Turtle Beach and Honeycomb - Better Together

Xbox Series X | Honeycomb Alpha XPC | Honeycomb Bravo | Turtle Beach VelocityOne Flight Stick | Turtle Beach Rudder Pedals | Axair MIAP | keyboard | mouse | Xbox controller

With Turtle Beach releasing a firmware update to their Flight Stick allowing it to act as a server for their rudder pedals, I believe this is the top of the mountain in terms of peripheral setups for Xbox at this point.

I picked up the Flight Stick, initially only intending to enable use of their rudder pedals. The rudders looked like a fine product and I was never all that impressed with my T.Flight rudder pedals, though they did serve me well for a long time. Turns out, the flight stick ended up being one of my favorite parts of my setup - comically inexpensive for what it gives you as a standalone device, and very practical and fun to use when combined with a traditional yoke and throttle. Wanted to share some ideas on how I’ve incorporated this into my dumb little cockpit.

Firstly, I made a “Stick Only” master profile, with all pertinent mappings and control surfaces configured. This was in order to just be able to drag out the stick and fly, not worry about getting everything set up. Trigger is mapped to brakes, rudders and ailerons and elevators are mapped to the stick, and levers are mapped to flaps and throttles. TO/GA on the forward throttle detent and reverse thrust on the aft detent.

Buttons on the left hand side:
Drone camera
Display VFR Map
Display Navlog
Lights
Buttons on the right hand side:
Toggle Parking Brake
Toggle Landing Gear
ATC Panel Choice 1
Display ATC

Decided since I have a real stick now, I’d break out this master profile into customized profiles for all stick aircraft - this turned into me primarily using the stick for all flights in KitFox, Vision Jet, military aircraft, Airbus A32x, etc. Also set up “stick only” profiles for helicopters and gliders - someday I’ll try and practice that type of flying a little more. Great to be able to just grab the stick, fire up the sim and have some casual fun quickly.

Introduce the Honeycomb Bravo back into the mix, and with that comes a whole new subset of flight stick profiles that still allow for control of all surfaces of stick-based aircraft, but with throttles and flaps and gear all handled by the Bravo. Basically, not touching the Alpha for anything besides battery/alternator/lights, but letting it act as a server for the throttle quadrant. Happy to share any of these complete profiles with anyone who cares; I don’t have each and every plane mapped out, but I sure have a whole bunch of em.

So what about yoke aircraft? I had figured I’d just leave the flight stick swung over to the side of my desk and out of the way, let it drive my rudder pedals, and just use Alpha and Bravo to fly. But gosh darn it, I missed that sweet-feeling stick and the placement of the thumb buttons, and the ability to easily trigger a real chronograph right in front of me.

So now when I’m flying with my Alpha yoke, which is probably 95% of the time, the flight stick handles pretty much all of my cameras. All control surface mappings are removed, as well as throttles, flaps, lights, parking brake etc. Center button is for Smart Cam, base button is for Drone Cam. Xbox controller is still used to control the Drone when in drone mode.

The best part is the thumb joystick and hat switch on the Flight Stick. On my Honeycomb Alpha, I use the right hand thumb joystick to freely look around the cockpit (rather than quick views, as it’s mapped out of the box), but the rigidity of the movement of that thumbstick was never all that satisfying and honestly made me miss my VelocityOne yoke. It’s either down, left, right, or up, with no nuance in the movement. Made for some jittery looks around the cockpit. Now I can free-look with my left hand on the sidestick and use that sweet thumbstick and it almost feels like I’m using TrackIR or Tobii or whatever while my right hand’s busy flying. It’s really great at keeping up with me and what I want to be seeing!

In addition, since the pedals are now handling rudders and brakes, I can now use the flight stick trigger as a “shift” button - when I use trigger in conjunction with the hat switch and the two “soft” buttons on the front of the flight stick, I can translate around the cockpit - forward, backward, left, right, up, and down. Trim wheel handles zoom in/zoom out.

End result? Total control over all cameras using the hand that wasn’t doing anything anyway. I think if you hop in this sim trying to play make believe, and if you strive for immersion and storytelling no matter what you’re flying, the best aid to this experience is to try and best leverage the awesome camera controls that are built into MSFS.

All com/nav radios and altimeter are handled by Axair MIAP. Quick-switch default camera views and VFR map and flashlight and a whole bunch of other stuff are handled by keyboard. Autopilot functionality (ALT, VS, OBS, HDG, IAS) as well as flight director and yaw damper are handled by Honeycomb Bravo.

Happy to share any additional controller profiles for any of my peripherals, as well as any other details. Didn’t really intend to clutter this thread up with tables full of yoke and throttle mappings, as those are readily available elsewhere and largely left to personal preference - just wanted to show off how a really cool and immersive setup can be had on Xbox. And also to say I really, really love Turtle Beach’s flight stick! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just finished adding Slew Mode controls to the flight stick - never messed around with Slew very much. Looking forward to taking a couple mulligans on some landings here and there.

I have the alpha bravo and velocity rudders. I cant get any of it to work. Im new to all this but youre the first person to have a similar set up.

I cant get the game to actually recognize the bravo or pedals at all.

Youre not using the xbox hub correct? So is there so trick to get the bravo to actually be seen?

Im going to try and update the pedals on the pc then connecting but so far i havent been able to get the throttle to work once.

I am using the hub.

You on Xbox or PC?

I see you have the under-desk mounts for the Alpha and Bravo. I’ve been considering buying them, but worry they may put the controls too low. What’s your experience? Are they worth spending the $140?

Yeah, I have those, bought from this seller.

I had the same concerns - full disclosure, I do have an electric standing desk, and I do end up bumping it up just a inch and a half or so when I fly just for the best ergonomics. Your experience will depend on your desk height, your preferred seating position when flying, and whether or not your chair has arms - should consider all of these things.

However! These, coupled with the wall mounts available from the same seller, have totally changed the game for me. My office used to have Honeycomb ■■■■ strewn all over the couch and I’d just grab it and screw it onto my desk whenever I wanted to fly - it was messy, and it was discouraging when it came time to flying because the setup was so intensive. When I did finally get it set up, I’m balancing a keyboard on top of my Alpha (not comfortable) and reaching way over to the opposite side of my Bravo to run my mouse (super not comfortable). It’s sooooo clean to just pluck these off the wall, tighten four little thumbscrews, and have every single inch of your desk real estate still available for whatever you’d like.

The prices end up being steep, largely because of shipping from AUS, but they are my favorite purchase I’ve ever made for this hobby, because everything is right where I want it, it’s clean and not cluttered, and the ease of setting it up has made me motivated to fly at least twice as much as I was before.

Yeah, I’d recommend :slight_smile:

P.S. the seller is a really, really rad guy as well. He’s very nice, and provides great product support. The quality of his parts and ingenuity of his designs rivals that of mass-produced factory parts, and he’s just fun to talk to without being overbearing or weird. Super cool guy.

1 Like

Xbox, I have the hub and for the most part stuff is working. The throttle seems only to work once in a while, actually setting the button mapping. Seems like 90% of the buttons don’t actually register. Also running into an issue where the velocity one pedals light up as if they’re in xbox pass-through mode, but they don’t register for any controls or button mapping.

I got a response from Honeycomb saying that the XPC Alpha yoke and Bravo throttle are only compatible with the Charlie rudders and not any third party Xbox rudder pedals. How are you able to get your set up to work? Thank you!

I am running my Turtle Beach pedals through my Turtle Beach flight stick.

1 Like

Try loading the sim with all devices unplugged. Then plug them back in. It works for me. I use the velocityone rudders plugged into the velocityone yoke, and i use the Alpha and Bravo via the xbox hub

Hey there,
You got me hooked with your post.
I use MSFS on Xbox and PC.
Used the Velocityone for a start and just bought the pedals plus flightstick.
However, always tempted to buy honeycomb alpha and bravo for (assumed) better feel and quality. Didnt do as rudder pedals not yet avail.
Now after readibg your post i want to implemebt ypur setup and ordered alpha and bravo and if it works sell velocityone.
So would really appreciate you send me configs for both (1) full setup (alpha, bravo, flightstick and pedals) for xbox and (2) stick alone which i will use with laptop
My email is tom@diefischerfamilie.de
Would really appreciate your support.
All the best, Tom

Happy to help you, and will share my mappings with you within this post, just for others’ visibility as well. However, I have different configurations for almost every aircraft I fly - would be helpful to know what type of profile you’re looking to set up, and I can take it from there.

Thanks, very classic:

• Cessna 172
  • Airbus A320 neo
    So these 2 would be great abd I assunen many fly them as well.
    What plane is your favourite?
    Best Tom

Sweet! So here’s my TB Flight Stick profile, I call it “Honeycomb - Camera and Rudders” since I use it alongside my Honeycomb stuff, and it essentially only handles camera functions, ATC, and acts as a server for my brakes and rudders via the TB Pedals. I would use this same profile for both the A320 and the C172, although you may want to modify the A320 profile to also include a Nose Wheel Steering Axis on the Z (twist) axis of the stick:

Trigger - Shift Function

Left Hat - Quick views, pilot positions, instrument views

Right Hat -

Left Button B16 -

Right Button B17 - Toggle cockpit/external views

Cursor button 26 - click with Trigger for Toggle Taxi Ribbon

Trim dial - click with Trigger for Toggle Nameplates

Left axis -

Right axis -

Left base B1 5 -

Left base B2 6 -

Left base B3 20 -

Left base B4 21 -

Right base B5 1 -

Right base B6 2 -

Right base B7 3 - ATC Panel Choice 1

Right base B8 4 - Display ATC

And here’s my Alpha/Bravo mappings for the 172:

Alpha XPC

Left Side

Left PTT 9 - ATC Choice 1

Hat POV - Views

Left push 10 - Reset Cockpit/External View

Left rocker down 28 - Previous Pilot Position

Left rocker up 5 - Next Pilot Position

Right rocker down 29 - Previous Instrument View

Right rocker up 6 - Next Instrument View

Left push and left PTT 9 + 10 Toggle Smart Camera

Right Side

Right red 31 - Display ATC

Right push 30 - Toggle Cockpit/External View

Top rocker left 3 - Cockpit/External Quick View Left

Top rocker right 4 - Cockpit/External Quick View Right

Bottom rocker left 1 - Rudder trim left

Bottom rocker right 2 - Rudder trim right

Trim wheel up 62

Trim wheel down 61

Switches

Up is on, down is off

Alt - Set Alternator

Battery - Set Master Battery

Avionics 1 - Set Avionics Master 1

Avionics 2 - Set Avionics Master 2

Beacon - Set Beacon Lights

Land - Set Landing Lights

Taxi - Set Taxi Lights

Nav - Set Nav Lights

Strobe - Set Strobe Lights

————

BRAVO

Aux 1 50- Set Parking Brake

Aux 2 51 - Set Pitot Heat

Aux 3 52- Set Anti Ice

Aux 4 53 - Set Windshield De-Ice

Aux 5 54- Set Yaw Damper

Aux 6 55 - Set Electric Fuel Pump 1-4

Aux 7 56 - Set Cabin Lights

Throttle button 70 - TO/GA

Throttle Axis 1 63 - GA Throttle 1

Throttle Axis 5 64 - Spacer

Throttle Axis 6 65 - Spacer

Throttle Axis 7 66 - Spacer

Throttle Axis 8 67 - GA Mixture 1

Throttle Axis 9 68 - Spacer

And the A320:

VelocityOne Stick

Honeycomb - Camera and Rudders

Alpha XPC

Left Side

Left PTT 9 - ATC Choice 1

Hat POV - Views

Left push 10 - Reset Cockpit/External View

Left rocker down 28 - Previous Pilot Position

Left rocker up 5 - Next Pilot Position

Right rocker down 29 - Previous Instrument View

Right rocker up 6 - Next Instrument View

Left push and left PTT 9 + 10 Toggle Smart Camera

Red switches - 15 and 16 - Set Battery 1/Set Battery 2

Right Side

Right red 31 - Display ATC

Right push 30 - Toggle Cockpit/External View

Top rocker left 3 - Cockpit/External Quick View Left

Top rocker right 4 - Cockpit/External Quick View Right

Bottom rocker left 1 - Rudder trim left

Bottom rocker right 2 - Rudder trim right

Trim wheel up 62

Trim wheel down 61

Switches

Up is on, down is off

Alt - Set Battery 1

Battery - Set Battery 2

Avionics 1 17 - Set Engine 1 Fuel Valve

Avionics 2 18 - Set Engine 2 Fuel Valve

Beacon - Set Beacon Lights

Land - Set Landing Lights

Taxi - Set Taxi Lights

Nav - Set Nav Lights

Strobe - Set Strobe Lights

————

BRAVO

Aux 1 50- Set Parking Brake

Aux 2 51 - Set APU

Aux 3 52- APU Starter

Aux 4 53 - Toggle External Power

Aux 5 54- Set Anti Ice

Aux 6 55 - Set Yaw Damper

Aux 7 56 - Set Cabin Lights

Throttle buttons 70 + 71 - Autothrottle Disconnect

Throttle Axis 1 63 - Airbus Spoiler

Throttle Axis 5 64 - Spacer

Throttle Axis 6 65 - Airbus Throttle 1

Throttle Axis 7 66 - Airbus Throttle 2

Throttle Axis 8 67 - Spacer

Throttle Axis 9 68 - Airbus Flap Lever

**Note the new mappings here on the ignition switch to act as the engine select knob, and the two gray avionics switches on the Alpha act as Engine 1 and Engine 2 start - pretty cool

1 Like

Wow! Thank you for providing this very detailed setup.

I also have the Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo and currently looking into my rudder pedals options for the Xbox Series X. I’m thinking of leaning in your direction as well. I do have some questions.

Did you get the Turtle Beach Flightstick and Rudder pedals because the Honeycomb Charlie pedals weren’t released at the time?

If you now had the choice between the Charlie and TBRP, which would you choose? I haven’t tried either but the TBRP seems more traditional and functional (if that makes sense). The Charlie seem very modern and too minimal and I’m not sure if that’s ideal. Seems rather ambitious.

Just to get some clarification. Normally the TBRP aren’t compatible with Honeycomb so you’re bypassing this by hooking up the TBRP into your TB Flightstick that’s connected to your xbox and having both the Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo connected to your Xbox too? If this is what you’re doing, does MSFS ever get confused or buggy in any way?

So I’m wondering if I should keep my setup simple by just adding the Charlie pedals or having the TB flightstick for extra functional/camera options (just like you) and having the option to use the flightstick if I ever want to fly helicopters along with the TBRP.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Hey! Thanks for the feedback.

Did you get the Turtle Beach Flightstick and Rudder pedals because the Honeycomb Charlie pedals weren’t released at the time?

Yeah, when preorders for Charlie opened up I hovered over the Place Order button on the last step of checkout for a good long time, thinking about the modularity that I desired with my setup. It came down to this: the pic I posted in the original post is when I’m all set up to fly with no distractions, but sometimes I just like to fire up the sim and fly some patterns or whatever, if I have 20-30 minutes to spare at the end of the night. Opting for Turtle Beach pedals always under my desk, connected to my stick clamp that takes two seconds to swing over to the front of my desk, means I can be up and flying with all needed flight controls, including rudders and toe brakes, in the time it takes for the sim to load. Flight Stick plus rudders is a great experience all by itself, IMO. Buying Charlie and needing to run the Xbox Hub would have eliminated my ability to do any flying with my feet without rigging everything up.

If you now had the choice between the Charlie and TBRP, which would you choose? I haven’t tried either but the TBRP seems more traditional and functional (if that makes sense). The Charlie seem very modern and too minimal and I’m not sure if that’s ideal. Seems rather ambitious.

I’m ready for the FOMO when Charlie reviews start popping up on YouTube, etc. Their build quality is GREAT, and the completionist in me still wants the full set. They’re huge (which doesn’t matter much to me in terms of portability since they’ll be under my desk all the time anyway), but my chair legs fit nicely in the gap between Turtle Beach’s rudders and no such gap exists on Charlie. So whether I’m moving them around or not, the size and design is a little less desirable to me when my desk needs to function for work as well as flight simulator. Turtle Beach’s rudders are nice and heavy, but the finish on the plastic is not becoming of its high price point. That being said, swappable GA/Airliner pedals, four different options for foot width, two different options for tension…that’s where the money comes in and I don’t regret buying these thoughtfully-engineered pedals. Toe brake resistance…wish that were a little better on TB. Don’t know how Charlie handles that. TB brakes are a little “floppy”. To answer your question, based on the modularity aspect that I mentioned, and not having to rig everything up all of the time, I’d still go with TB over Charlie.

Just to get some clarification. Normally the TBRP aren’t compatible with Honeycomb so you’re bypassing this by hooking up the TBRP into your TB Flightstick that’s connected to your xbox and having both the Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo connected to your Xbox too? If this is what you’re doing, does MSFS ever get confused or buggy in any way?

Correct. I have a 7-port powered USB hub connected to my Xbox. Connected to that hub, at all times, is my flight stick, the cables for Alpha/Bravo/Hub (attached under my desk as pictured, with just enough extra cable to bridge the gap once I actually mount Alpha and Bravo), as well as my USB LED lighting for Alpha/Bravo, keyboard, mouse, and Axair MIAP.

Rudders are always connected to the stick, and cables are managed and hidden to allow for me to put the stick wherever I want it in front of me (left hand side stick for Airbus/Vision Jet, taildragger/helicopter flying with the stick right in front of me, etc). Starting the sim is just a matter of deciding how I want to fly, loading the sim on Xbox, and turning on whatever peripherals I need to use with my USB hub. MSFS recognizes the following peripherals: Xbox controller, mouse, keyboard, Honeycomb Alpha XPC (with Bravo mappings grouped in here too), Turtle Beach Flight Stick (with rudder mappings grouped in here too). No bugs or glitches - if you see this happen, you’ve got mapping conflicts. Once I resolved these we were good to go.

So I’m wondering if I should keep my setup simple by just adding the Charlie pedals or having the TB flightstick for extra functional/camera options (just like you) and having the option to use the flightstick if I ever want to fly helicopters along with the TBRP.

Can’t recommend my setup highly enough, for the modularity I’ve mentioned, and because of how much I rely on doing cute stuff with the camera to bring realism and storytelling to the flight sim experience. Reaching over with the left hand and using TB’s thumb joystick is an excellent tactile experience and I feel like I’m using it for what it was made for - it all just clicks!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

No problem! Sorry to be so long winded, I’m really proud of how all of this works together and it makes me excited to share the details of how it all rigs up. Very happy Xbox flyer here, and I don’t even think about building a PC anymore. Got everything I could ever want. Okay except VATSIM. But still.

1 Like

Thank you again. I’m going to purchase the stick and pedals today.

1 Like

You reminded me of the best part of this setup - it can actually be purchased and had :joy:

1 Like

Wonderful write up, I’ve got a slew of gizmos as well, the full TB suite. I was sweating just thinking about the amount of time it would take in the Control Options menus after reading your post! Still waiting for achievements to be launched for “time spent in the menus” lol.

I will re-visit your post and consider some of your interesting binds, the trigger as a shift is clever. I’m intrigued by the camera control layout you’ve come up with though, I currently have the hat and trim wheel set up for heading bug, altitude and V/S. Thumb joystick for my 4 favourite saved cockpit cameras, too bad it’s finicky on precision, seeing as it has 8 directions on it, half the time I have to press my thumb twice to trigger the command.

1 Like

Thanks! I definitely have almost as much fun programming flight controls as I do flying. Tickles my OCD funny bone to have everything just right. I realize that for most, it’s very tedious.

Joystick/hat behavior - I was torn between doing it your way after seeing a few YouTube tutorials on effective controls mapping but opted instead for more camera fun. I really like how you have it set up too though. More functional for more different types of aircraft. Less using a mouse. Love it!

1 Like