True Multi Monitor Support in MSFS 2024?

Just curious if there has been any word of this for the upcoming release?

And any night lighting improvements?

These two are long overdue.

On the developer live stream the other day someone asked about the experimental multi-monitor feature and any possible improvements, and they indicated that they believe multimonitor is ā€œdoneā€/complete and they plan to graduate it out of ā€œexperimentalā€. They did not indicate whether they are aware that people think itā€™s missing major important feature sets or indicate whether any work would be made on them, but I assume not.

1 Like

Thanks for that info. Iā€™m still amazed that their MM support is so basic, given so many users have multiple monitors! It is well done in X-Plane. canā€™t be THAT hard to improve itā€¦

2 Likes

Hugely disappointing if they think the current state is ā€˜doneā€™, but then there was a never a clear definition of done to the work, there were so many competing visions of what was needed and Asobo delivered a barely minimum viable feature.

Time for a new wishlist item to explicitly ask them to extend the current support in the right ways, I guess. But unless we could get lots of people to vote for that, chances of it ever happening are slim at best.

4 Likes

Count me in! Iā€™d love it if they improved it

1 Like

Iā€™ll wait until 2024 is released before doing it.

1 Like

It is definitely not ā€œdoneā€ unless they fixed something in 2024 that we donā€™t know about yet.

A few examples for me. Iā€™m running 3 TVs (4K) as external monitors for front & L/R views. I do run the side monitors in 2K though for performance reasons.

• In the ā€œexperimentalā€ section, I get monitor 1, monitor 2, monitor 2, monitor 3, and monitor 3.
  • Lining things up is a bear. Windows knows where the monitors are (I can drag them around) - why canā€™t MSFS use this info? I donā€™t need to try to get it tilted, angled, and scaled by dragging bars around.
  • Sometimes I will lose monitors 2 & 3, or have to close / reopen them.

I have the same issues (3 x 42" 4k TVā€™s) The implementation is crude and only happened after two years of yelling by everyone who had MMā€™s.

These guys are super smartā€¦ but not providing a great multi monitor solution is baffling. Err hello, it is a Flight Simulator and cockpits have left and right views??

1 Like

Agreed - Its far from complete. The current level of multi monitor support is the absolute minimum. Getting cockpits to line up in a triple monitor setup is horrible difficult and since you cannot zoom each monitor independently always looks somewhat distored in my view.

2 Likes

But if we want more we have to let them know, with as many of us as we can find, and define what it is, exactly, that we want. Iā€™ve seen two or three attempts at this on this forum without very many of us joining in. So it seems natural that Asobo perceives these attempts as a few of us wanting something that is not very important.

1 Like

True - There probably arenā€™t many of us running multi monitors in the big scheme of things. Perhaps once 2024 is out we can create it as a wish list item as @FlyerOneZero has mentioned.

1 Like

Yes we need to make more noiseā€¦ I think thereā€™s lots of MM users out there, cockpit builders, dual monitor setups etc. Why anyone would fly with a single monitor is beyond meā€¦and If X-Plane can do it why not MSFS!

1 Like

Throwing my ā€œvoteā€ in for better MM support. Seems like a great opportunity to develop some really innovative tools. With the increase in cockpit builders and wide screens being more affordable, this should be a standard feature.

Going against the grain - I donā€™t like the way Xplane does it. Itā€™s convoluted and most settings the general user will never expose a need to so it just over complicates what should be a fairly easy endevour. I just wish I had a ā€œreal time alignā€ where I could see all three monitors, each monitor I could basically just visually line it all up. It would beat the put in a numer move the view around, play with the zoom, try and different number - rinse and repeat.

The only two real current ā€œissuesā€ I have is it it listing the monitors multiple times in the experimental page and it not always putting the screens back where they were set when changing states of a flight. One you donā€™t see unless looking - I have to question if thereā€™s a performance hit or something due to it though, and the second takes 5 seconds with some quick alt-tab, alt-windows work, to get it back in place.

1 Like

Good point about just ā€œvisually lining up the monitorsā€ - I would love that feature.

Iā€™d be happy with a simple UI that handles uncomplicated configurations, and then a way to hand-edit the config files so you can do whatever you want within the boundaries of whatā€™s possible. P3D more or less does this with its Viewgroups.

The problem is that the sim would need to support much more complicated use-cases. I get that many people who use multi-monitor have the ā€˜3-screens-at-45-degreesā€™ setup that the experimental support was obviously designed for. But others have more complex use cases. A blended multi-projector cylindrical screen setup is very hard to do as it stands, whereas P3D provides Viewgroup support that can be used (with additional software) to do this seamlessly. If the developers designed for openness, extensibility and configurability, it would be better. Instead, they design to a single use case and then call it done.

Itā€™s a developer mindset thing.

1 Like

I think there is not a good relation of the angle of the monitor, physically, to how the data on the screen reacts to changing the angle setting. It shouldnā€™t make a gigantic difference how the data is displayed if my side monitors are 90 degrees angled from my front screen, or 85, or 80 degrees angled. Where one stops should be where the next one starts. If thereā€™s a window support, it should flow from the main screen to the next. The game needs to be smarter than that.

The angles make a significant difference, and it should be smart enough to let you specify the angles in a way that makes what youā€™re aiming for actually work, but itā€™s not smart enough to do that because theyā€™re missing those features.

(There may also be difficulties communicating between people who want the ability to specify exact angles and fields of view to create home cockpit-style setups, and people with two or three monitors side-by-side they just want to act as a ā€œreally wide screenā€. Both cases can be covered by the same set of underlying features, but they have different ideal user-interfaces for setup. :D)

I mean yes, the angles do make a difference, but I feel like it doesnā€™t change the perspective, it changes what does or doesnā€™t line up. Like, if I get it wrong Iā€™m either missing a section of the cockpit or thereā€™s a duplicate section of the cockpit.

I have 3 TVs in a U shape, with my desk in the middle. That should be really easy to set up in the sim, butā€¦ no.

I have side monitors set at 50 deg, and the present facility works very well, provided I set a constant (default) zoom factor which does not reset when the view is reset.
In cockpit view this is OK, and the default zoom can be set, and it remains constant, even if the view is reset.
In external view, infuriatingly, while the zoom can be set to a particular value, if the view is reset, the zoom is also reset to 50, which cocks up the monitor alignment!!
Please please Asobo, allow me to set a default external zoom that remains constant and Iā€™ll be happy if you leave MM support as it is in 2024!!

2 Likes