Unable to complete install, Xbox Live error 0x80004005

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
I do not. The simulator is not finished installing.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
I don’t believe so. I’ve only installed the ~ 1 GB Windows App

Brief description of the issue:

NOTE: I’ve been able to run the sim on this PC since the sim launched, as recently as last evening. This is the first time that I’ve done a re-install.

I reset my Windows 10 PC today, as it was time for a cleanup.
After doing some of the preliminary setup after the reset, I went to re-install my Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Premium Deluxe. I went to the Windows Store with the account that purchased it, and I was able to download the “app” to my PC without issue.
Then, I started the app. Went through the Xbox Game Studio and Asobo splash screen without issue.
Then the sim prompted me to log in with my Xbox Live account. I selected the account for my Gamertag, and I was greeted with a log in error, 0x80004005 (attached below)

Here are things that I have tried in the meantime, which resulted in the same error after the sim started:

• I am using the account that purchased MSFS 2020.
  • Reset Windows Store cache, wsreset.exe
  • Ran the Microsoft Store Apps troubleshooter.
  • Install Xbox app, login, and tried to start the game from within the Xbox App.
  • Windows is up to date.
  • Microsoft Store is up to date.
  • Time and Location are setup properly on my PC

I have Microsoft Flight Simulator and Digital Ownership ‘apps’ installed.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Start Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
‘App’ Drive: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product MAXIMUS IX HERO
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1301, 3/14/2018

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
Not sure. The sim is not fully installed yet.

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
I have not… I’ll do that next!

Thanks in advance.

Well…

I just ended up doing a complete re-install of Windows 10. Install went without a hitch, and I didn’t have to log in to Xbox Live when the app started…

So, everything is hunky-dory now.

Would still like to know what that error was all about.

me have the same error today for first time. is it something win10 system releated problems ?

I’m not totally sure… I have only a guess.

I had done a “reset” or “refresh” of Windows 10 before I tried to re-install MSFS. I had decided to keep my files and settings. I think that there was a conflict with my Windows profile that was ‘saved’.
Once I did a full re-install of Windows 10, from scratch without saving my files and settings (I backed up what I wanted), I no longer ran into the problem, and was logged in automatically when MSFS was installing.

I use my copy of 6 month old msfs HD to update and run , no problems. So i came back the the current HD and msfs,did some settings as web post about xbox 0x80004005 issue and restart and install again. It somehow worked. So,i am thinking there are some error both in setting related xbox and server . Maybe go Testing later! TKS.

Did you end up fixing this? Currently going through the same thing with the newest update…

Can you please post the article of the steps you followed so others can see the details? Thank you.

I just started receiving this problem today! :frowning:

I figured it out! Finally!

It was the time…Make sure you have it auto updated your time, in the Time and Language settings…Somehow mine got knicked off today or yesterday…After doing that it loaded right up! Hallelujah lol.

1 Like

@SkyWarrior7407

There was only one step that I went through. I did a clean re-install of Windows 10 to my PC.

I backed up some files from the drive that I have my OS on before I did the re-install, so two steps I guess.

Sounds like CodyLang was able to get it sorted out by adjusting his Time and Language settings.

1 Like

Yeah for some reason…and I don’t know why…My time switched from Auto…so I switched it to Auto, sync’d it, and it worked perfect…Now before I found that easy fix I was literally doing everything I could to fix it…everything…Still working today, thankfully…because yesterday I was nearly at a loss of what to do.

EDIT: I’m thinking it must of happened after windows latest update.

You are the best! My time on computer was 5 mins different from the real time. After syncing the time it works’ Thank you.

the joys of a windows os…