Tree height mods and comparisons

For the most part I’ve been happy with the default trees even tho I know they’re often too tall. I’m just wondering if anyone has done a good comparison between options? I have Rex AccuSeason which has an option for shorter trees. There’s a lot of free options on Flightsim2. There’s now an option for $5 or so in the Marketplace.

Anyone have thoughts on the best of any of these options before I spend a lot of time restarting my FS over and over trying for myself?

Hi,

Do you have a link to Flightsim2 ?

I only know the Flightsim.to website.

Thank you!

For me, small, irregular and seasonally changing trees with Rex Accuseason really improved the scenery.

2 Likes

For XBOX, the tree mod $5 one in marketplace is fantastic. Doesn’t change the trees much in looks but it pretty much moves the LOD of trees out beyond normal visual range, I firmly believe even the buildings got moved way out. Big boost in visual quality. You’ll loose Bijan’s seasons. But say at Barth, every single building and tree is in view at all times. Typically can’t see out to where you can’t see trees in most places, close islands, multiple mountains, etc. The default ones must really be choking down the system.

It doesn’t ‘correct’ any locations though. So at some airports where Bijan had personally cleaned up where trees were, you get them back where Asobo put them. I’ll have to uninstall it to see if 15 did anything with trees, but I doubt it. Before in 14 without the mod you could definitely see empty ground not that far ahead. And I seem to be able to see buildings and scenery from sometimes obscene distances, it must reduce the workload substantially and open up the LOD quite a bit. Was flying in DC tonight and I think every building in the city was in view with PG, even flipping to an external rear view behind me KDCA and all it’s buildings/trees were still right there, no wait(I was trying to get a CTD/black screen in the area while doing it).

Was also flying through royal national park last night en route to Sydney in the WACO at ~3k and pretty sure there wasn’t a single place I couldn’t see trees, and biplanes/bubble canopies used to be quite bad about scenery LOD in 13/14. And you could see Sydney skyline WAY out in the distance.

1 Like

Since you already have REX Accuseason installed, you really don’t need to wonder. Just select the smaller tree size in the REX configurator and you will be good to go, no need to install/buy any other tree size mod.

3 Likes

That is a mod that really needs to come to xbox.

Perhaps I am in the minority with my opinion but I believe that a simulator that simulates trees should simulate them properly without the need for addons.

$0.02

1 Like

Here’s the scoop after much testing with the aerosphere one:

Not only do the trees reduce in size, the LOD is greatly increased, including landmarks like monument valley and add on city packs like NYC or Sydney. No waiting for the detailed landmark to ‘clear up’. At a guess I would say triple the normal XBSX bubble.

In places more scarce like islands, mountains, bush flying, etc it is an incredible difference, especially for bush flying. Really dolls up landing in some clear area on a random texture.

However in big cities it will crush the Xbox, especially with add ons. Without live traffic you can push it into cities like San Diego, Vegas, or Sydney. With live traffic you’ll feel the pain a bit, and get crash issues if the traffic is high. NYC, not a chance. Definitely not for tubing from one major airport to another.

It’s a tiny mod, so I install it for bush/outback/islands. Take it off and let the game manage LOD for anything cities or commercial airport duty. Or put Bijan’s back on. Su15 has a ton of traffic right now so I don’t run any tree mid if using any major airport to monitor the load traffic is having on fps.

However, after much time trying to get beta to break, the default trees size and lod modeling hold a big key to improving performance. Asobo should spend some serious time working on their own trees. And still not sure why the default ones are still so comically large.

But if you’re doing an official Asobo bush flight, this cheap crude mod is a hero. You can see for miles and miles and miles and miles … Bijan’s is still the Xbox winner for seasonal trees and still managed by Xbox LOD.

2 Likes

Are you saying that tree draw distance is increased with this mod? If so, I’m really curious how the author managed to accomplish this.

It’s definitely something that usurped the typical managed ‘bubble’ of LOD, including buildings and objects. It’s a tiny file too. It works great provided it’s not TOO intensive an area with hand-drawn items. It’s actually an excellent mod if you mange when you use it. mountains no longer look like they have bowl-cut caps of trees on them. On XBSX 120HZ this is probably pulling 60FPS. For once, it actually looks like the ‘picture on the box’ that you get when loading a flight.

In desert areas with less trees it pulls in hand drawn items, like monument valley from WAY further out versus the typical experience of having to fly illegally close just to get it to flesh out. About half of the default POI’s need their LOD’s tweaked, you’d have to sit down with the FAA after your flight if you try to look at most of them.

The default tress are twice life size and not optimized well for distance, if they fixed the idiotic sizes of them and had managed detail at distance, they could get twice as many in for the same hit. Still not sure why the old default trees are still as they are. Airports lined with 90’ oaks everywhere, many smaller airports with them parked near the threshold, sometimes you can’t hold a proper approach because of mammoth trees. Currently it just sucks resources and doesn’t even look good, still have NYC looking like I Am Legend, MUTANT BROCCOLI edition.

I’ll have to take pics native vs tree mod. Devil’s tower default unless you’re within 1/2 mile looks like a potato, with the tree mod I want to start making models of it in my living room.

1 Like

My suggestion is simple. Download the one on Flightsim.to. Look at the files in the folder of that mod. One of those files has changed (it has altered numerical value numbers which set minimum and maximal tree height). What MSFS always does is generate each and every tree with a random height between those min and max numbers).

You will notice that the modded file has reduced the numbers, both min and max by about 1/3. Now just use windows notepad to reduce ALL the min AND max height numbers by another 1/3. You have now created your own mod that reduces tree height a whole lot more than the original mod. You can now download the mod again from flightsim.to (so that you can use it instead).

Now use either the mod you just made (large reduction in tree height) or the mod you downloaded (small reduction in tree height). Or put neither in community and use the Asobo gigantic trees.

I did the above procedure years ago when the tree height mod first came out. And have been using my very very small tree height mod instead of the official mod ever since. For instance the Italian world update had nice well groomed trees instead of a congested city full of giant trees.

Hint: fly the drone down the street on which you live (get the coordinates from google maps for your residence and paste them in the search box on the MSFS world map page). Make the trees look to be at the correct height as your drone flies along the block where you live by using smaller and smaller tree height value numbers in that one file which controls all the trees in MSFS).

1 Like