UK & Ireland Update III woeful

I cannot speak for GB/UK landmark accuracy or quality but the Ireland section of the update is woeful. I had a lot difficulties in downloading but I eventually completed the download & install.
In truth, it wasn’t worth the wait! OK it has a few famous landmarks but 98% of equally interesting landmarks are missing coupled with the fact that most of the buildings do not look anything like the actual ones, for example a factory is modelled to look like a 5 storey office block, many footprints or outlines don’t even correlate to actual. “For crying out loud”, most folk use Google earth and from 20,000 ft up it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to trace around the edge of a building and replicate! BTW I am running the scenery on Ultra quality. If I was asked to score Update III (Ireland); it’s a mediocre 3/10 (Fail).

1 Like

Ireland isn’t in the UK to be fair…

Edit - but it’s fair to say Ireland should probably cover Ireland. Wrong about the final update title.

You aren’t wrong I don’t say i’m from the UK anyways haha. But the topic isn’t wrong the landmarks in Ireland are ■■■■ and most are in the east of Ireland so no interest really.

1 Like

Northern Ireland is … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Edit - Wrongity wrong but leaving for posterity :wink:

A shame, as it’s a beautiful place… but ultimately the update is officially called “World Update III: United Kingdom”, so my personal expectations for somewhere that isn’t in the United Kingdom would have been low.

I know they were hoping to include Ireland more, but given the title alone it was clearly very much an afterthought.

My only point is rating World Update III: United Kingdom by the quality of a country that isn’t in the United Kingdom is perhaps a tad unfair.

That’s not Ireland though, that’s Northern Ireland.

I agree. Ireland really got short-changed here. The mesh isn’t even close to the standards of the UK. I don’t care THAT much for the landmarks, but the coastlines and mountains also leave much to be desired. Cliffs of Moher are unchanged and look awful. Pity really.

2 Likes

Semantics. :slight_smile:
Well, since the Republic of Ireland (Eire) and Northern Ireland share the same island (called Ireland) I’m not sure where you’re going with that argument. :slight_smile:

Well since they put the Irish flag right next to the Union Jack on the loading screen, I expect it should be considered a joint update.

1 Like

Edit - still wrongity wrong and still leaving for humility!

It’s quite simple where I’m going with it, Ireland is not in the UK, this update was officially titled “United Kingdom” there really is no more to it than that. Had it been titled “British Isles” then there would certainly have been a certain expectation about Ireland. From the developer videos it was clear they wanted to include Ireland but it was much more of a “if we have time” proposition from what was said…

If Northern Ireland is lacking in the update, that’s another conversation!

For the record I would love to see improvements to Ireland, I loved visiting as a child and have very fond memories of the place. My only point is that judging the update without having flown in the UK as the OP admits is perhaps a tad disingenuous.

MSFS entitled: “WORLD UPDATE III UNITED KINGDOM & IRELAND” means United Kingdom and Ireland - Maybe its a UK & Ireland somewhere in USA? The UK & Ireland that I’m referring to is the British Isles. The last time I looked the British Isles were north/west of (Continental) Europe in the North Atlantic.

If that’s correct then I apologise, I recalled it being referred to as World Update III: United Kingdom

Edit - so I see they have referred to it officially as both “World Update III: United Kingdom” and “World Update III: United Kingdom and Ireland” depending on where and when you look which was the source of my confusion.

So yes, fair cop - if they are going to chuck an “& Ireland” in there it certainly sets a certain level of expectation! So I reiterate my apology, I was wrong.

I wonder why they have referred to it as both - perhaps they weren’t always sure whether Ireland was going to be included?

1 Like

Have to run with the OP…just booted up…and there the title is…World Update…United Kingdom and Ireland…even both flags are depicted in all their glory…hate to say, but it it is usual MS garbage…promises you the world and delivers you an island…or in this case, not an Ireland :grin:

2 Likes

The USA update wasn’t thrilling, either. Yeah it’s a moderately large country but the additions were few, although they did correct a lot of airport problems as well as added many new ones. The freeware Washington DC landmarks are more accurate, and L.A. is just generic crud except for a few islands of skyscrapers. Asobo seems to mainly be laying the foundations for add-ons that will nickel-and-dime you to death if you want the best quality scenery.

That‘s exactly how I remember it as well and I think it‘s the reason why (sadly) Ireland was a bit neglected. I think the devs were very transparent in this regard. There was another feature they weren’t sure about - churches - which they eventually managed to get in. I guess such uncertainties are the price we pay for scheduled updates and I personally don‘t have a problem with that.
I think by now it‘s pretty clear what we can expect from those world updates. They‘re scenery enhancements here and there but they‘re no True Earths for $30 ($97 in the case of Great Britain).
I for one am quite happy with this update, esp. considering it‘s free. I‘m not so pleased with the new issues it introduced, but that‘s another story.

What’s that hype about the landmarks and POI !

We sometimes call MSFS a game because of the lack of realistic flight physics, being broken further into pierces with each so called update. I’m not sure if we should call it a landmarks simulator instead.

Dev team should focus on solving the broken main simulator core, first off, perhaps postponing any world updates to come as the announced France & BeNeLux.

Don’t k ow if we are speaking of the same World Update. After downloading mine, the introduction images changed from the USA to UK with both the Uk and the Irish flags on top of the pictures

Speaking personally I “play MSFS” for entertainment, to relax, switch off and have a bit of fun. For me in the year 2021 MSFS meets that expectation. But it was Microsoft who tempted us with their big announcement that their next big update would reach these North Atlantic western British Isles (UK & Ireland) so is it not reasonable to expect them to fulfil the expectation that they have created? whether you pay or not is irrelevant. Flying virtually is entertainment and seeing landmarks which look real adds to the experience. I have enjoyed every iteration of MS Flight simulator since the wire frame model nearly 40 yrs ago and in their respective day I have enjoyed every one of them, considering the real challenges of Windows 3.2, 95, 98, Me, xP et al. We shouldn’t knock MSFS or their development teams as it is unquestionably their best iteration yet (along with Windows 10), but it is entertainment that’s all (at least in the current form). I also own P3d 4.5 & xPlane 11 both of which I enjoy albeit for different reasons.
I commenced my PPL in 1972 without the benefit of the virtual addons…

I have to agree, this is a terrible update to the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The fact the Irish flag is even on the update is… well, false advertising.

Please can you get your hands on some Irish data and get it into the Sim. This update does not check the box for the Irish Update.

I fully agree. While Irelqnd ws included in the title and the lag of the Republic of Ireland is in the opening screen the update pretty much ignored Ireland. There are three POI and there is new building type - Church. That’s all I noticed in Ireland. Dissapointing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.