[TUTORIAL] How to get a SMOOTH experience in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

I have a g-sync 144Hz monitor, and get great results with v-sync OFF in the sim, but set to FAST in Nvidia Control Panel and setting the frame rate cap in Nvidia Control Panel to 40 FPS. I found setting the frame rate cap in game gave very poor results.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! Its very interesting to see how the experience varies on each system.
I tested every possible combination of Vsync and capped frames etc. and the way i provided in the video is the absolute best for my system/experience.

But yeah, everyone has to find the settings that worked the best.
As you have a Gsync monitor, does Gsync work properly for you? For whatever reason it doesnt work correctly on my end.

Exactly
the tutorial doesnā€™t make sense

Why doesnt it make sense only because i use the Global tab? Enlighten me please :slight_smile:
If you want to use the Program-Tab, it makes no difference in the endā€¦ personal preference.
As i dont play other games i just use the Global tab.

Yes, gsync seems to work fine. I tested by using my monitors OSD to show the frame rate and that matched nvidia overlay. It has gsync built in, not one of the gsync compatible monitors, although that shouldnā€™t make a difference.

1 Like

Nice. Yeah, mine is an official Gsync one too but sometimes the Refreshrate matches the FPS but as soon i move the camera it goes back to fixed refresh-rate. Its very annoying because i basically bought the monitor for MSFS. In other games it works absolutely perfect.

Weird - Iā€™ve not noticed anything like that on mine. Donā€™t know what to suggest

Iā€™m on rock bottom, unsupported graphics and these tips certainly help although changing my (HDTV) monitorā€™s refresh rate to 30fps wasnā€™t available so I left that unchanged at 59
and set the same in control panel.

Fanless GT1030 @ 720p

Nuremberg is pretty intense but it never drops below 24fps and in the wilds itā€™s a solid 30. Donā€™t laugh but Iā€™ve been waiting 10 weeks for my new GPU (tbf they said up to 12) otherwise I have a 3800x cpu and CL14 memory which will give ultra eventually.

1 Like

Iā€™ll just put this here so folk can see whatā€™s possible even with an unsupported GT1030, The Nvidia settings pretty much as HXArdito describes.

Just one other thing. I see slight microstuttering here, my 3800X actually runs MSFS smoother when I reduce it from 8 cores to 4 in bios but I had the odd sound drop out which is probably related and recording with Afterburner I expect to be too much of an ask.

1 Like

Thats pretty impressive for this card/CPU combo!

Hereā€™s a nice one except the sudden bump in the cliffā€™s elevation was a bit scary. Check that it plays in 720p

1 Like

Moved topic to #community:general-discussion-feedback

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.