Unlimited fuel: does it impact flight performance

Can anyone say how unlimited fuel impacts flight experience? How is the weight calculated for the aircraft? Can the weight of the aircraft change with the sliders, or does it always remain at full weight?

1 Like

Yes a full tank of full makes it harder to get off the ground.

1 Like

So funny! Yes, I understand how weight affects the aircraft. But, is the weight constant, or does it change over time with unlimited fuel?

1 Like

Yes, it changes over time.
You can see this with the differences between landing on a full tank or empty. Save the game prelanding. You can adjust the fuel in flight with the slider on the menu list. Try it once with a full tank. The plane will hit the ground a lot harder. Do the same again on empty. It is much easier to get a smoother landing with less fuel.

1 Like

So, you are saying that if I set unlimited fuel, and I fly long enough, the plane will act as though it has empty tanks? Or, if I set unlimited fuel and drag the sliders down to zero, I can fly with “empty tanks”?

2 Likes

Yes. If you have unlimited fuel option enabled, it does not adjust the fuel quantities as the game progresses.

3 Likes

I agree with Slydon,
On my sim, the unlimited fuel seems to carry a 50% load and never changes throughout a flight.

2 Likes

The sliders are there for a reason.Yoy can start a transatlantic flight with 30% fuel but unlimited.
No aeroplane lands with empty tanks.They always have 20-30% reserves for unwanted occasions if needed
In the end,when you land,you will have the same effect.
For take off i have seen no issues as well

1 Like

I ran in the Beechcraft king. Full tank you need 110kts for take off. With 3% fuel you only need 89kts.
Video here, give Youtube time to process it. I have only just uploaded this.

1 Like

One person appears to have a direct answer, whether correct or not, I don’t know.

With fuel tanks set to 25% and using the unlimited fuel option, Does the plane weigh in at the correct weight of 25% fuel for the duration of the flight or does unlimited fuel automatically set the weight at 50% for the duration of the flight?

When I fly alone for fun I use unlimited. When I fly in the groups I use real usage and set my fuel based on how long the flight is predicted to last. If I run short somewhere I have that “reset button” where I can add fuel as needed :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use unlimited fuel for VR because I can’t find the reset button in VR yet. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for putting that together! So, the plane behaves according to how you set the fuel and weight, but the fuel quantities don’t change over time.

2 Likes

That would make sense.
Set the plane to 25% fuel load and unlimited fuel. The weight should be equal to 25% fuel, but you don’t consume any as you fly.

3 Likes

Yes. This is exactly how it works. If you set it at ‘Unlimited’ with a specific percentage to a full load, the aircraft will operate as it would at whatever percentage you set it at. 25 is a bit light. Watch your CG.

2 Likes

Yes, I believe the manual weight and cg settings may be broken for some aircraft, but that’s a separate thread. Some aircraft don’t automatically adjust the CG when you adjust weight. I always take off first, then adjust fuel and weight after takeoff.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.