix it.

If you are now telling me it was unintentional… even worse, this would indicate that they do not even really know what their own engine is doing…

3 Likes

Yesterday, Sweden… I look around at ca 2500Ft, I see an island of trees around me, I estimate it is only about 2-3 miles wide. Outside of that region… there are no trees, only green textures. When I fly over this region, I see the edge of the forest travelling forward. I never reach the end of the forest, but on the horizon there is no forest. This is especially nasty when you want to land somewhere…

I took this video with LOD-100

I found terrain LOD does not seem to have any effect on this issue. Below is Terrain LOD-200, as seen from my Cessna, same spot, default zoom

This is LOD-50, find the differences

1 Like

It’s a total disgrace. The graphics have been constantly downgraded since release. It’s not just trees its everything, terrain, textures, buildings, even the clouds are worse. I have no idea why they have done this but it’s made me so angry. I used to get a wow moment every flight I did, just doesn’t happen any more.

4 Likes