[TUTORIAL] How to get a SMOOTH experience in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Hey fellow Pilots !:man_pilot:

I just uploaded a tutorial on how to achieve the best possible smoothness in MSFS by limiting your frames and set monitor refresh-rate accordingly.

Check it out and let me know if it was useful and if you have any questions!:grinning:

11 Likes

Thanks for the video.

The graphic settings have improved my sim frame rates, but since I use a G-Sync monitor that synchs with a variable frame rate, if I set the frame rate to 30 in the sim, it causes a blur when the camera moves. For my G-Sync monitor ir works best if the VSync in the sim is disabled.

1 Like

Yeah, this is more intended for fixed refreshrate. I also have a Gsync monitor, but sadly it doesnt work properly with MSFSā€¦ so i have to use fixed refreshrate. :frowning:

What GPU do you have? I have a 2080ti and run in 4K. I will try your settings tonight. Thank you.

1 Like

Do you have G-Sync enabled? If so V-Sync on or off shouldnā€™t make any difference whatsoever until the framerate exceeds the monitors refresh rate (perhaps 144 fps), as the V-sync only changes what happens above that threshold when G-sync is enabled.

Also have a 2080Ti. Not quite 4K, i run 3440x1440.

1 Like

Is there any difference between limiting the frame rated to 30 and turning on V-Sync in the NCP vs. turning on those two options in the sim options or is the end result the same?

I hope i understand your question right:
Turning on vsync either in NCP or the game SHOULD give you the same result. However, preferably you would always use the games internal vsync as it MIGHT turn on optimisations in the game engine. In the end, you should test both options on your end and see what works better.
Just avoid to force it in both, NCP nad the game at the same time.

Only limiting the frames without enabling vsync does not give you the same result tho. It is jittery on my end and of course you can get tearing.

1 Like

I tried your settings, and at 4K on my LG panel it caused stutters/lagging when panning around. Switched back to 60hz, kept prefer max performance and vertical sync to Fast and I was back to smooth.

I always wonder why so many people adjust the nVIDIA settings in the global settings tab instead of specifically for the software they want to useā€¦

2 Likes

I do it because i leave this changes always on and dont change them per game. Idk, for me personally its simpler like this. :slight_smile:

PS: AnkH aus dem ILS-Forum? GruƤss :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Do you play on a TV screen? Are you reaching 30FPS minimum?
I could only imagine that it doesnt work well on a TV screen. However, everyone needs to find the settings that work best for them, there is no ā€œgolden settingā€ that works for everyone.
Happy flying! :slight_smile:

Yes, it is a 55" LG 4k panel. I appreciate your efforts in promoting smooth flying. Thatā€™s my ultimate goal- to have the smoothest possible flying. Nothing worse than a slideshow on final. I know Iā€™m pushing a lot of pixels at 4K for the 2080ti, but my system handles it well 90% of the time with high/ultra settings.

1 Like

Makes sense, but as I dont want to ruin the experience for my other games, I might try your settings within the MSFS specific tab.

Richtig grate :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Pete, thanks for your advice and tutorial.

Iā€™ve been following your YT channel from the sideline since you started it and shared some good tips about enhancing P3d, Shaders and so on (ages ago :wink:).

We may disagree on some settings you advice, but there is one question I would ask you.

I always thought the difference in ā€œGlobal-settingsā€ and ā€œProgram-settingsā€ in Nvidia Control Panel had to do with primary (the main) programs and specific applications like Games, video / audio editing etc.

Therefor I always assumed the ā€œProgram-settingsā€ tab was the one which could be adjusted to gain some performance or visual quality in these specific applications.

I hope you can tell me what the difference between these two is.

1 Like

Whatā€™s weird and well known since the start is that keeping the frame limit to 60 improve your minimum framerate when compared to 30 fps, even if the vsync is on and capped at a given refresh rate that is be lower than the average framerate, so it will be smoother because of the consistency but the eventual dips will be higher with 60 fps limit than 30 fps.

Hey mate! Oh wow, thank you for following my channel since the ā€œoldā€ days :slight_smile:

There is no difference between the two tabs. Its just that with the game-specific tab you can have different settings depending on the related game, so you dont have to change these settings for different games manually.

I just use the global tab for personal preference and its easier to track my changes on one profile instead of having to check every game-profile after a driver-update.
But there is no difference at all in the end. :slight_smile:

Of course we can disagree, i dont have the ā€œholy grailā€. I just spend lots of time with monitoring my system and find the ā€œperfectā€ settings for me and share them, as always, every system is different and not everyone likes my approach. :slight_smile:

I know what you mean. There was a bug with the in-game vsync a while ago that lowered the frames. However, this is fixed or, atleast, is not true anymore for my system.

If this is the case on your system and you still want to try it, force ā€œVsync ONā€ in Nvidia Control panel instead of in-game and set your monitor to 30Hz. If your monitor refresh-rate minimum is 60Hz, you might want to try ā€œAdaptive (Half refreshrate)ā€ in the Control panel and leave in-game Vsync off in the sim.
So you get the lock at 30FPS but SHOULD not experience lower minimum FPS. :slight_smile:

Youā€™re right, thereā€™s no Holy-grail.
Thatā€™s why I appreciate initiatives like yours which can help simmers to balance their performance.

There will always be people who donā€™t like your approach or disagree with your advice. And like you said, thatā€™s fine. As long as they share their thoughts in an normal manor.

Good luck with your tutorials and thanks again for your recommendations.

1 Like

Exactly, what I do is setting a refresh rate to 30hz, activate vsync ingame only with frame limit set as 60 so it bring those dips a bit higher (aprox. 2-3 fps on my observation), but I wasnā€™t aware that it was fixed, will give it a try. I preffer to set vsync ingame so the engine might plan the resources better to reach that limit, instead of the driver telling it to stop, but it`s pure empiricism.

1 Like