Tutorials for new flight simmers?

Are there some recommended tutorials out there for people new to flight sim? Things like going over how to prepare to take off (in something like a 152/172), how to properly taxi, using the radio, flight controls/gauges, plan routes and so on. Also a list of must have add ons for msfs, need to know hotkeys and general need to know setup/settings in the sim itself?

Thanks!

Lots on YouTube.

• P Gatcomb
  • Kip On The Ground

Those are 2 great GA resources for flying, planning, etc.

• NOTAM

Has a great tutorial series on Navigraph Charts

• FilbertFlies
  • TheSimHangar

Great airliner tutorials

• The Corporate Pilot Dad

Great mix of tutorials and series

• RMAG

Good mix of content and tutorials

I hope that helps.

Another option is check out VATSTAR. It’s all free and an excellent “ground school”.

4 Likes

Thank you for the mention. There are a few airliner tutorials on the channel, but GA and business jets all the way!

Starting with my Learn To Fly Here Series is a great start for new simmers. The Basic Principles of Flight Explained: Straight and Level, Climbs, Descents Turns, Adverse Yaw - YouTube

There are 18 videos in the Learn To Fly Here series, and more are added periodically. The goal is to virtually simulate flight training from 0 hours until getting a Private Pilot License and all flight lessons in between.

There is also a video on the Cessna 152 covering everything inside and out. It’s a little dry, but full of great information. Learn the Cessna 152 INSIDE AND OUT - Microsoft Flight Simulator - YouTube

6 Likes

Not necessarily videos, but check out the #community-support:pilot-guides section as it has a ton of guides for new simmers!

1 Like

Truly appreciate your work on all these tutorials! I’ve been in the sim for 2000+ hours and still find myself going back to your site for tips and especially when starting out with a new aircraft. Learn something (or two somethings) every time. Thanks, keep it up, please!

2 Likes

And just to name the very obvious: there are „flying lessons“ in the sim itself, specifically with the Cessna 152, covering basic instruments and flight maneuvers.

By now those tutorials also cover bigger aircraft like the A320, and more complex operations, including catching an ILS beam for landing.

I am sure you have discovered those tutorial flights already :wink:

1 Like

I got everything I know about setup from ‘Huddison’ and ‘Simhanger’.
Both of these do flying tutorials as well, but the Microsoft tutorials are a very good introduction to take off, cruise and landing, you really cant go wrong with them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.