Triple Monitor and NVIDIA 30 Series GPU Performance

Any of you guys with a 30 series GPU running triple monitors with NVIDIA Surround? I’m running 7680x1440 and getting near 30 FPS except for in large cities or custom/busy airports where my FPS is getting crushed into the low teens. Wondering what kind of gains I might see by updating from 2070s to 3080/90. I can tolerate stretch on side monitors but need FPS and don’t want to crank render scaling down because it blurs the A320N cockpit. Since I’m constantly GPU limited, seems like a GPU upgrade would help pushing all these pixels. If you’re running triples with a 30 series, what FPS are you getting? Any feedback appreciated.

1 Like

I’m running 3 x 4K monitors with an RTX 3090 and typically get 25-35fps over a flight. That may not seem great for a 3090 but I am running at 4K.
If you upgrade your GPU you will see an improvement but it may not be a big one dependant on your CPU. I’ve seen many posts from people who’ve upgraded and gone from GPU bound to CPU bound (limited by main thread).
To be honest you don’t need more than 30fps for a flight sim as long as it’s video is smooth and stutter free.

A smooth and stutter free 25-35 is all I need. I’m curious how much of your GPU’s memory is being used. All 8 GB are in use 100% of the time on my 2070s. I turned Surround off for the first time yesterday and ran a flight from KIAD to KATL on my center monitor only and the results were interesting. Losing peripheral vision in the A32NX cockpit was horrible because it restricted access to buttons I can normally reach without moving the camera and using in game menus blocked too much off the screen, so that’s a no go for me. But what surprised me is that while I was getting 50+ FPS using an exterior view, I got low 20’s in the cockpit view the entire flight when I usually get mid 20s to near 30 when using Surround and all 3 monitors. At both airports I still got <20 in cockpit. The single monitor trade off isn’t worth it for me. I have an i7-9700 with headroom now but expect I’d be CPU limited with an upgraded GPU. Just trying to sort out if throwing money at this problem will get me to a stable 25-30 or if I just need to wait for better optimization. Sounds like you’ve found the sweet spot. Thanks for the feedback!

I spend a weekend with the 3 monitor thing, using Nvida surround. 6 feet of monitor. Problem was the bezels, along with very low FPS. What I do now, for what it is worth, I use 2 monitors, in WINDOWED mode. Then I stretch so the A320, Cessna 152 or lear jet has the A pillar along the bezel. I also see that sacrificing FPS and quality for the 3rd monitor was not worth it, as I was not looking over there to much.

Yeah, the bezels and side monitor stretch are less than ideal but I like being able to reach the altitude and V/S knobs in the A320 from the standard pilot view without moving the camera around and can’t do that on a single monitor. I’ll try the windowed stretch though and see if I find any gains there. Thanks

For more info, here is a pic of my two screens, you can see where the bezel is. This is the cockpit view default, so it is always bezel in the A pillar. It jsut happens that when I turn to look left, the bezel is on another pillar. Lucky! I run at 1920 x 1080 and in MSFS settings have it set as that in “windowed” mode. Then I use a black background, no desktop, auto hide task bar. When I fly cessna, I close the window a bit to get the pillar back in the bezel

Yeah, your screen alignment looks pretty good. This is mine with the uneven bezel alignment. I think my eyes have adjusted to not even notice it anymore. I do love the additional room on the outer edges for menus.

■■■■ that looks nice! Yea, when I was setting up the 3, what I did like was the middle monitor centers on the runway. The dual I use, I have to sit off center as the center view in 30% from the left. I agree, the bezels was not my #1 reason to abandon 3, it was the drop in frame rates. However, I did not try windowed mode with three monitors, perhaps I will.

I play my 3 monitor in a resolution of 1440p x3 using nvidia 970 and it dos 18 to 25 fps inside and outside coppit stabel in rural and not to big cities ,settings at medium and low is curious that if I switch to only one monitor settings medium and hi it does 30 to 35 but not as smooth

Some are using reflective tape where the bezels come together and it makes it look continuous.

Hi Tufty,
What configuration have you defined in FS graphics settings menu to keep 35 FPS with 3 monitors running in 4K with the RTX3090 ? I’m trying to optimize mine… Thanks!