TV vs monitor - dual 4k setup

Hey,

I’m narrowing down my wishlist for the new rig I’m about to build in a month.
Having a Gigabyte rtx 4090 on board, along with 13900k, I decided to go “full-in” and go for a dual-monitor, 4k, setup (i need that for multi-crew trainers, i.e. pilot+copilot).

However, initially I targeted dual 32’’ 2k monitors (like Gigabyte Aorus), but then found out, that dual 43’’ thing would provide totally different experience.

I’d like to hear your advice regarding refreash rates.
I was looking into Philips 43’’ PUS7605 with 60hz and 43’’ PUS8807 with 120hz option (also promoted to be a bit more gamers-friendly). For sure the latter one is 2 times more expensive, but I’m wondering, will the rig (specified above) even be able to provide 120fps at all, with dual 4k setup? I know about those resolution downscales and all, but still, I don’t know what to do. Is it worth investing little bit more now or, is for such configuration (dual 4k monitor), 60hz just…enough?

What’s your experience with TVs in general? How is it with those G-syncs and v-syncs and TVs? Does it all work normal, no stutters or tearings?

Thanks for your advice.

BR

Ziga

I use TV for MSFS and for other games because I live alone. Basically my logic was why do I need to have a TV for me to watch movies and stuff, and a separate Monitor for PC gaming. I won’t be able to use them simultaneously anyway, so might as well bring my PC to my living room, hook it up to the TV and I would either watch TV or play game at the same spot using the same hardware.

My TV is a Sony X90J 65" 4K HDR 120Hz. It’s pretty good, but my PC is only running on i9-9900K and RTX 2080 Ti, so it’s nowhere near your spec. But it’s still good enough for me. I place my sidestick and throttle quadrant on my Couchmaster and run the wiring underneath the sofa all the way to the PC with an active powered USB extension.

While my TV and PC are both running at 4K HDR 120Hz. due to my specs, I generally fly at 30 FPS anyway. And I’m okay with it, especially since I run everything on Ultra with DLSS Quality. But I play alone, so my TV is enough for myself.

To be honest, if you’re adamant with running dual monitor, my guess is you won’t be able to run at full 120Hz. Like I said, while my rig is nowhere near yours, I can only run MSFS at 30 FPS with simple VSync on a single 4K display even if the monitor is running at 120Hz. If you want to save money, just a normal 60Hz dual 4K monitor should be enough. Otherwise if money is not an issue, then go for dual 120Hz. I just assumed that even with your setup, you won’t be able to run it at full 120 FPS anyway, unless you compromise on the graphics settings and options.

1 Like

I am using triple Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED.

One reason I bought them instead of TV was the price. It was 700$ for Black Friday and I can connect them display port instead of stressing about HDMI.
Also they work as a monitor which helps.

Since I play racing games too high fps and other stuff becomes a problem with Amazon bought cables (at least that what happened to me).

I was using TV (43") before these monitors. Unless I can afford high end 55" OLED, I will not go TV again. (Display port is the main reason)

I fly with a TCL 65 inch 4K HDR TV at 60 Hz refresh
and love it. HDMI

I9-9900K CPU, Z390 MB, 64 GB, Intel A770 LE 16 GB GPU. 4K Ultra, DX12, TAA

When not in VR, I use a 75" 4K QLED TV as my main monitor and it is magnificent. Even though it is a few years old, hence only does 4K60, it does have a game mode for lower latency and plays very nicely with my 4080, which stays pegged at 60 FPS at MSFS 4K Ultra and frame generation enabled.

The (limited) way that MSFS supports multi monitors means that it makes best sense to have three screens of the same size and resolution, side by side.

Whether your graphics card will support three high Res monitors is a different matter.

After trying various different configurations, including a 4k 39" monitor, a highres widescreen curved monitor and a few other setups, I’ve settled on three 1080p 32" monitors for the main display, and three smaller touchscreen monitors running air manager for instruments.

I suggest that you at least try three screens set up in experimental/multi monitor configuration.

Why, in a Flight Simulator, would you strive to get up to 120 Hz ? If you could, what would that really gain you ?

Two 4K Montiors, both Capable of 120Hz, will NEVER achieve that 120Hz with MSFS, no matter how CPU’s improve over the next 8 years — life of MSFS 2020.

This is one thing in life, that no matter how much Money you are prepared to throw at it, you will never achieve 120 fps in MSFS @ 2 * 4K :woozy_face:

What indeed happens if you connect 2 monitors instead of three? What will be considered a midpoint? The line between the two screens?

It really doesn’t seem to work well with two monitors instead of three.

What happens with two monitors? As described above, i only need that bezel is in the middle of the cockpit, the right pilot sees right side, left pilot left side. Is it working that way?

I tried it. It was hopeless. The screen join isn’t the problem. It’s the limited facilities offered by the multi monitor setup that’s the problem.

1 Like

Rgr. Thanks for opinions and advices. I think Ill give a try to 2 4k 120hz monitors, then try to set them up somehow to be functional for pilot+copilot mcc flying, i might downscale a bit if fps will be problematic at heavy sceneries.

I’ve noticed that above roughly 75Hz, I can’t detect individual frame “jumps” in most cases. For fast action (I.e. Fast camera panning or text scrolling), 90Hz keeps things smooth to my eyes. This would be exaggerated on larger screens. Even though having a 120Hz screen may be pointless at 120fps in this sim, it would allow greater than 60fps and thus smoother motions. I’m fine with my 60Hz 27" monitor, but it would be nice to run at at least 75fps if I had the hardware and monitor to support it.

I use a LG Nanocel 55" as monitor from my laptop ASUS ROG…
I know, oled maybe are better, but Nanocel its more bright and clear
My personal opinion :roll_eyes: