Tree draw distance in Norway is bugged, right?

That’s too easy… graphics was enhanced with the GB update, everybody started complain about FpS loss, but same time the tree distance was messed up. After that, before or during the WU Netherlands Belgium France they did look into the trees issue. It was acknowledged and solved, but then came this Nordic Update, tree distance got messed up again !

LOD should solve it… distance should change with terrain-LOD. Level of Detail.

I think this bug deserves a hotfix. IMHO it’s a simple issue: the terrain-LOD slider doesn’t work as intended… Mountain tops have distance issues now… and I found yesterday, LOD settings between 100 and 200 have no influence on the mountains detail issue. While it should have…

The bug topic (there’s a big one !!) was merged by the mod yesterday, to get more votes together…

2 Likes

All tree and lod issues are caused by the reduced size of the world data ‘cells’ as you move to the furthest latitudes.

Even at the highest terrain lod it only draws out to a few cells around your plane, obviously as the cells become smaller your lod range also reduces. This is part of the core sim terrain engine and likely the only way to deal with it is to double or triple your terrain lod setting via config file edit.

Tree distance and lod is much better at the lower latitudes.

So they are very lucky there’s no forest on the North Pole. Imagine the noise… only one tree… traveling with your airplane…

2 Likes

How would you know how their engine works? If you go by Mercator, the cells actually become larger the closer to the poles

the 1 tree bug, still there in 10 years. Never got solved…not enough votes from community (and not enough testing by MS anyways)

1 Like

I don’t think the tree distance is latitude related, it is a rule… on a distance x miles (currently I estimate 2 miles) the trees are replaced by texture… 1) see below the Amazon and 2) when I put in a good terrain DEM (2m detail) for Norway, mountains improve a bit, but the trees distance does not change, when it would be your “world data cells” a better terrain DEM with smaller cells should improve things…

In the Amazon, I see about the same circle around my aircraft, where trees are. Outside that circle… nothing, only texture. These rainforest trees are really huge. Below landscape does not exist.

15 Likes

Yeah nice joke… the thing has 16GB RAM and they’re promising 30 frames on 4K. Well as long as they leave the High and Ultra settings options in, I’d have no issue with that. But now the higher LOD settings have no effect at all on this… I want my LOD 200 back for the screenshot, ref wishlist topic

1 Like

One word Xbox

Just did a flight to Boston from the Cape, Boston loaded horribly late.

KBOS lit up like a tree and all but no skyline to the point I delete cache and flew on more before it started.

2 Likes

Yeah, the Boston photogrammetry (and new england) is horribly unoptimized. low fps, popping in, cracks, etc.

1 Like

I read this on fsdeveloper.com

Im paraphrasing of course based on my limited understanding of these things. I’m no dev after all.

I believe bijan of seasons mod fame also did some tests which proved this.

But if you want to keep believing in the secret downgrade conspiracy theory, go for it…

This is merely a limitation of the system and probably some holdover from fsx. They may fix it when su5 rolls around with dx12, they may not have a solution. Only thing we can do is wait and see.

Or complain endlessly into the ether of course… I’m sure we could do with another one of these threads every update.

There is no north pole, so no problem (no terrain nor water above/below 85 degrees). However at Alert, NU the game draws trees / shrubberies, 82.5 degrees North

And that’s terrain at 200

It’s everything, from the runway you can’t see the town either

I don’t know how their engine works, but if it’s mercator based (which is seems it is) cells should be getting more narrow towards the poles, but keep the same length. It looks like the ‘cells’ shrink in all directions until they vanish from 85 degrees.

I’ve learned to tune out the horizon :upside_down_face: nothing to see there, literally.

Haha. Yes they do. I don’t think they are Interested in the flying. They seem to be more interested in the pretty planet and slowly making it less and less detailed so it will run on the series x. They apperently just announced some arcade mode for the series x where you can land anywhere even on water with a landing gear. WTF are they thinking? It’s a simulation not NEED FOR SPEED.

I don’t like these untested Updates they force us to install. Here’s the Nordics update in Finland which is now ruined and ugly. No official fix is expected ever as we have learned from Asobo. Take off from EFTP and fly heading 150 and climb to FL200 where it really starts to go ugly. Those darker tiles keep appearing and disappearing showing previous Bing imagery as you keep flying towards EFHK.

Other bug is the Gaya’s Vaasa Airport, EFVA. Stand/ramp numbers are all wrong, I made a report about it but will see if they release an update.

I do not think this is holding as a proof that the game has 1) smaller tiles towards the poles and 2) draw distance is affected by this. You linked me to the main page of another forum for evidence…

Any flat area (look at Eastern England) is the same. As it’s at a lower latitude it’s marginally better but the poor visuals outside the ‘ring of detail’ is entirely the same.

This needs fixing ASAP.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong, but they were mostly comparing trees between release version and the latest version. Not convinced it didn’t change, at least the tree distance mods worked in the first couple of months.

They also said they’re planning to give us an additional slider with the option to increase the tree draw distance in a future release.

You’re joking, right?

1 Like

no

1 Like