Twin Otter at Rothera (British Antarctic Survey Station)

Has anyone flown in or out of Rothera in the Antarctic?

If so, have you heard the constant banging noises when outside the aircraft (with the engines off)?

Any idea what the noise is?

Tap dancing penguins?

4 Likes

Submarines trying to surface?

1 Like

Naughty scientists imprisoned under the ice shelf trying to escape?

1 Like

Anyone with a serious suggestion for the OP?

1 Like

I loaded up a Twotter parked at the base,

and then hopped outside to have a look around.

These guys weren’t making any noise.

These guys were definitely on their way to go somewhere (they looked like they were late for a show or something), but not making any noise.

I couldn’t hear anything that sounded like banging. So I turned the weather into a blizzard to see if maybe it was wind related.

Retreating inside I listened for any sign of racket.

I thought maybe I heard something…

… but then it was gone.

In all seriousness I couldn’t hear anything that I would characterize as banging. Were there specific weather conditions when you were there perhaps? Was FSRealistic making them perhaps? Sorry I could not find anything.

As a side note, I’d forgotten how good that place is. They really did an excellent job of it. I need to fly out of there far more often.

3 Likes

I think it has something to do with the gear either being down or up while on the skis. I can’t test it as I am not by my computer but I remember hearing the same noise before.

1 Like

I just checked and you are 100% correct. If the skis are in the down position while on the ground, the banging sound starts up. It didn’t seem to make the sound when I parked up on a glacier, but definitely does it on the tarmac of the parking and runway.

Well, well. Thank you both so much for your assistance. I am constantly amazed at this little 'plane. Am I right in thinking that I should have the gear down when at the tarmac of the station and up for landing on the snow? (It sounds obvious now that I have typed this).

BTW my Rothera is deserted - where did your penguins and ground equipment come from? I must be missing something.

1 Like

I think it’s skis down on snow, skis up on tarmac. The wheels are fixed. That’s what I do when I fly the skis version (which is rarely because physics-wise I think they are exactly the same as tires, although I would be delighted to be corrected on this point).

As for the animations, I have no idea. But you should look into it, because this place has a fair bit going on. Check out the trailer and the reviews. Maybe ask at the Aerosoft forum as well.

Note: It was @Detoxing09 who came up with the solution.

1 Like

It looks like the penguins came from the back of the building. So they may be hiding as camera shy. :wink:

I do not have Aerosoft’s Rothera but looking at the video it is a ‘must have’. I will order it today!

Thanks once again for your sand everyone’s help. B

Not sure if it’s coincidence or not but there is a bulldozer / excavator moving dirt back and forth on the South East end of the base. It makes a ton of racket from time to time, one of my favorite animations. Edit this is in the Aerosoft version