Turning Radius with G1000

Is there a way to tweak to get more or less of a turning radius?

Turning radius? g1000?

What do you mean?

There are the regular markings on the heading indicator that marks standard rate (the old “two minute turn”) and half standard rate turns. You can turn less than those marks, or more than those marks to change your rate of turn. If that’s what you’re getting at…
Regards

Right now if AP does a 180 the turn is to the second mark( I think 20 degrees) … can I change that to make it go to the 3rd mark(I think 30 degrees)

I don’t think there’s any specific mode for the AP to increase bank rate (you can reduce it to half bank on some systems). The only work around I can think of is to use the “pitch and roll” standard modes. If you’re not in any of the regular AP modes, the AP defaults to “pitch” and “roll”. I haven’t tested it in the sim, but you should be able to set a specific roll angle, and then engage AP and it should maintain the bank angle you’ve established.
Untested in the sim…
Regards

1 Like

that was a tweak that was available in FSX in the aircraft.cfg file in the autopilot section. I suspect you can do the same in MSFS but the autopilot section is likely in a different .cfg file.

1 Like

here’s what the fsx autopilot section looks like… you would modify max_bank.

i am not at the pc with msfs to tell you where this is in MSFS

[autopilot]

autopilot_available = 1

use_no_default_bank = 1

use_no_default_pitch = 1

flight_director_available = 0

default_vertical_speed = 1000

autothrottle_available = 0

autothrottle_arming_required = 0

autothrottle_takeoff_ga = 1

autothrottle_max_rpm = 90

pitch_takeoff_ga = 8

default_pitch_mode =0

default_bank_mode =0

max_pitch = 10

max_pitch_acceleration = 1

max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt = 2

max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt = 1.5

max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt_breakpoint = 20000

max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt_breakpoint = 28000

max_bank= 25

max_bank_acceleration = 1.8

max_bank_velocity = 3

max_throttle_rate = 0.1

1 Like

That was it. In the system.cfg … ;max_bank = 20.0 changed to 30…works like a top. Thanks so much!

2 Likes

awesome and thanks for posting the result.

1 Like

Glad you found what you wanted.
By the way, although you’ve figured out what you wanted to do, just for clarity, I’ve attached a pic showing the standard rate turn indicators in case other people read this thread and aren’t sure where those are located (circled in red, just above the instrument).
Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.