Turbulence -- excessive or real world realistic

The system calculates the sun intensity on each sampled point on the ground based on time of year, time of day, location and whether or not there is shade, which is then used for the ground heating system that results in updrafts and downdrafts depending on the scenery. I think the reason why some people find it excessive and others don’t is frankly many people seem to have a false impression of what real life flight is like in a light aircraft. On a hot and sunny day the turbulence can be far greater than what we currently see in the sim.

8 Likes

I can confirm that. I had a very rough flying lesson only on Saturday, after which I was pretty exhausted. That’s because the turbulence challenged me in a way I’ve never seen or felt in the simulator. The turbulence’s in the simulator are a lukewarm breeze compared to that… :wink:

6 Likes

WHich is yet one more reason why the “Simulator” need a way to control the amount of Turbulance that it is going to present to the Pilots.

Its not just a request fro a slider to REDUCE the Turbulance, but also, to have the ability to increase it to hight, maximum realistic levels.

Some want MORE turbulence, some want the ability to control and have less.
We already can alter so many other variable weather parameters, to suit our “Simulation” needs, wind, rain, cloud, etc… (Visibility & Humidity one day ? ), so why not include in those controllable parameters, something as important as Turbulence ??

2 Likes

Instead of guessing if they added/changed/unblocked turbulences I added a direct question about it for next dev Q&A session. As it seems that it is forbidden to advertise other topics for voting I won’t add here the link. :slight_smile:

I just voted on this:
Can you explain what factors are currently taken into account in thermal/updraft model and what are the future plans for realistic soaring weather? - Community / Dev Q&A: In Review - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Votes were tallied last Friday and questions submitted to the Developers on Friday. Additional votes wouldn’t matter in this case.

There is still possibility to ask questions during the Q&A session, if many different people will ask questio. About updraft/thermals/turbulences there is greater chance for answer, no guarantees though.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I predict a large amount of the Q&A time, will be taken up promoting Top Gun !!

3 Likes

Since turbulence is derived from other factors like the weather, and you can control the weather, it’s arguable that this is already implemented.

[Edited] You know what, let people have their slider. Consider it a realism setting, consider it an accessibility setting to avoid nausea, consider it whatever you wish. Who are we to gatekeep people? If they’re not having a good time, and they’re playing for entertainment rather than trying to train, maybe customizing the experience for comfort is fine.

2 Likes

EXCELLENT Solution – issue over … thank you … !!!

Looks like this argument would also solve the CTD issues. ?

ie

Since CTDs are derived from other factors like running MSFS, and you can control if you run MSFS or not, it’s arguable that a fix for CTD’s is already implemented.

2 Likes

Turbulence is totally overdone.

Would be good if there were a “Turbulence” slider.
However that wouldn’t help when using life weather, since live weather csnnot be altered at all.

So I’d opt for reducing the turbulence first.

So, just in case you’re doing some kind of sarcasm thing (I can’t tell from your post), you have marked this thread as “solved”. If that wasn’t your intention, you might want to undo that.

2 Likes

Yeah and serious, in-depth, technical questions never get any attention during those Q&As, it’s DX12, DLSS, world updates and Top Gun.

2 Likes

How much should the intensity of thermal updrafts and downdrafts be reduced for you to consider it to be realistic based on your experience flying in a light aircraft in real life? And which aircraft is that?

3 Likes

Totally wrong!..you can control the weather parameters…but it will have no influence whatsoever on the turbulence…it officially should…but it doesn’t …no matter what you do in the simulator, no matter what you change in the options or weather…the turbulence will remain right there…why?..simply because it is hard coded…it is just there always…period.

The only thing that might produce less turbulence is to fly early in the morning or at dusk/dawn…or in the month of January…which by itself is also wrong because you will be “forced” to fly only under those conditions if you somehow want to avoid some turbulence.

Bottom line:

Adjustable option should be implemented…period.

The sooner the better.

3 Likes

Turbulence is not overdone. If anything they need to increase it, not reduce it. Never experienced turbulence in the sim similar to what I experience flying GA planes in real life.

2 Likes

But then, what level of turbulence is that specific model supposed to produce? Light? Moderate? Severe? Extreme? Has that been asked or is that already answered? How many times real world pilots in light aircraft have to face severe or extreme turbulence during final approach? Is that very common?

The point with a simulator is to replicate real world as close as possible, period.

2 Likes

Yes, turb below 3000 ft is extremely common. If im descending above a tree line near runway threshold, you better believe im expecting it. However thats a response to a turbulence question thats unrelated.

The bumpiness in this thread is caused by the sun heating the air unevenly.

When i first learned to fly, it was in a C172 in the heat of summer. I cant tell you how often my stomach was twisted due to this until i got used to it.

If there is a slider, it should be in realism settings. Putting it anywhere else makes the simulated atmosphere unrealistic.

If you want to make flying easier, realism settings is the place to put it. Not in weather menu.

4 Likes

I think it much depends on the planning. If they plan to make a flight on summerday when the ground is hot that makes air move up then they would expect more turbulence and if they plan to fly on the morning when the ground is cold they would expect less. Take sea as an example. On the day it’s more waves than in the morning. Same thing but waves we can see. The sun heats the earth and make the wind move. Without sun/heat we would have calm air.