Trim & Crosswind Handling

Hi guys, I’m trying to learn how to handle crosswind landings and have been reading up on this subject and also about trim. I still have some gaps in understanding and hope someone can help me out.

I understand there are 3 types of trim: elevator trim (for pitch), aileron trim (for roll) and rudder trim (for yaw). I also understand of the 3, elevator trim is found on most (if not all types of aircraft), but not aileron trim and rudder trim. Off the top of your head, can anyone tell me which GA planes have got either or both of them (ie. aileron trim and/or rudder trim)?

Secondly, if the GA plane I’m flying does not have aileron trim and/or rudder trim, but I wish to handle a crosswind during final approach and landing using the wing-low/sideslip method by deploying both aileron and rudder, and if I’m using the basic Xbox Controller, does that mean I need to keep holding (throughout the procedure) :

(1) the left stick of the Controller left/right — to maintain the desired aileron deflection to correct for drift, AND

(2) the (left/right) trigger of the Controller — to maintain the desired opposite rudder deflection for keeping the plane’s nose pointing at the runway heading?

Is this the correct way of doing it?

TIA

Trim is used to keep the airplane at a particular pitch attitude (or speed) and to keep the wings level under normal conditions. Trim isn’t used on crosswind landings to counter the effects of the wind because the wind can change especially in gusty conditions.

Use aileron to lower the wing into the wind and rudder to keep the length of the airplane parallel to the centerline. If the wind is from the right: use aileron to the right (right wing down) to keep the airplane from drifting left and then use left rudder to keep the nose parallel to the centerline.

Here is a video I made about a year ago covering crosswind landings: How To Master Crosswind Landings - YouTube

3 Likes